Potting mix question

SpiderJoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HI,

I now have a peat mix for my tarantula's bit it's very darkish and I would like something on top, I would like to use reptibark but I heard it wasn't good for my spiders. So I'm planning to use some coco-peat. Anyone more info on this?

Greetz
Joey

MatthewBerfield

Arachnopeon
I use potting soil with peat moss already mixed in, its dark, prolly just like yours, i don't have anything on top other than a safe shelter, and a tree limb for them to climb on....

SpiderJoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
;) I just wanted to make the enclosure more colorfull but hey, if it's good why mes with it:)

Tnx,
Greetz Joey

SpiderJoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
of course...
why didn't I think of that in the first place tnx!

Greetz
Joe

MatthewBerfield

Arachnopeon
if you want to make it more colorful then maybe you can put some fake fish tank things in there like seedweed, or like little plants....unless the plastic will hurt the T's which i doubt it will.... :cool:

madox

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I use coco peat.
It is good, moisture keeps long and it less grows mouldy

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When you say coco-peat, do you mean the expandable brick bedding made, at least partially, from coconut husks?

If so, I'd recommend it. Once the top layer dries out, you're left with a very natural looking and texture variable substrate. It has good drainage, which is nice if you're actually using live moss, and my spiders dig easily in it. To maintain humidity, I just make sure the sub-surface layers stay moist (I pour in water about once every 2-3 weeks for my slings). Did I also mention that it has a nice earthy smell as well?

The one thing to watch out for is mold. I have had one occurrence of mold infestation (not patches, but a huge lawn of mold), I think my whole apartment may have been swimming in a spore bloom at the time, though.

Hope this helps,
Eric

SpiderJoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

Do you have made the substrate completely out of the coco-peat stuff?
I thought you always have to use peat, I once used only repti bark but some people came down on me like a ton of bricks telling me that it does not work for tarantula's. Anyway, I first used repti brak as ''topping'' on the peat mix, but the coco-stuff sounds more apealing.

Greetz
Joey