Purple first T

zes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My best friend loves to watch me feed my Ts and she had been really sick lately. I am thinking of getting her a T as a get well gift. (she have pet reptiles so the food should not be any additional hassle for her to get, worst case I can get roach nymphs for her)
She don't really have much experience with them. Her favorite color is purple so I had been thinking of these possible Ts...

A. purpurea
P. sp. Machalla
P. sp. South Eucador
P. nigricolor

I am leaning towards the avic but I am not sure if this species is one of those that is notorious for random deaths.
I love pamphos but if she ends up with a female the color tend to be more dull and isn't really going to be purple ^^" (and I don't think buying her a MM as her first T would be a good idea..)

Which T do you think I should get? :eek:
I'm open to any other recommendations for a first T that is purple too =)

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you really like your friend and money isnt an issue i say xenethis species... but if i were you may i suggest a non purple but brightly colored green bottle blue ?

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think there is a Tapenauchenius sp. that is purple, if you're interested. :)

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
From my experience A. purpureas are a lot hardier than A. versis. Miine has been really easy to raise from around 3/4 in. to 1 1/2 maybe 2in. so far. They're definitely gorgeous T's.

mutley100

Arachnopeon
I think there is a Tapenauchenius sp. that is purple, if you're interested. :)
T.purpureus . I think they are now known as T.violaceus .

Hopefully there should be slings 2 being delivered in 8 hours or so . {D

zes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cool i never knew about Tapinauchenius cupreus. I'll keep that in mind! =)

I did consider if I should get her an X.intermedia too since I have one(if they end up being different gender we might even be able to mate them a couple of years down the road xD) Its pretty steep though so I need to think a little more about it =)

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the xenesthis species are definately pretty pricey...but hey a mating pair...you can recoup the price at that point if you get lucky with a viable sac

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From my experience A. purpureas are a lot hardier than A. versis.
Why, because you lost your versi, but still have your purpurea? Or are you drawing from experience raising multiple individuals of each?
Just curious.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Why, because you lost your versi, but still have your purpurea? Or are you drawing from experience raising multiple individuals of each?
Just curious.
I do only have 1 purpurea, but I've lost the only 2 versis I've ever had. I also have 3 other species of Avics. They are the only T's I've had the misfortune of them dying.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Rufs (poecilotheria rufilata) have purple too......maybe not exactly a 1st spider but with advice...anything is possible

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Before you buy someone a live animal as a pet, you should consult them and make sure they are prepared to care for it properly. i think it is a very sweet gesture/ thought, but as the recipient of a fish for a present, it does suck to get an animal you know nothing about caring for, or are ready/ set-up to take care of.

That said, i love our A. purpurea sling and am waiting with bated breath to see that purple show itself!:D

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. Versicolor do have purple legs when they get larger. Perhaps you could get a sub adult female.

You can sort of see it in this picture of mine though the flash drowns a lot of it out.

Last edited:

zes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks guys, I think I might stick to A.purpureas for the time being =)

curiousme: yeah I understand what you meant, I'll give it to her and let her know that if for any reason she didn't feel comfy with the little one I won't mind taking care of it. Good thinking though, I truly didn't think about it if she didn't quite like keeping a T since she loved mine xD