Species Psalmopoeus pulcher

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Picked this little guy up from Andrew (cacoseraph) yesterday after our bi-monthly SCABIES (Southern California Arachnid Bug Invertibrate Entomological Society) Hike & Hunt.

This completes my Psalmo collection! WOOHOO!!!! :Dance:

Here are some pics I snapped today of the beautiful spider.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I too love Psalmopoeus.

First you think its complete when you have one of each kind.

Then you really think its complete when you've got a pair of each.

Then you've got to breed them all, then you've got 100's of babies, then you realize, there's more species of Psalmo's out there!{D

Great pics!

-Sean

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I also love Psalmo's and are working to get pairs of each species in the hobby and breed :D Do you know the sex of this specimen? P. pulcher has to be one of my favs of the Psalmo genus :D Cracking pics!

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
SWEEEEEEEET. your lucky you jumped on that one first... but i got the pulchra.. hehehe

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice! That's a gentle Blond for sure not a big bad blonde l0l, great pictures I love the details that it brought out and very nice Psalmo you got there.:clap:

† [sandi] †

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
very nice one.

you are lucky i can't do this with my big female. she is to agressive. really one of the most agressive T's i have.

and congratulations on add-on

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
SWEEEEEEEET. your lucky you jumped on that one first... but i got the pulchra.. hehehe
hahaha.....thank goodness for two things:

1) the fact that PayPal exists
2) there was a computer with an internet connection right next to me in Andrew's room.

This spider is awesome. I'm so glad I got her(?).

I handled her for about 15 minutes after those pics were taken, and the I put her back, without problems.

I too love Psalmopoeus.

First you think its complete when you have one of each kind.

Then you really think its complete when you've got a pair of each.

Then you've got to breed them all, then you've got 100's of babies, then you realize, there's more species of Psalmo's out there!{D

Great pics!

-Sean
Very true!!! My Psalmo collection isn't actually complete.....just the 3 basic species that are readily available!
I still need P. reduncus.....and possibly P. maya one day.

But......
These are considered to be in genus Psalmopoeus:
affinis
cambridgei
ecclesiasticus
emeraldus
intermedius
irminia
maya
plantaris
pulcher
reduncus
rufus

so, I have a long ways to go......some of those species have only been sighted once in the wild, and a picture was taken. So they might not even be species at all.

She's absolutely gorgeous. Another psalmo fan. :)
Thanks!!!

I also love Psalmo's and are working to get pairs of each species in the hobby and breed :D Do you know the sex of this specimen? P. pulcher has to be one of my favs of the Psalmo genus :D Cracking pics!
I actually don't know the sex yet. I just got it, and I'm waiting for a molt before I sex it. Thanks! She's a good model. :)

Very nice! That's a gentle Blond for sure not a big bad blonde l0l, great pictures I love the details that it brought out and very nice Psalmo you got there.👏
Thanks a lot! Yeah, she's been very gentle with me so far......but when I was getting her at Andrew's house, she snapped at us a few times......so she's bipolar.

† [sandi] †;906804 said:
very nice one.

you are lucky i can't do this with my big female. she is to agressive. really one of the most agressive T's i have.

and congratulations on add-on

A lot of people will disagree with me on this....but oh well. I plan to handle this one a few times a month.....maybe only 2 times a month or less......but I believe that a spider CAN get used to handling. (the vibrations from the human body)

Greg, from Krazy8s had a P. cambridgei that he handled like a baby, and he let me play with it......that thing was such a sweetie, and just crawled around nice and slow. So, my theory is, that you can get ANY tarantula to act this way.....to some extent.

I have about 30 T's in my collection, and almost never handle anything. But this one, I want to give it a try. People are free to disagree with me and bombard me with hate mail if they so please :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've handled psalmo's a few times too. Most notably, a juvie reduncus and juvie cambridgei. Both of those are absolute sweeties. But then their temperament will probably change for the worse as they get older :rolleyes:

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've handled psalmo's a few times too. Most notably, a juvie reduncus and juvie cambridgei. Both of those are absolute sweeties. But then their temperament will probably change for the worse as they get older :rolleyes:
LOL. yeah

my cambridgeis are a bit too small to handle at the moment (and not to mention, FAST)

but, I could easily injure them at this size.....so they'll have to wait for the privelige of being handled by me {D

my irminia is just barely large enough, so ill have to consider her after the next molt.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've handled my cambridgei, but that was more not by choice lol The bloomin thing ran up my arm! haha Was sweet though, it jumped off of my hand into my subby box and threat postured, but then was happy to walk on me again and was fine :) Thats the only time iv seen aggression from her. I've never seen her move as fast as they can.. only when she pounces on food hehe

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've handled my cambridgei, but that was more not by choice lol The bloomin thing ran up my arm! haha Was sweet though, it jumped off of my hand into my subby box and threat postured, but then was happy to walk on me again and was fine :) Thats the only time iv seen aggression from her. I've never seen her move as fast as they can.. only when she pounces on food hehe
i love my cambridgeis! But they're only at about 1.25"

so no handling for a few more molts, i think.

they are so beautiful......and currently taking the lead for my favorite psalmos (personallity-wise) {D

junewolf

Arachnopeon
Hello all! I’d love to see some photos of your P. pulcher. Mine is a skittering little sling right now, but absolutely gorgeous.
I love their adult form equally, but you gotta love these little leg warmers they rock as adolescents.

Attachments