Question about my rosie

GTiBanshee

Arachnopeon
I've had my rosie "Mr. Spider" for about 2 months now and I love watching him roam the tank. My favorite time is feeding. He usually stalks the crickets and then pounces on them. The he goes off to his favorite corner and does the happy cricket dance, which I love to watch. But lately he skips the dance and just eats his pray. I've also seen him drinking from the water dish at least once a day, maybe more I haven't seen. My question is, is there something wrong. Why won't he do the dance of the cricket anymore? Or is this just a sign that a molt is coming. I have noticed he is less likely to pursue his prey like he used to. Plus there is a spot in one corner heavily covered in web. I'm of the opinion that it is just a molt approaching, and and there is nothing wrong. Please let me know if I am right or wrong.

Thanx,
A concerned owner...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If he is eating then more than likely its not about to molt..
Are you just worried why he is not going back to his favorite corner?

They dont just pick a certain place to eat.. They eat where they want..

lunashimmer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of tarantulas!!!

If you do a search for "G. rosea" or "rose hair" here, you'll find a ton of info. Rosies are the most head-scratching-est Ts out there. Just when you think you've got 'em figured out, they go and do something else. Or NOT do something else and just sit in one place for a looooooooong time. :D

My Rosie the rosie (exciting name, eh? :rolleyes: ) does the happy dance sometimes when I feed her, but not every time. Some days she roams around her tank, some days she sits in one corner and doesn't move at all. G. roseas just do what they want to do when they want to do it!!!

Enjoy the unpredictability--you'll never be bored! :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just when you think you've got 'em figured out, they go and do something else.
it's so true, just yesterday my female decided she was going to come out of her hide and be one with her tank wall, lol. strange things... they'll leave you like :confused: and sometimes even :wall:, but i love mine.

anyway, OP! here's the infamous sticky everyone passes around to those with questions about their rosea just in case you haven't read it. if your question is not there, the search function is your best friend. you'll find lots of helpful advice, just like i did whenever something new my rosea did made me wonder "is this ok???":D

happy keeping, and always ALWAYS take pics when they do something hilarious and show them off!!!

Last edited: