Prey Item Size

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Hi. I am aware the general rule of thumb for feeding Ts is to have the prey item be about the size of their carapace, but I was wondering if this differs between different species. For example, my B. emilia sling is afraid of all prey items unless I look for something that is like one fourth the size of her carapace, whereas my 2" P. regalis will take down prey the same size as iteself.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I would assume that dif T's (not just dif species) will act differently and have their different preferences

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All species and individuals have different prey size preferences. I tend to give them larger rather than smaller prey items

Phormictopus sp Green

Sericopelma sp Santa Catalina

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Hi. I am aware the general rule of thumb for feeding Ts is to have the prey item be about the size of their carapace, but I was wondering if this differs between different species. For example, my B. emilia sling is afraid of all prey items unless I look for something that is like one fourth the size of her carapace, whereas my 2" P. regalis will take down prey the same size as iteself.
I think it differs between species as well as individuals. But there are certainly species that, in general, are pretty much fearless when it comes to eating. My C. cyaneopubescens will go after pretty much anything that isn't 3 times their size. I feed my GBB sling crickets that are about the same size as it (or sometimes even a little bigger) and it always takes them down with no problems...fierce little hunters, those guys.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I think it differs between species as well as individuals. But there are certainly species that, in general, are pretty much fearless when it comes to eating. My C. cyaneopubescens will go after pretty much anything that isn't 3 times their size. I feed my GBB sling crickets that are about the same size as it (or sometimes even a little bigger) and it always takes them down with no problems...fierce little hunters, those guys.
Yeah I agree. My little GBB sling eats lats that are the same size as itself or sometimes a little larger. Also my LP etas absolutely ANYTHING.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I think it depends on the tarantula. I had L.parahybana that jumped a dubia much bigger then it was and a decent size B.vagans that wouldn't jump one unless it was much smaller. I think it depends on how hungry they are as well. A tarantula that is fuller may not risk going after a bigger prey item. If I can't get them to eat one size I just try a different size later till I find what they like.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For example, my B. emilia sling
You have the runt of that sac no doubt haha. My emilia has always been an eating hound and an attach champ. On the otherhand, my G pulchripes sounds like your emilia almost.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Varies widely. Some species will tackle proportionately large prey, others won't. No doubt this has to do with a combination of factors: how warm we keep them, if they're post-molt and starving, how fast they're capable of growing, the size and availability of prey in the wild, etc. No need for them to take risks I they don't have to.