problem with legs one extra growing

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this girl just molted the other day and this is my first time seeing here out. Her one leg is missing about half way down and the last leg is still there but a new leg is forming ontop of the old one. any ideas what to do??

Attachments

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This might seem extreme but it might be a good idea to remove the entire leg. At a part at the base where it connects. I'm sure someone here could asist you further. Very interesting though! :?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry i cant help, what a shame, such a nice spider. i hope someone can help you.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just let it be...it will remove the leg by itself if it has to. I would, however, increase the humidity a bit.

Later,

Jake

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
JakeRocks said:
Just let it be...it will remove the leg by itself if it has to. I would, however, increase the humidity a bit.
I'm going to second what Jake said.

-Bryan

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I will echo Jake and Bryan...
if you don't know how to remove a leg, she'll probably do it herself, given time.
I'd let her be at this point, and only interfere if she was in premolt and hadn't gotten rid of the leg herself...

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes the leg cannot do any harm now but when it comes to molting, that is when you will have to worry and hopefully by then she will have removed it..... Its the only reason I reccomended that you take the leg off.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
I say if you pull sooner, that'll give your T more time to regenerate. However, if the twist is not clean, there's always a small chance of bleeding. Get some nuskin etc. just in case if I were you. Good luck!

SCtarantulas

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
TheEternal said:
I'm going to second what Jake said.

-Bryan
I'm with them guys, if you mess around with it there will be a higher chance of problems. Good Luck With It :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I've only seen this once before... with my H. lividum. It almost looks like a bone instead of a leg, right? My 5.5" lividum had the same thing, and it persisted through THREE molts! DON'T PULL IT OFF! She'll heal, in time, but I doubt if it will improve with just one molt. It almost appears that the leg "died" but wasn't dropped by the T. Mine only had it on the last segment and it still took over a year to be replaced. Be patient with her, as long as she's not leaking hemolymph, she'll be just fine. IMHO, the ONLY time to pull a leg is if you can't control bleeding.

Rico

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I would say to just let nature take its course. Especially if you have never had to do any type of surgery before. Its more then likely that you would do more harm then good

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
MizM said:
I've only seen this once before... with my H. lividum. It almost looks like a bone instead of a leg, right? My 5.5" lividum had the same thing, and it persisted through THREE molts! DON'T PULL IT OFF! She'll heal, in time, but I doubt if it will improve with just one molt. It almost appears that the leg "died" but wasn't dropped by the T. Mine only had it on the last segment and it still took over a year to be replaced. Be patient with her, as long as she's not leaking hemolymph, she'll be just fine. IMHO, the ONLY time to pull a leg is if you can't control bleeding.
yea it looks like a bone inside. this white hard stuff kinda like scaring. befor the molt he did have a slight problem with the leg that I did see. I just bought him so I didn't know what happened to him. It looked like the past molt made it a little bent funny slightly off to the side i didnt think it would be a problem.

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
eksong said:
May I ask what kind of t that is?
hi not sure. I got him for $10.00 at a local pet shop. The owner didnt know he said someone droped him off. any suggestions? {D

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow it is a very nice, I'd say whatever it is you got one heck of a deal. :p

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
crash769 said:
hi not sure. I got him for $10.00 at a local pet shop. The owner didnt know he said someone droped him off. any suggestions? {D
It looks like a G. alticeps. Just from a glance though.

I had a pinktoe that removed a bad leg about 3 days after her molt. It was pretty twisted :( She molted in a piece of cactus bark. I can't remember what the name was for that, anyway, she removed it. I figured she would.

I would leave it be. Unless it leaks. I had to remove the right rear tarsus on my 8" WC birdeater about 3 weeks ago. Do you know how nerve racking that was? But it is much better, and is not leaking anymore. I did have to put nail hardener on it.

Good luck :D

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks {D im goin to let it be for now. She just molted so I have some time. I will take it off if it gets close to the next molt and it is still there. Its not leaking so she is not in any real danger yet. She is walking around, eating, and cleaning herself so she dosent seem to mind it so much.