problem with embedded urticating hair

insane247

Arachnosquire
so i was handling the rosie other day and she must have dropped a hair because i certainly didnt see her kick one. but at the base of my finger it really itches and burns and i noticed yesterday i could see a black hair half embedded in my skin so i tried to pull it out with fine tweezers but it just broke off instead. i've used benadril spray and that always works for me when she has kicked a hair. but i've used it 3 times on my hand now and no relief. it is driving me crazy and been itching/burning for 3 days now. what can i do to solve this?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You wait for your body to reject it.I took a shot to the eyes last year that really threw me for a loop.Swollen,red eye for a month plus...You just have to wait it out,unless you want to dig it out with a sterilized needle......

insane247

Arachnosquire
i should have done that before i took the tweezers and got rid of the bit that it was sticking out of because now i dont know where it is. there is an inch by 4mm area that itches right now so i have no clue where it is anymore. thanks

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Also a good practice to try to avoid it from happening again is wash with cold water after handling.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
You should wash your hands with soap everytime you touch the inside of terrarium, your T, live food, earth etc not only after handling a T.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have heard people say that if you put high quality duct tape on the area and then pull it off, you can remove some urticating hairs. I have never tried it so I don't know if it works. Just a thought.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
What about a biore strip? It's used to pull up blackheads on your nose so maybe if you used on the area it would bring the hair out. You can find them at most grocery stores by the face washes, it's a mint green box.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You wait for your body to reject it.I took a shot to the eyes last year that really threw me for a loop.Swollen,red eye for a month plus...You just have to wait it out,unless you want to dig it out with a sterilized needle......
I agree with this as well. Best to just wait it out, maybe use some sort of soothing cream in the meantime. As many of us have experienced, these hairs are designed to embed (i.e. are barbed), especially where the skin is thin (around the neck, in-between fingers, etc.). Check out this old post for a good read on urticating hairs.

Regards,
Ryan

Oreo

Arachnocookie
That sucks. I guess the lesson is to only handle OW Ts? :)

macbaffo

Arachnolord
Lol close enough :p

Seriously,the lesson is that Ts aren't mammals or cuddling pets, to wash your hand after using the toilet and don't leave hairs all around.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Men should also wash hands after they manipulate NW Ts BEFORE they use the toilet.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, women usually don't hold their.... while doing their business

Peter Parker

Arachnosquire
When you are doing any tank clean or maintenance buy yourself some strong Industrial gloves that go up your fore arm from a home depot or such place, hairs can be lined in webbing and tops of tanks they are not always kicked at you. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. A dustmask if you want maximum protection. If you do get nailed in the face take a shower immediately. Throw your clothes in the wash. Buy a hepa filter if you have allergies and a lot of species with urticating hairs. This will help with any floaters in the air.

Peter Parker

Arachnosquire
If it is really bad and on the face and you go to a ER tell the doctor what you want, don't let them tell you what you need. They don't have tarantulas and probably wont know what you are talking about. Most ER doctors would just look up a standard procedure on there smart phone. Tell them I want a prescription hydrocortisone cream and I am not leaving the hospital until I get it as it is the only steroid you can put on your face. Most doctors will gladly just hand it over but some are arrogant and you have to stand your ground, trust me they don't want you suing them.