Profits?

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What all have you profited from selling tarantulas or egg sacks, etc.? From breedings, findings, also. Thanks!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You mean money made? Knowledge? I am not sure I get your question. I am tired forgive me.

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how bout both.. I haven't tried my hand at breeding yet, but from where I have started 2 months ago, I am not 10x more knowledgeable to the hobby. Originally I went from thinking I could keep em on cedar chips and feed em crickets outside to now keeping them on special substrate and having a roach feeder colony. The experience is priceless to me.

What all have you profited from selling tarantulas or egg sacks, etc.? From breedings, findings, also. Thanks!

None.. haven't tried it yet.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think for the vast majority of people, the profits would undoubtably be in the negatives as far as money is concerned. One has to invest a lot more into the hobby than can be made by slings, egg sacs, etc. This is very much true untill one can breed and sell so many slings, etc. I know with snakes, from which I am more used to the breeding there, you have to be able to produce at least 200 offspring a year to come even/make profit. I would imagine that tarantulas would have to be in the thousands. Most of us just do it as a hobby and use breeding and selling as a means to spread our hobby, not to make a monetary profit.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Profit? What profit? You can make money with spiders?
Seems anytime I make a dollar on a spider, I spend 5 more on another...

xchondrox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lots of hobbiests that sell sacs end up trading or selling them for other species that they want. Atleast thats my master plan!

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's all hot and cold "moneywise" one would think with 1-3000+ spiderlings produced per sac would make a pretty good profit. This is not true. Reason being it costs to feed,maintain, and house that many animals. That's not counting your time (Every person has their price).

After you keep that in mind you will more than likely break even or turn a small profit to support your hobby. Most people end up spending the profit on more stock in hopes to make more money and have a bigger selection to attract more customers.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The weird part is I don’t use any money made for other things in my life, it just gets put right back into the hobby. Cages and supplies, more T's shipping supplies ect.
I might make a few extra bucks this year but that is only because I have had 10 sacs already.

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well for me being 17, is it some decent money on the side if I got lucky with quite a few sacks? ;)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well for me being 17, is it some decent money on the side if I got lucky with quite a few sacks? ;)
Well ya at that age you get a good sac and that is almost better then winning a scratch off ticket. (which you can't buy anyway.){D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Make sure to consider the time you'll be spending caring for (depending on the species) anywhere from 100 to a couple thousand slings. It's a significant chunk of time. If you're still in high school you may find that you suddenly have ZERO free time.

It probably would be a pretty sweet pile of coin for you at 17. A few grand isn't a lot when you have mortgage, car payments, etc but if you're expenses are considerably less...

Good luck with your endeavor if you choose to do it.

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
making money off this hobby is very hard as good old botar once told me "he would make better money working Mcdonalds but this way he gets to do what he loves".
It is hard because of many factors one is breeding if breeding is hard for you. your stock will be slim at first. unless mommy and daddy front you. Keeping and caring can be very tuff (Talkinlate) can tell you. supplies is always needed, spider pots are not cheap.
learning the thing you need to know about caring for them is not cheap. and the heart ach that can come with the hobby can sometime's not be worth it. you will find that if you are trying to make money at it you will fight with people over very stupid S4!t. (talkenlate) can tell you. but if you really want to make money at it you can, just be ready for a bumpy ride.

cheers

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I make $80-$250 each month by selling surplus roaches from my three colonies. Once your name is established on a certain marketplace, people tend to adress you in business, out of habit of seing your name over and over again. What I'm trying to say is that there's a higher demand out there than you might think when you're trying to make your first 10 sales.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dude if you are palnning on breeding a T make sure you can actually turn around and sell them... stupid me i am trying to breed rosies.. but it's for the exp i guess

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Whenever I get a sack or split a sack of slings, I always end up trading most of them for other spiders and stuff. Never make any money on it...

Arachno_Shack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Profit?

Never heard of it. More like funds for reinvestment. For a lot of people, it is more about the promotion of US, CB spiderlings, and not so much about the money.

Just my $.02....

Tim

bigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well i have just started to breed T not for profit but to use as trade in order to expand my collection i still have a 40hrs+ job and i do not see me quitting any time soon.