Pulchra with messed up leg.

MexicanRedKnee

Arachnopeon
So a few weeks ago one of my g. pulchras went through a bad molt. She ended up with a leg that seemed a little smaller than it should be but that one isn't the one that worries me. Another leg has the last half of it all shriveled up and yellow in color, like it died but didnt fall off. A third might have the very tip of it shriveled up but I would need to go and look closely. My g. pulchra is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and is eating well and behaving normally. I figured the bad leg would eventually become normal through molts but yesterday I read the tarantula keepers guide and it said that legs that have shriveled up ends can be dangerous during the next molt. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking about removing the leg and not taking any chances but I'd like other peoples' opinions first. What the best way to amputate a leg, btw?

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How strange! I actually had a dream last night that this sort of thing was happening to my spiders. I don't have any real life experience with this problem, but my best advice would be to just leave it be. The spider has the natural ability to amputate the leg if it feels the need to. In this case it sounds like amputating is only an aesthetic concern, it won't affect the outcome of the next molt.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So a few weeks ago one of my g. pulchras went through a bad molt. She ended up with a leg that seemed a little smaller than it should be but that one isn't the one that worries me. Another leg has the last half of it all shriveled up and yellow in color, like it died but didnt fall off. A third might have the very tip of it shriveled up but I would need to go and look closely. My g. pulchra is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and is eating well and behaving normally. I figured the bad leg would eventually become normal through molts but yesterday I read the tarantula keepers guide and it said that legs that have shriveled up ends can be dangerous during the next molt. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking about removing the leg and not taking any chances but I'd like other peoples' opinions first. What the best way to amputate a leg, btw?
Do you have pictures? It would help.
I can answer the last question. To get them to detach their leg, you have to pinch it near where it connects to the body. Just like cricket legs when you pinch it they will detach it to become free. They have to detach it though and you cannot pull it off. When they detach their leg, they will close off the wound so it stops bleeding. Than regenerate the leg in 2 molts fully.

MexicanRedKnee

Arachnopeon
I don't care about her leg looking all messed up, I only care that she doesn't bleed to death during her next molt. Which is why im considering amputation. I'll see if I can get a good pic, she's small and my camera isnt very good.

Buckwheat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I concur with the last post. Let nature take its course in this matter. If you try pinching the injury you may cause more harm than good. Additionally, If you don't mind, I'd like to be there to see how you react when it reels around on you and bites the daylights out of you..kidding of course.
Best of luck

*POOF*

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I concur with the last post. Let nature take its course in this matter. If you try pinching the injury you may cause more harm than good. Additionally, If you don't mind, I'd like to be there to see how you react when it reels around on you and bites the daylights out of you..kidding of course.
Best of luck

*POOF*
Tongs.....Not fingers