Pre molt ?

peetree

Arachnopeon
i haven’t seen my asf much . Lately he’s been hiding in his burrow . He will come and lay at the entrance of his burrow briefly then retreat. He is fat so I was thinking he was in pre molt . So I’ve been misting his cage keeping it warm and humid . He came to the entrance of the burrow and attacked the mist lol. It had been a week since I fed him so I thought I’d throw a small cricket in .the cricket entered his burrow and after a while the cricket came out . So I threw the cricket back in his hole and the cricket made his way back out once again . So I removed the cricket . I should probably stop feeding right ? Sounds like pre molt right ? The picture is of him the day I got him about a month ago. He used to be quite active digging and such but not so much now . Thanks guys for all the help ! I appreciate it . ( I know he’s super fat btw I’m working on that haha )

Attachments

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
It looks adult to me there will be no more molting. They largely lead sedentary lives especially when they're well fed like this fella.

peetree

Arachnopeon
Hmm okay . I have no idea how old he is I had people say he looks like a juvenile im just being cautious

How can you tell the age he’s not that big his pedipalps are quite small in comparison to other scorpion pictures I have seen

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I could be wrong what is its estimated length? If it is not adult it is subadult. If that is the fact it could be premolt. In any case you don't need to feed him for a month or two... see if he molts in the meanwhile. A scorpion fattened up like your's is impossible to starve over a few months. 😁👍

Be sure to keep the substrate moist and it will have no difficulty molting.

peetree

Arachnopeon
Yeah I bought him that fat haha .. his body is maybe 2.5 3 in long not including tail.hard to estimate lol

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Yeah I bought him that fat haha .. his body is maybe 2.5 3 in long not including tail.hard to estimate lol
Yeah, that could be an adult or penultimate subadult which ever it is you do not need to feed it for 2-3 months it probably won't accept food anyways. Keep the substrate moist and it should not have any difficulties molting if it is a subadult. These scorpions can go months without eating no sweat. If it were truly famished it would have a very flattened appearance and the tergite shields would not be bulging apart.

adam james

Arachnosquire
That actually sounds pretty large? 3" long without tail must be close to 5-6" long with tail. That sounds like a full grown silenus ? Any pics of his chela (claw) up close? Wonder if the tooth is developed on the movable finger?

peetree

Arachnopeon
Here are some more photos . He may be an adult he just seems like a chunky youngster. But I’m trying to find out more about him . He just doesn’t look anywhere near the size of the scorpions I see in photos .. thanks I really appreciate your input :)

Attachments

adam james

Arachnosquire
I think this is the one that @Joey Spijkers identified in a previous post as juvenile male.

There is no developed tooth on the chela, and it appears to be male as well so that would mean its not adult yet and will molt again at some point.