Pre-molt Feeding

How often do you offer food to a T in pre-moult?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every other day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lumina

Arachnosquire
Question; should I keep offering food every other day to my Ts I suspect are in pre-moult? Or just leave them be until they moult? (This is regarding my slings mostly- B. albopilosum, P. irminias, and A. purpureas)

I've been doing the former, but how do you guys handle the pre-moult feedings?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
If you're not sure how soon a moult may occur -- try injuring (crushing head) of offered feeders for easier retrieval if they are rejected. It can be a pain to catch a fast healthy feeder if T rejects it.
{And obviously offer nothing if sling has already started rejected feeders completely]

Lumina

Arachnosquire
I don't like leaving live feeders in my enclosures, as they tend to hide and my Ts may not find them and I forget about them. So I usually wrangle a feeder close to my Ts and give them a few minutes to see if they're interested. And if not, I remove the feeder and offer it again in a couple days.

cold blood

Staff member
After they stop eating, do you stop offering them food until they moult?
yes.

Feeding them then is like filling up your car when its already got a full tank....wheres the t gonna put that food?

Pre molt ts need time, not more food.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, but some will eat and moult within half a day or so. IME most slings have fairly short premoult periods.
My experience has been different. I have metallica that will eat 2-3 days before molt, but my muticus will be in premolt and refuse food for weeks. If the abdomen is large and/or they have sealed themselves away while refusing food, I won't offer any until their is noticeable shrinkage in abdomen size or they are out waiting for food.

Thanks,
--Matt

Lumina

Arachnosquire
yes.

Feeding them then is like filling up your car when its already got a full tank....wheres the t gonna put that food?

Pre molt ts need time, not more food.
Right, my point is that I'm not 100% sure they're in pre-moult or just not hungry. I'm pretty certain it's pre-moult though, as they're due for it.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Right, my point is that I'm not 100% sure they're in pre-moult or just not hungry. I'm pretty certain it's pre-moult though, as they're due for it.
A picture of rump would help -- seriously, a picture of whole current enclosure might gain you more insight.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
After they stop eating, do you stop offering them food until they moult?
I know this wasn't directed at me but if I suspect they're in pre-moult then I'll leave a pre-killed/maimed feeder in with the tarantula for 24hrs, if it is uneaten after that then I remove it and mark them as "in pre-moult" and I won't attempt feed them again until after they moult.

korlash091

Arachnosquire
Question; should I keep offering food every other day to my Ts I suspect are in pre-moult? Or just leave them be until they moult? (This is regarding my slings mostly- B. albopilosum, P. irminias, and A. purpureas)

I've been doing the former, but how do you guys handle the pre-moult feedings?
you can try offering food, if they refuse i usually wait a week before trying again, no need to try every other day.

havent see you in a long time here, glad you still around.

Lumina

Arachnosquire
you can try offering food, if they refuse i usually wait a week before trying again, no need to try every other day.

havent see you in a long time here, glad you still around.
Yea, I've been mostly on the Facebook Arachnoboards group lately. But I wanted to ask this on here, being a more serious inquiry.