Queries about drowning centipedes

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I am willing to try the drowning technique on my Scolopendra morsitans to see if I can pair it up with an acceptable mate, however, I have several questions about the drowning technique and how safe it is (for the centipede, don't worry about me!)

First of all, is normal tap water safe to use? Or does it have to be distilled, purified, or altered in any other way to make it safe for the centipede. Secondly, how much time underwater would suffice to immobilize the centipede for the right amount of time? It's just I don't want to drown it completely (obviously), not do I want any nasty surprises. Also, I presume that the amount of time varies with the size of the centipede. Thirdly, what precautions need to be taken, when popping the genitals, to avoid mutilating the centipede?

Finally, I am aware of the fact that if a centipede that is brooding on its eggs is disturbed, it will consume them. I would like to know about how long, after witnessing a mating, it takes for a pregnant centipede to lay.

Hope you can help, as I don't like the feeling of raising a lone centipede from birth to death without giving it the chance to pass on its genes.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've used this method for literally 100s of centipedes and the only thing I've learned that could be harmful to the centipede, could very well kill it, is if you put it in water for a long time when it's premolt. Signs of young premolt centipedes are: fat, off-color, a little less aware imo because the old exo is thick, almost detached so they don't sense their environment as well. I'm not sure why they can be damaged at this time but my guess is that they take on water while already being so turgid. It seems to me that the exo separates prematurely when taking on more water causing some bleeding and may kill it. Other than that I haven't seen any problems.

I personally use rain water, depends on the local water supply imo and it all may be OK, I just have access to rain water. You just have to use 'feel' when popping and some common sense if you can't see vids of it. It often takes a month or two after mating to lay eggs but they may lay eggs 2 or 3+ times within 2 years before a brood hatches out. I've seen them eat eggs at the slightest bump, but other times it takes a whole lot of shakin to get them to eat the eggs. Size and being under water doesn't seem to matter as much as one would think but younger ones do take a little less time. I check at 15 minutes, then around 30, 40, 50... by then they are usually pretty out of it so you can check.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Thank you very much Galapoheros. That is just what I wanted to know. Just another question, roughly how long is the lifespan of the average scolopendrid?