Psalmopoeus irminia caresheet help

Remingtonsteel

Arachnopeon
Today I got a juvi p.irminia ,I have a gist on the care that they need due to me also having a p.pulcher but I'm still adamant on getting more info,I've look up a few care sheets but I'd like an opinion from people who have them,ie/tips/suggestions/any special care for this species,etc.he/she is soooooo cool, beutiful colours,any please share
Much appreciated,Rsteel

Gilberator

Arachnosquire
Provide plenty of room for it to climb/burrow as this species does both. I mist my irminias enclosure about every 1-2 days or so. Obviously for your juvie, I would put a bottle cap water dish in there for water. I really can't think of anything out of the norm for these guys. Enjoy your new addition!!!

Remingtonsteel

Arachnopeon
Also aren't they supposed to be pigs for their food?,he was feeding in the container that I got him in and through out the whole transfer he never dropped his meal!,normaly with some of my others T's they'll drop their food at the first touch

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
Just keep it like the pulcher but give it digging space, also plenty of ventilation

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As a rule caresheets are misleading and should be taken with a grain of salt. Good choice to come here for real advice. Husbandry is similar to other Psalmopoeus. As already suggested, make sure there is sufficient vertical space for both burrowing and climbing. Try to maintain elevated humidity, but ensure there is adequate ventilation. It's not an exact science; there is no need to buy a hygrometer. Just lightly wet the substrate once a week or so (I also like to use sphagnum moss) and provide a water dish.

Fossa

Arachnopeon
Mine has an L shape web and seems to make use of plenty of space. Plenty of ventilation, though I keep my substrate pretty dry with a large water bowl and a section of wet substrate where I have a potted wandering jew creeper and a handful of tropical woodlice (more to deal with dead leaves than any need of the T). She's hidden all day but out most evenings. Don't underestimate the speed as they move when they want to but so far transfers have been an easy process with a simple brush guiding. Beautiful Ts and a pleasure to own.....not much else to say but enjoy!

845BigRed

Arachnosquire
They are fast.
Granted mines still a sling, its faster then the P Regalis I have thats double its size. So just be aware of that. I've touched her foot before trying to get the remains of her food and she teleports to the other side of the container, I literally cannot follow it with my eye.

As far as food, yes mine kind of is a pig. Shes yet to refuse a meal since I got her.

Mine tends to be more active at later hours in the day, she generally appears around 5pm or so and stays out all night, I'll catch occasional glimpses here and there during the day but its rare.
The care sheet I had said 70-80 degrees with 60-70% humidity. More vertical space. Oh and a poop shooter.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As a juvie up to ~3" I kept one of my females in this kind of enclosure. She's make the corkbark-tube her home very easily and instantly. Fed her once every couple weeks 1 cricket, waterbottlecap as waterdish, misting of the inside of the lid (! not the enclosure itself !) once every week.
P1020400.JPG

Adult female "Phaedra" lives in nicely-size glass enclosure, keeping her dry for the most part, big waterdish for humidity purposes (it's always around 70-80% in her tank due to that waterdish), misting one side of the enclosure once every couple weeks, same feeding schedule for when she was a sling, lately only eats once every month.
P1030166.JPG

If you're in doubt, ask here before looking for caresheets. Also, it is not necessary to keep them totally damp in their enclosures, they don't like it too much that way. At some point I kept one of my females rather moist, the other dry - the drier kept one was more often out, more active overall, while the moist kept one sealed itself in for long times, not coming out at all and only sitting in the hide. Ever since then, I adjusted my care regimen and both are active, well-fed, showing up at least twice a week.

Sad thing: The second one refuses to calm down and keeps trying to bite whenever possible. Guess I can't have it all, hehe :D

Boatman

Arachnosquire
Here's how I kept mine as a juvie (~2.5")....In hindsight, probably could have used a little more substrate for burrowing, but she did OK.

Enclosure.jpg

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Here's how I kept mine as a juvie (~2.5")....In hindsight, probably could have used a little more substrate for burrowing, but she did OK.
I have 150 Poecs and Psalmos, and that cage looks great except for one thing. The problem I have with narrow mouth cages like that is that it's hard to reach things on the bottom (bolus' water bowl, etc) even with tongs. And in putting tongs in that deep, they're likely to get close to the spider along the way and could trigger it to panic and run, potentially even out of the cage. You have no room to move, you can't put the lid back on quickly because the tongs are in the way. And once they get out, they usually race and jump like lunatics.

BTW, at 1" all of my slings have water bowls. They need to drink more often, especially after molts. Too many rely on misting and end up with soggy cages. I like to use long fiber spagnum moss and mist that instead of the substrate. Once a substrate gets too wet, it's hard to dry out. Much easier to add moisture than remove it.

Boatman

Arachnosquire
The problem I have with narrow mouth cages like that is that it's hard to reach things on the bottom (bolus' water bowl, etc) even with tongs
Very true. It could get a little hairy. I moved her to a Exo Terra nano tall, which she's still in (I like the front opening). I just replaced the screen top with acrylic with holes drilled to help keep in the humidity.

1361670649544.jpg

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Very true. It could get a little hairy. I moved her to a Exo Terra nano tall, which she's still in (I like the front opening). I just replaced the screen top with acrylic with holes drilled to help keep in the humidity.
Much better shaped cage. You really have it decorated nice. Looks great.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pretty much a perfect home for that T. I'd just provide a big waterdish and she'll be fine. You'll most likely find "proof" she drinks in form of poop on next to the waterdish or on the walls right there. It's how I can tell my girl had a drink. I clean it up when refilling water, next time she drinks it's the same thing again ;)

Enjoy her! Awesome looking tarantula species!