Praying Mantis and Emps living together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how long did the mantis stay in your house and how many you have roaming. that would be so cool. the mantis has to be local right.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
jarrell said:
how long did the mantis stay in your house and how many you have roaming. that would be so cool. the mantis has to be local right.
local left is ok too :D

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, it looks like this "predator" guy is just another sick person who likes to torture animals with the excuse he is making an experiment. Oh, he has no place to put it but in the cage with scorpions. That would be a really nice idea to put him in a cage with aligators to see how much he will be smart and how long he will survive. Some people should be forbidden to keep animals, even invertebrated because even they are more decent creatures that this person...
Hope the mantis gets away and bites ur nose off...
Fscorpio

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Although I respect opinions all around... and this is not something I would get overly uptight about, personally, I'd set the Mantis free dude. That is the honourable thing to do. Sure, it is just an insect, but I guess for some people, it is the principle of the matter. AGAIN, not my view necessarily... as I won't dare pass judegment on something I percieve as so trivial at this point in time for my own personal reasons of perspective, not to mention the world's. Your decision at the end of the day though, be well.

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fscorpion said:
Well, it looks like this "predator" guy is just another sick person who likes to torture animals with the excuse he is making an experiment. Oh, he has no place to put it but in the cage with scorpions. That would be a really nice idea to put him in a cage with aligators to see how much he will be smart and how long he will survive. Some people should be forbidden to keep animals, even invertebrated because even they are more decent creatures that this person...
Fscorpio
Yea im really sick for putting them together. The worst thing that could happen is the scorp eating the mantis. Same thing as if the scorpion ate a cricket. Who made you god and decided what foods are acceptable for them to eat.

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, eventually you WILL lose the mantis. You have to ask yourself: would you lock your girlfriend up in a cage with 4 horny guys? Think about it.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats a great attitude to have. I say we stick you in a tank with two 15 foot Nile Crocodiles and see how long you survive.

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
saw this and just had to answer

I've had my emperor scorpion for a couple months now. He is in a 10 gal tank with sliding screen top and a UV blacklight/40watt light combo that is almost never on.

I live in Charleston, SC and we have alot of tree frogs all over our house at night. So the first thing he really ate at home was a tree frog. So far he has eaten quite a few of those, a couple small toads, a large cricket i found along with a few large grasshoppers and some spiders I've managed to catch.

About 2 weeks ago I was looking for something for him to eat and found a small green mantis on the back wall of the house. I put it in with my scorpion along with a small tree frog (same size of the mantis) and a small toad. Ok so I had a small zoo in there.

All was good in the tank for a few days but then the mantis (who stayed on top of the tank 99% of the time ate the tree frog. The toad burrowed into the substrate and then later the mantis was eaten by the scorpion....though his legs are still in there.

I let the small toad go later before he died of lack of food.

I bought some superworms and waxworms at the local Petsmart and my scorpion really seems to like both of those.

Attachments

Andy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
DavidBeard said:
Well, its a good thing the mantis is smart....obviously smarter than the person keeping it. If you don't have the space or capabilities to house an animal properly, then don't keep it. If the mantis get chowed on, its your own <edit> fault. Congrats on your gross negligence.

Do you wait til your crickets die of natural causes til you feed them to your scorps?

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Andy said:
Do you wait til your crickets die of natural causes til you feed them to your scorps?
No. Crickets are a commonly used prey source for insectivorous animals. Mantids are not. In some parts of the country Mantids are becoming very rare and I just feel that there are plenty more appropriate food sources. Just because you can do something does not mean you should.

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DavidBeard said:
No. Crickets are a commonly used prey source for insectivorous animals. Mantids are not. In some parts of the country Mantids are becoming very rare and I just feel that there are plenty more appropriate food sources. Just because you can do something does not mean you should.

Just because they are commonly used doesnt make any difference between them and a mantis. I see mantids getting eaten every summer in my backyard by wolf spiders. They are fairly common here.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mantids getting eaten by native spiders is completely different than getting eaten by an African scorpion. The only reason you are keeping these inverts together is in the hope you will see the final confrontation and be able to say "Ooh, cool"....which is a pathetic reason to keep an animal in sub-par conditions.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Predator said:
Yea im really sick for putting them together. The worst thing that could happen is the scorp eating the mantis. Same thing as if the scorpion ate a cricket. Who made you god and decided what foods are acceptable for them to eat.
i'd just like to point out that roaches and mantids are all in the same Order, Dictyoptera

there is virtually no reasonable argument why this dude is a demon for feeding mantids to an emp and the rest of us feeding Discoids and lobsters to pets are on the side of the angels...

