Pterinochilus murinus breeding tips.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As the name implies, I'm going to try breeding this species. male is mature and ready to go, female molted about 1.5 months ago. I'm just a bit unsure of
whether to simply put him in her enclosure and see what happens, (of course being ready to separate them if it goes sour) or to put them both in something else. any advice would be appreciated thanks.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Make sure to feed the female very heavily the night before attempting the pairing. Yes place the male in with her, in her enclosure. Not long ago, i paired P. murinus, and the male cohabitated with the female for two weeks, with no problems. Good luck.

matt82

Arachnoknight
The breeding reports on here really helped me to learn a good bit in preparation for pairing this species recently. They also make for a great point of reference when trying to gauge sac laying/development times.

It really is as straight forward as Catfishrod has explained there - feed the female up quite well beforehand, and when you are confident the male has built a sperm web and loaded up his palps, you can attempt a pairing, and almost bank on a successful pairing.

I paired my P. murinus female with an on-loan MM 2 and a half weeks ago, within 10-15 mins, they were doing their thing, and the female was very receptive.

I also co-housed them for a brief period to ensure she was successfully mated, apx. 1 week (although I saw both out and about at the same time after the initial pairing, I did not witness any more mating activity). I removed the MM unscathed after 1week.

2 weeks after mating, I saw the female out and about again - I am almost certain she is gravid.

Good luck with the project :) , the vast majority of P. murinus pairings I have read or heard about are a great success, both on the mating front, and an eventual fertile sac.

**I have also commonly read, and been informed by keepers, that multi-clutching is very common with this species!