Preserving dead scorps..

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was thinking about contacting someone who pours acrylic to see if he could make me a little block with a scorp inside to display it. I haven't found anyone yet..but what are some other ways to preserve a dead scorp? Alcohol...etc..

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use Isopropylalcohol, works just fine

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I use freezing in the short term if I don't have alcohol on hand. Otherwise I use alcohol.

Cheers,
Dave

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use Alcohol 60° or 70°, depending to the arthropod.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
There is also a type of acrylic resin that I believe someone on this board discovered at Home Depot...I think it was about a year ago.

John
];')

MACZ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would like to find some info on this resin.

JonDaAzn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the problem with resins is that you can get bubbles and stuff, i have a couple beetle in resin keychains, ill try to post up pics asap

NihonRobot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd like some info on this too...I'd like to immortalize my scorp when he decides to pass.

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, and it'd be cool to have a nice display. I may find out out where I can just send it and have it done professionally. Still looking though. I have seen them in almost every suvinier shop in the southwest, so someone does it..

Last edited:

MACZ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
JonDaAzn said:
the problem with resins is that you can get bubbles and stuff, i have a couple beetle in resin keychains, ill try to post up pics asap
I have a Scorp resin key chain and it has not got any bubbles, I imagine it could be a problem.

mr crab

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What about epoxy? Where abouts would one find acrylic resin? Huw much is it?

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a LINK of an online shop that sells resin.

Not sure if they ship to the states but asking them is for free ;)

arachnojules

Arachnopeon
there is an article on the ATS website about resin casting of dead tarantulas. I think it would be the same for scorpions.

demolitionlover

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is definetly a cool idea. As of now... I use water testing vials and alcohol(i have only had baby scorps die so far)...it works great.. but I find that it evaporates over time.

The resin thing sounds great. Im gonna look into it.

JonDaAzn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
some info i found on this site:

Rhys A. Brigida seems to have some experience on tarantula dry mounting. See this article for e-mail.
"Ray" described the "blowing" method used to preserve caterpillar specimens. See here.
Phil/Tracy on displaying moults
Collecting and Preserving Insects and Mites: Techniques and Tools, edited by M. E. Schauff
Chinese site on spider preservation. They highly recommend gutting larger spiders for dry mounting. Also recommended post-mounting dehumidifier treatment, then using Naphthalene(C10H8, active ingredient in mothballs?) + tiny bit of ethanol to prevent insect/worm decay.

http://www.atshq.org/articles/rhysresin.pdf

http://www.insectnet.com/cgi/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

ill get those beetle pics up soon lol