Billdolfski

Arachnopeon
cacoseraph said:
i'd just like to point out that roaches and mantids are all in the same Order, Dictyoptera

there is virtually no reasonable argument why this dude is a demon for feeding mantids to an emp and the rest of us feeding Discoids and lobsters to pets are on the side of the angels...
I second that.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
?

i thought the mantis was a protected species in the usa? shouldnt have it in captivity anyway. but other than that yea, 2 scorps in a cage with it is nothing but a recipe for disaster. i read all this about them staying near the ceiling...the only time i have ever seen them in the wild was in hawaii and they were usually on or near the ground. one started flying at me when i was walking into my house at night. but other than that they just sat there while i watched them

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree there is no "moral" argument for feeding roaches versus mantises, but there are big differences between the two in terms of ther roles in the food chain and ramifications for the environment and for us humans. Mantises are protected because they are "beneficial" insects that eat "pests." Egg cases can be purchased at garden shops and farm suppliers as an alternative to pesticides. Roaches are disease-carrying "pest" insects. My feeling is that, while "beneficial" and "pest" are labels people have put on them, roaches and mantises have very different roles in the world. Plus, mantises mate only once, if they're lucky, and aren't nearly as prolific as roaches. In this sense, killing a mantis is a more significant act than killing a roach. Just my opinion.

More to the point, this kid positioned this first as a mantis rescue, then as an "experiment", then finally copped to the fact that what's really going on is he's feeding the mantis to the scorpion for his amusement (like we didn't all know that right off) and he doesn't care what anyone thinks. Then why start the thread?

It's been my observation that kids are always posting in this forum and trying to get people all worked up. Like Elvis Costello said: "Well I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fscorpion said:
Fscorpio
Ok, this is just stupid! I got half the <edit> way through this thread and just cant stand it anymore. It is just a <edit> mantid! Why is it ant differant than a cricket or a roach. Its not! If the scorp eats it oh <edit> well. Get over it already! I love mantids but I'll tell you what. If they were in my yard I would feed the <edit> to my scorp any time I could. Thats just less money I have to spend on crickets. I can see where you would have a good argument if it were a vertabrate. Get bent! ;P :evil:

Last edited by a moderator:

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
xgrafcorex said:
i thought the mantis was a protected species in the usa? shouldnt have it in captivity anyway. but other than that yea, 2 scorps in a cage with it is nothing but a recipe for disaster. i read all this about them staying near the ceiling...the only time i have ever seen them in the wild was in hawaii and they were usually on or near the ground. one started flying at me when i was walking into my house at night. but other than that they just sat there while i watched them
The mantid is not a protected in the US. I that were true you would not be able to keep them or even handle them for that matter.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yuanti said:
I've had my emperor scorpion for a couple months now. He is in a 10 gal tank with sliding screen top and a UV blacklight/40watt light combo that is almost never on.

I live in Charleston, SC and we have alot of tree frogs all over our house at night. So the first thing he really ate at home was a tree frog. So far he has eaten quite a few of those, a couple small toads, a large cricket i found along with a few large grasshoppers and some spiders I've managed to catch.

About 2 weeks ago I was looking for something for him to eat and found a small green mantis on the back wall of the house. I put it in with my scorpion along with a small tree frog (same size of the mantis) and a small toad. Ok so I had a small zoo in there.

All was good in the tank for a few days but then the mantis (who stayed on top of the tank 99% of the time ate the tree frog. The toad burrowed into the substrate and then later the mantis was eaten by the scorpion....though his legs are still in there.

I let the small toad go later before he died of lack of food.

I bought some superworms and waxworms at the local Petsmart and my scorpion really seems to like both of those.
WOW, you really need to WET that tank up. Humidity should be ateast 80%, preferrably more. Get the 'coconut fibre expanding brick' from your local pet store. Put it in water for 20 - 30 mins and it expands. It retains water really well, is comfortable for the scorp, and allows burrowing.

:embarrassed:

Status
Not open for further replies.