Premolt, DKS, something else?? Please help :(

awiec

Arachnoprince
Should I still move her back home? And thanks for the feeder advice...I can pick up mealworms tomorrow.
What did you do? Put it into an ICU? With most issues you're best to leave the spider where it was originally at, all the moving isn't good for it.

jkelly

Arachnopeon
What did you do? Put it into an ICU? With most issues you're best to leave the spider where it was originally at, all the moving isn't good for it.
She's still in the semi-ICU I moved her to yesterday morning. She seems less stressed there, and in the smaller area it seems more likely she will find food/water. I left an oozing dubia half in there last night and it looks like she ate some of the goo, but I'm not sure as it could have just dried up.

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 06:29 AM ----------

She's back home. Will be sure not to disturb her anymore.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Like already suggested, try different feeders, and make sure she has access to clean water at all times, and keep us updated on the situation and good luck, hope your T will be fine

shelpen

Arachnosquire
This doesn't look good, I'm sorry... My CRH died 4 mnths after starting displaying the same kind of movements.
In my case it was (I'm sure) a residue of the flea treatment (I have cats) that got on her. Think where could your Avic get any -cide on her? Not likely at Jamie's. During the shipping? In your care? Do you breed your own Dubias? Etc...

jkelly

Arachnopeon
This doesn't look good, I'm sorry... My CRH died 4 mnths after starting displaying the same kind of movements.
In my case it was (I'm sure) a residue of the flea treatment (I have cats) that got on her. Think where could your Avic get any -cide on her? Not likely at Jamie's. During the shipping? In your care? Do you breed your own Dubias? Etc...
:( Sorry to hear that.

Yes I'm trying to figure out what could have happened...as I said all my Ts eat from the same dubia colony and everyone else is doing very well. My dogs have Not been on Frontline for 3 months now and I try to always wash my hands before handling feeders or anything in/around the enclosures. The male avic who lives right next to her and is exposed to the exact same everything is doing very well. I know she was perfectly healthy when I got her. I would never feed wild caught prey either. The only thing I ever spray in my room is Febreeze, and not near my Ts. The only thing I can come up with is something placed in her enclosure or my hands had chemical residue on it and/or she is more sensitive to the residue than the male avic. I knew Avics were more sensitive in general but I have definitely learned to be extremely careful with them. And maybe the fact that she wasn't a good eater made her weaker and more susceptible. I don't know. :(

Since the video above came from someone who obviously handled his T "insensitively" and whose sister intentially provoked/terrorized the poor thing, I'm wondering if this "condition" isn't a response to extreme stress of varying kinds--a gene that expresses itself more often in susceptible/highly sensitive individuals? Kind of like schizophrenia? I'm sure I sound like I'm talking crazy but if at least one person can save their T by being more cautious about ANY kind of stress (which is devastating to most creatures over time or with great intensity) then my poor Ts suffering won't be in vain.

To me, the biggest lie about T husbandry is that it's easy. NO WAY. It's not that you have to DO a lot, it's the list of things you must NOT DO that makes it difficult. And caring according to species is not enough--each is a unique individual.

Last edited:

shelpen

Arachnosquire
The only thing I can come up with is something placed in her enclosure or my hands had chemical residue on it and/or she is more sensitive to the residue than the male avic. I knew Avics were more sensitive in general but I have definitely learned to be extremely careful with them. And maybe the fact that she wasn't a good eater made her weaker and more susceptible. I don't know. :(

Since the video above came from someone who obviously handled his T "insensitively" and whose sister intentially provoked/terrorized the poor thing, I'm wondering if this "condition" isn't a response to extreme stress of varying kinds--a gene that expresses itself more often in susceptible/highly sensitive individuals? Kind of like schizophrenia? I'm sure I sound like I'm talking crazy but if at least one person can save their T by being more cautious about ANY kind of stress (which is devastating to most creatures over time or with great intensity) then my poor Ts suffering won't be in vain.

To me, the biggest lie about T husbandry is that it's easy. NO WAY. It's not that you have to DO a lot, it's the list of things you must NOT DO that makes it difficult. And caring according to species is not enough--each is a unique individual.
It's possible that she is more sensitive than the male... Even to the slightest -cide residue... I haven't treated my cats for at least 6 mnths. And I still put a freshly laundered t-shirt when I go in the T room to feed them. And scrub my hands "the surgeon way". :o_O:

The only way I've heard the T can be "saved" from this affliction is molting.

jkelly

Arachnopeon
No change. I've tried offering different foods and she never shows interest, so just making sure she has fresh water and peace and quiet. Not sure she's drinking anymore either so I put a wet paper towel near her on the wood she's been sitting on. Will let you know if anything changes.

awiec

Arachnoprince
It's possible that she is more sensitive than the male... Even to the slightest -cide residue... I haven't treated my cats for at least 6 mnths. And I still put a freshly laundered t-shirt when I go in the T room to feed them. And scrub my hands "the surgeon way". :o_O:

The only way I've heard the T can be "saved" from this affliction is molting.
I work in a lab and greenhouse where I come into contact with all sorts of chemicals. I usually give myself a good washing and time my feedings around days where I'm not going to be dealing with a lot of chemicals. If the greenhouse is sprayed then I just stay away from that collection for several days. I haven't had any poison related deaths as of yet but I'm fortunate to have good eaters, the only ones who did ever die on me had very poor appetites.

jkelly

Arachnopeon
Thank you both, every bit of information is comforting since I want to do everything possible to prevent this from happening again. Will update if anything changes.

jkelly

Arachnopeon
Beautiful girl didn't make it :( :( :(

Relieved she's not suffering anymore though.