Preparing to start up a YouTube channel

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I just don't get why centipedes are so unpopular compared to scorpions and tarantulas. Centipedes are bigger, come in just as much of a variety of colours, are less of pet holes than most tarantulas, and can also get acclimated to handling. Does anyone know why the centipede hobby is so small compared to the tarantula/scorpion hobby? My only guess is their generally bad reputation, and the fact that less is known about their breeding habits.
On the other hand, I'm thinking about getting active on YouTube once my E. rubripes gets nice and acclimated to my handling. I was going to start doing videos on my S. morsitans (proper videos, not just phone clips like those in my previous posts), before his untimely death. While my E. rubripes is by far the most aggressive pede I have ever kept by far (even the wild individuals of the same species on the Cape York trip were less aggressive), she is becoming noticeably calmer, and I daresay I will have her nice and ready to film after a few more days of socialization work. In addition, at a mere 13cm in length, she is quite young, and I imagine I will have a few good years with her, like I did with my morsitans. I plan on making handling vids like the ones Mastigoproctus used to post on his channel ThePureLife, but with more in-depth narration and information, and more extensive interactions (hand feeding, head rubs, sharing food etc.) with the intention of making the centipede(s) seem as cute and likeable as possible. Hopefully this will ease their bad reputations, and make them more popular in the hobby.
Let me know of your thoughts.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't agree with handling pedes. I also feel showing them being handled and even offering advice on doing it will get a lot of owners bit should they try it for themselves. Of course you're entitled to your opinion and make videos.

I absolutely love pedes. My dream invert was/is a Scolopendra viridicornis that I'm now lucky to own. Pedes seem to be disliked even by some tarantula owners. I can't understand why. They're absolutely stunning. They move some gracefully and are phenomenal predators.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
The reason I haven't gotten into them is I'm still new in the world of tarantulas (a bit more than 3 years) and am still getting the hang of them. I just don't know much about them really, and what I have heard is a good deal of horror stories. I want to make sure I enjoy all of the animals I have, and not get something that I'm terrified of.

Chris52

Arachnoknight
I think centipedes are amazing creatures and I would love to get one, but at least for now, my parents aren't on board with anything venomous.:meh:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
@basin79 I understand that handling centipedes is a very touchy subject, which is why I will add plenty of disclaimers, though for those who do decide to go with it, I will also offer advice on how to do so with minimal risk.

Crowbawt

Arachnopeon
I don't handle any pedes myself but I would definitely be interested in following a youtube channel focused on them, because as you said there's so little out there compared to tarantulas and other more "popular" inverts.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Just looked at my channel. My jumping spiders get the most views followed by my centipedes and then T's.

There's definitely viewers who prefer pedes over T's. That typed my channel is tiny but I bet you'll soon get a load of subs once your vids hit.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
Since I got my very first centipede, it will be featured in my videos. Currently planing a big enclosure for her so she will have it's own spotlight.
I support you, and all others that want's to try it out in the youtube space, but I'm strongly against handling a highly venomous animals. You need to be aware that a lot of kids will watch your videos, kids that don't really understand disclaimers and all the see is that it is ok and even safe, as you are pointing out, to handle a centipede. It is your decision in the end, I agree that they need more attention and presentation on the platform, but not with the approach you are pointing out.

cehmz

Arachnopeon
Since I got my very first centipede, it will be featured in my videos. Currently planing a big enclosure for her so she will have it's own spotlight.
I support you, and all others that want's to try it out in the youtube space, but I'm strongly against handling a highly venomous animals. You need to be aware that a lot of kids will watch your videos, kids that don't really understand disclaimers and all the see is that it is ok and even safe, as you are pointing out, to handle a centipede. It is your decision in the end, I agree that they need more attention and presentation on the platform, but not with the approach you are pointing out.

ba ba bye!!

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
I don't know if I'd handle pedes in your videos because someone with no experience may try to do the same and end up getting bit. With that said good luck as we need more centipede fans in the world.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Thanks guys. In regards to centipede handling, I'm not sure exactly how many of you guys are aware of the full extent to which centipedes can get acclimated to being handled. Besides, ThePureLife posted many centipede handling videos, and no one seemed to be motivated to make rash decisions. I promise to make my disclaimers very clear, while still emphasising how misunderstood these creatures are.