Psalmopoeus, Anyone Else’s Favorite Genus?

MrFuzzBugz

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
I love all of the guys I’ve kept in this genus. They are:

fast growers
very fecund
no urticating hairs
have a great feeding response
fun to rehouse
come in great variety of colors, shapes and sizes
fuzzy
make great webs/curtains/tunnels

Of course, behaviors are slightly different among species in this genus but altogether, my experience is overwhelmingly positive. Anyone else feel this way?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not my fav, but up there. The Venezuelan Sun Tiger- the coolest common name to me, and gorgeous females

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
My favorite genus along with avicularia and poecilotheria......cams are my favorite with reduncus and pulcher as close seconds.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Tied for My favorite arboreals with pokies. My cambridgei of mine were more bolty like pokies but both mine were male. My female irminia I had around 9-12 years rip 🥲 . I wouldn’t hesitate to get one again, although I’d need new containers.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
My female P. irminia is one of my favorites. Stunning blacks with orange.

An awesome threat pose, my other T's threat pose suck compared to hers.
20230918_131909.jpg

Disclaimer:
I do not intentionally aggravate my T's to induce threat poses. In fact I never get any except for my T. vagans when refilling her water dish if she is close to it. The P. irminia was removed from her enclosure so I could remove the eggsac, hence the threat pose which is the first one I ever had from her.

Last edited:

Glorfindel

Arachnopeon
Definitely a Fantastic New World T Genus.
My P. Cambrigi and P. Victori are always out and about excepting pre molt.
My P. Irminia is a little more reclusive, but beautiful when she does appear.

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
Yep, I seem to like the genus.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Favourite arboreal genus hands down !
Pulcher was my first and I think every one in the genus are gorgeous for their own reasons, I don't think I could pick a favourite I love them all and currently keep 6 sp of the genus with plans on getting more.

I would also like to add I am not a big arboreal fan at all, I keep 95 tarantula and only 10 of those are arboreal but 7 of those 10 arboreal are psalmo 😉 They are just special 🥰

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
I love Psalmos. I have 3 currently. Out of the slings im raising, I'd have to say my P Victori has been my favorite to raise so far. Just an absolute maniac that webs like nobody's business. The 3x3x6 enclosure I have her in is a tangled web castle that looks like the 7th chamber of hell. The takedowns are absolutely unreal.

Attachments

Glorfindel

Arachnopeon
Yep, I seem to like the genus.

All are good looking, Gojira is Gorgeous. Her Majesty gives a Queenly wave. lol

Div129

Arachnopeon
I love my pulcher, very fast grower, and beautiful colours. Never regretted getting mine, she/he made her tunnel against the wall so I can always observe her. Most of the time she hangs out in the open. Shes a shy eater though.
October:
IMG_9244.jpeg
February (had to rehouse already):
IMG_0936.jpeg

Violins77

Arachnopeon
I have gotten my first P. Irminia about 6 weeks ago. She is about .75 inch, and she immediately built a burrow and web funnel at the bottom of her arboreal enclosure. I've seen her scavenge some mealworm parts in the beginning but not anymore (maybe she's in pre molt).

However, if she stays in that burrow all the time, how am I supposed to feed her live prey? I know better than to drop cricket in her (really tight) burrow, but if I leave the cricket there I'm not sure how long before she's able to grab it? The funnel goes higher than the ground and I doubt the cricket will just walk or jump there... I can post pictures if needed, but basically this spider is so reclusive for me that even seeing here is a challenge. I can't see her abdomen to confirm pre molt, but I do see her legs moving against the enclosure...

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
I have gotten my first P. Irminia about 6 weeks ago. She is about .75 inch, and she immediately built a burrow and web funnel at the bottom of her arboreal enclosure. I've seen her scavenge some mealworm parts in the beginning but not anymore (maybe she's in pre molt).

However, if she stays in that burrow all the time, how am I supposed to feed her live prey? I know better than to drop cricket in her (really tight) burrow, but if I leave the cricket there I'm not sure how long before she's able to grab it? The funnel goes higher than the ground and I doubt the cricket will just walk or jump there... I can post pictures if needed, but basically this spider is so reclusive for me that even seeing here is a challenge. I can't see her abdomen to confirm pre molt, but I do see her legs moving against the enclosure...
Don't expect to see them that often. They are a very reclusive tarantula. At that size especially, you may be more likely to see them after a molt. I would continue offering prey and just removing anything after 24hrs.

Violins77

Arachnopeon
Don't expect to see them that often. They are a very reclusive tarantula. At that size especially, you may be more likely to see them after a molt. I would continue offering prey and just removing anything after 24hrs.
Ok thank you! It's my first time with a tarantula that is basically always hidden.People say "great feeding response" but I guess she will need to put on some size first before I can witness that.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Ok thank you! It's my first time with a tarantula that is basically always hidden.People say "great feeding response" but I guess she will need to put on some size first before I can witness that.
While both of mine are both adults, I wait to see those glorious toes sticking out of the web tunnel or when I see them wandering. I’d only do prekilled at the mouth of the tunnel if you don’t see at least toes out. This is what I did when my male was a juvie.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
I don't mean to say you'll never see them. But, they do have a good feeding response and that often brings them out. Great hunters. Just make sure they have fresh water. Its easy to tell when they are in premolt once you get the hang of it

Violins77

Arachnopeon
Turns out she molted, I found her molt out of the burrow yesterday morning, but I have yet to see her and her new size. I also don't even know if the molt is recent or no, maybe she just took the old molt out... This spider is quite challenging for me as it really acts different than most of my other Ts.

MrFuzzBugz

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter

In my experience, if you kill the food item, they will scavenge feed it! I used to tear off cricket legs and throw them in the enclosure and my tiny slings would grab them after a few minutes.