Potato Bug?

sil350

Arachnopeon
who has fed their T a potato bug? we started some light construction on our property and i've come across many of these nasty little things. i think my b. smithi will like it. the land hasn't been exposed to pesticides for many years so no worries about that. will my T be able to eat this thing? is a potato bug dangerous? thanks

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't feed it not because it is a potato bug, but because it's wild caught. You have no idea if the person up the road from you had used pesticides, or what chemicals it may have been exposed to during the construction, or if your town or county has done aerial spraying in recent months. There's pesticides everywhere and there is no use taking the chance.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
who has fed their T a potato bug? we started some light construction on our property and i've come across many of these nasty little things. i think my b. smithi will like it. the land hasn't been exposed to pesticides for many years so no worries about that. will my T be able to eat this thing? is a potato bug dangerous? thanks

They eat babies :)

We're talking the giant cricket things, aren't we?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
reasons not to feed potato bugs:

in a lot/most areas they are endemic to in the united states they are some kind of protected

if they are wild caught, what mind said

i picked a 1.5" fella up and he kicked me so hard his legspines made me bleed... that would rip through a tarantula like tissue paper!

also, when i was observing one of these in captivity (*ahem* in my backyard) i found they would just as eagerly eat bugs as dogfood as some veges... so considering the monetary worth of a B. smithi vs. a potato bug... i would hate to use the smithi to feed the potato!

Last edited:

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I grew up calling sowbugs, Potato bugs. Im not sure what hes talking about. Wether its the sowbug.. or the actual potato bug...
Either way, probably not good to feed them to your spider. Unless its one of those savage red ones that lurk under rocks in my garden.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's funny you posted this. I just sold my 5" male L. parahybana to someone last weekend and when I called her today she said she had been feeding him potato bugs and he loves them! I would really like to see a T take down one of those things. They're mean! And pretty creepy too....
I think I read that in Mexico or somewhere they call them "children of the earth" because they look like they have little baby heads!

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
And here I thought a "Potato Bug" were the black and yellow beetles that decimate potatoes, squash, and everything else in your garden...:rolleyes:

sil350

Arachnopeon
has anyone here actually done this? any first hand accounts? thanks