Put sling vial in bathroom during shower?

maroonZB

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

I just got my first T - an E. campestratus sling.

I keep my apartment between 65 and 70 and it's pretty dry here. I was wondering if putting the open vial into the bathroom when I take showers and then closing the top afterwards to shut the warm, humid air in is a good idea or not (obviously I have holes punched in the container, but it would still hold humidity and temp for a while).

On a happier note, (s)he's eating already!

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Sling + open vial = Where is my sling? Don't trust them any farther than you can throw their vials.

Just mist and if you have a humidifier that can also help.

Congrats on the sling welcome to the hobby.

maroonZB

Arachnopeon
Sling + open vial = Where is my sling? Don't trust them any farther than you can throw their vials.

Just mist and if you have a humidifier that can also help.

Congrats on the sling welcome to the hobby.
Thanks!

I would have been shocked if she got out of the vial seeing as the odds were against her moving at all while I was in the shower, but definitely something to keep in mind. I'm guessing a more active species would be all over that?

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
Are you being serious? If you leave the lid open during a shower ANY species would most likely get out.

Thanks!

I would have been shocked if she got out of the vial seeing as the odds were against her moving at all while I was in the shower, but definitely something to keep in mind. I'm guessing a more active species would be all over that?

sinflspeed

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I highly doubt it will just take off as it isn't a climbing species. I don't think it would make a bit of difference because it is a dry species so the humidity isn't a big neccessity. Just mist some water and keep away from the vents in your room.

cnapple

Arachnoknight
I highly doubt it will just take off as it isn't a climbing species. I don't think it would make a bit of difference because it is a dry species so the humidity isn't a big neccessity. Just mist some water and keep away from the vents in your room.
It's not arboreal, but all tarantulas climb. I would never leave the containers of any of my species, arboreal, terrestrial or fossorial open for the duration of a shower. Keeping the substrate partly moist is just fine for your sling.

maroonZB

Arachnopeon
It's not arboreal, but all tarantulas climb. I would never leave the containers of any of my species, arboreal, terrestrial or fossorial open for the duration of a shower. Keeping the substrate partly moist is just fine for your sling.
Fair enough. She hadn't moved more than 1/8" in like 6 hours, so I figured the odds of her climbing out of the vial were pretty low. I'm just going to keep the vial in the bathroom with the door closed to keep the humidity and temperature in the room up from now on.

She ate the entire cricket (and it was bigger than her). I'm kind of surprised, I figured I'd be pulling uneaten cricket out this morning. She looks so fat now :)

Amoeba

Arachnolord
That is with the container closed, tarantulas act differently when there is air circulating (i.e. fans, air conditioning vents, the breath of a predator, etc). IMO you would be fine just misting but it is your spider. Assuming that your house has heating and air conditioning you really don't need to worry about temps. Just keep it above 40F and below 100F and you'll be fine.

maroonZB

Arachnopeon
That is with the container closed, tarantulas act differently when there is air circulating (i.e. fans, air conditioning vents, the breath of a predator, etc). IMO you would be fine just misting but it is your spider. Assuming that your house has heating and air conditioning you really don't need to worry about temps. Just keep it above 40F and below 100F and you'll be fine.
Thanks for your help with this! Definitely appreciate it.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I highly doubt it will just take off as it isn't a climbing species.
Don't bet on it...

I acquired three 0.25" LP slings 18 months ago. I was not new to T keeping, but these were my first teeny tiny slings. Their vials were 1" diameter, 4" tall with ~0.75" substrate. At their second feeding, I was sitting in the floor straddle-legged, the three vials and the pinhead cricket container on the floor between my knees where I could see them all.
I opened all three vials in preparation for dropping crickets in.
All little LPs present and accounted for.
Drop cricket into #1 vial, LP grabs it, close vial. Peek into vials 2 and 3 to confirm babies still there.
Drop cricket into #2 vial... cricket is in there by itself... "What the...!" "Where's the spider?!" I had looked away for maybe 10 seconds, 20 at the most.
Confirm #3 LP is still in vial and secure.
Searched for LP #2, (including sifting through substrate multiple times), for weeks... unsuccessfully...
Morals of story: never look away from an open enclosure even for an instant. And, even tiny terrestrial pet rock slings can teleport when they so choose.

MIA's sac mates are now ~6 inch DLS. I don't think MIA is going to turn up at this late date.

maroonZB

Arachnopeon
Now she's gone down the burrow I made and I haven't seen her in like 2 days. I'm assuming this is normal.