Question about Scorpion's Behaviour

ScarletScales

Arachnopeon
So, I'm still new to the scorpion owning world, I had to sort out problems with enclosure a few months back with the help of some on this site. But since the day I got them back at the start July, they haven't eaten. They immediately formed a nice little hole under the corner water dish and have been under there since, never coming out. I stopped lightly filling the dish with water and placed a smaller one in the middle of the tank just in case as well.
I lightly lift the rock every 3-5 days to make sure its okay and because I don't want to bother it too much, and the movement tells me its fine. I was just wondering if I did something wrong, really. Or if this is just how they are. Its a little juvenile Flinders Ranges, if that makes all the difference in my question.
Apologies if this is something horribly obvious.
20191008_111949.jpg

Last edited:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
So, I'm still new to the scorpion owning world, I had to sort out problems with enclosure a few months back with the help of some on this site. But since the day I got them back at the start July, they haven't eaten. They immediately formed a nice little hole under the corner water dish and have been under there since, never coming out. I stopped lightly filling the dish with water and placed a smaller one in the middle of the tank just in case as well.
I lightly lift the rock every 3-5 days to make sure its okay and because I don't want to bother it too much, and the movement tells me its fine. I was just wondering if I did something wrong, really. Or if this is just how they are. Its a little juvenile Flinders Ranges, if that makes all the difference in my question.
Apologies if this is something horribly obvious.
View attachment 322767
That scorp is very well fed, it can go months without eating again. It may be even in premolt. If that is the case I would just leave it alone it made a scrape beneath the waterdish. Scorpions have a very low metabolic rate around a quarter to a third of that of typical terrestrial arthropods (spiders, mites, solpugids and insects) of the same mass. Scorpions can even slow their MR in order to survive harsher conditions, it can survive a whole year without food and it is documented that scorpions can even survive full water submersion for 48 hours.

Last edited:

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It appears your scorpion is in premolt its pretty ballooned up. Its normal for them to refuse food during this period of time. What's your temp and humidity at? Slightly higher temp and humidity will speed up the process a bit. It takes a bit longer with larger species.

ScarletScales

Arachnopeon
They've been ballooned up like that for about 2 months. It has been rather cold here for a while though. I need to pick up a new hygrometer as well.. Since someone swiped the last one. uxu The soil is not completely, but reasonably dry for the first cm or two (as it uses a false bottom system), save for where she's actually hiding, it seems to stay fairly humid under the rock dish. I know larger species can take longer, but she's still a pretty small juvenile, maybe.. 3cm if I laid the tail out. But if its normal for them to do this, I'll just let her do her thing until I can get a hygrometer and increase the humidity to safe levels. Once I work out what safe levels are for one of her size.

Thank you both for taking the time to read, its daunting to be new to this stuff, especially with pets that can die easily if you get things wrong.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea man depending on what temp you have it in...... if it's to cold it will take longer ....warmer is generally better obviously you dont want it to bake the little bugger either.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Recently read both temperature and temperature variation, day to night, are triggers for a variety of functions inclusive of molting. Test animals that were subject to a control, no variation in temperature, humidity and light took the longest to molt, mature, and seek mates. Apparently their biological clocks not only run very slowly, they utilize external stimulus to trigger.