Pterinochilus murinus or Theraphosa Blondi?

hankypanky56

Arachnopeon
For my next tarntula I was thinking of the Pterinochilus murinus or T. Blondi? What would you suggest, I would like to hear all of your experiences with both of these tarantulas.
Thanks!

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What tarantulas have you owned before? Have you owned a fast, defensive and potent spider? Are you capable of doing the necessary research needed to provide the correct care for a Theraphosa? And by research, I don't mean just asking for everyone else's experiences and opinions.

It's impossible for anyone to give you any advice on what to get when you provide no details, and only ask the broadest of questions. These are two very different species, and both have aspects that make them poorly suited for beginners. My advice, do some research, and then if you have specific questions, feel free to ask them.

hankypanky56

Arachnopeon
I have done as much research as you can do trust me ;) the fastest tarantula I have owned is a GBB, and I am ready to take a step up. I was just wondering what your experiences with them were. I don't have any questions about them, I know how to
take care of them. What are your overall experiences with these tarantulas?

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
An OBT is way more than a step up from a GBB speed-wise. They are, however, extremely easy tarantulas to care for if you can handle the speed and aggression. Nothing can really prepare you for their speed, though, aside from other fast tarantulas. Theraphosa sp. are probably the only tarantulas I have NO interest in owning because they're very fragile husbandry-wise and need constant high humidity. Either way, I bet you'll be experiencing something very new to you.
I would go for the OBT, though you might not be completely ready for their speed. Why not get both as OBTs are very cheap? Good luck with whatever you decide on.

hankypanky56

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I think I will go with the OBT, I wasn't really interested in the T. Blondi until I have a few more years of experience. I'm not really a beginner, and not really experienced, I'm somewhere in between. So I think this tarantula is a good choice. I am
Pretty sure I can handle the speed and aggression... Or I will have to learn fast!

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OBTs are great tarantulas. Just prepare for a bit of a surprise and some quick learning :p

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Fast T's without too potent venom, but generally defensive:
Psalmopoeus spec. or Tapinauchineus spec. (however, both arboreal and the latter insanely fast and enduring as slings already)

I'd probably get some more xp with fast species before venturing into the OW part of those, just because IF you get bit, you'll likely be out of commission for some days...with a NW it would still be painful, but probably no longer than a day or so.

However, totally up to you and you alone ;)

Enjoy whatever new T you'll get!

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
get both

Get both the p.murinus in not expensive.Unless you are tight on room.They are hardy and easy to breed.Theraphosa blondi I've never had one ...would be awesome:alien:

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Don't forget the Ephebopus genus as well, it seems like everybody are reccomending psalmoes or tappies as a step up to OW T's lately and they (the Ephebopus) are being left on the wayside.

Hard to beat the skeletal patterning of a murinus or the electric blue of a cyanognathus' chelicerae, just more tarantulas for the OP to look into. ;P

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I had to choose it would be OBT over T.stirmi/blondi ANY DAY...OBT are tough as nails and thrive in total crap conditions,where T.stirmi needs high humidity without compromising airflow too much,and has been known to suffer from odd blisters/cysts and issues molting.That and IMHO it is just a big,brown spider with some of the worst urticating hairs you will ever experience.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want the size of a theraphosa but hardiness - i'd recommend the pamphobetus genus - they are GORGEOUS!!

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Hey hey lets not forget about lp almost as big as t.blondi but imo better looking andmore hardy and they have insane feeding responses

mmfh

Arachnobaron
I love my obts but they are not out and visible a lot of the time. If you do get one get a very long pair of tongs and dont mess with it a lot . T. blondis are expensive and seem to have issues if not kept properly. good luck with whatever u decide.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you seen one in person, you wouldnt think so lol.
But I still think the T. blondi is beautiful.

---------- Post added 07-06-2012 at 09:14 PM ----------

I say to go for the obt only if you think you are ready for it. They can teleport, very very fast. They will show extreme defense of their home, to the point of practically coming out of it to prove a point. There is nothing like a nerve wrecking obt sling making a dash for it, and you having to try and catch it. Nothing like a larger obt showing you that they will not tolerate you or your shadows presence. Good luck.

8legs2fangs

Arachnopeon
ok, heres the OBT vs. Goliath post:
OBT:
-fast
-potent(er)
-very hardy, like, cant just kill one
-CHEAP ($9)
-beautiful but medium to small size
-meaner than me

GBE:
-huge
-bad hair kicks
-big strong fangs (more mechanical damage than anything else)
-just brown
-very unforgiving as far as husbandry goes
-deffensive
-expensive($100 or more)
-did i mention HUGE?

i would personaly go with the OBT. love the colors and if your looking for something bigger, brown, and mean. what about like a king baboon?

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OBT. Just don't leave the lid off. Mines a pet hole but when she surfaces, watch out.