Possibley getting B.dubias

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been looking for some feeder roaches for a while know and can across a website that had them for cheap. http://www.roachcrossing.com/ this is the website. I was wondering what kind of things i can give them for water supply, how many of them could fit in 10 gallons and how easy are they to breed?

Meecht

Arachnosquire
I use water crystals for my colony as a constant water source, but the gut load I give them contains many fruits and veggies which also provides moisture for them.

My colony of probably 300-400 is currently kept in a 10 gallon aquarium, but I'm considering transferring them to a larger container soon. They are pretty social and don't seem to mind huddling together on the egg crates that are under the heat lamp I have for them.

When I first set up my colony, I had 100 adults placed into a 10 gallon aquarium with a side-mounted heat pad and a heat lamp. Some egg crates to make them feel secure, and I followed this video to make the gut load http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlM9RaCBt_M . After about a month I saw one of the females making an ootheca (egg case), and the population has exploded since.

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have some 2 in 1 water gell and gut loading stuff that is in cubes would that work instead of water gell?

Pssh

Arachnoknight
Sometimes you can find dubias for cheaper, but you have to search through all sorts of classifieds. I had around 700 mixed nymphs in a 10 gallon without any problems. There was a TON of frass, but other than that they were fine. Those cubes will work, but they are super expensive. water crystals are a lot cheaper.

PM me if you want to know more about the water crystals/want to get some.

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I made my own roach chow and the ingrediants are
Letteuce
Radish
Oatmeal
strawberries
2in 1 food and water cubes
oranges
apples
potatoes (skin and all)
rabbit pellets
1cup of water
a little sugar
and dog food
Here is a pic of it before it was froze

after it was frozein cube form

they took about 2 hours to almost freeze completely

Here is a pic of the enclousure

the stuff that is smeared on the inside of the tank is vasiline
I am getting about 70 roaches.
So how do you think I'm doing

Meecht

Arachnosquire
Hate to tell ya this, but the vaseline is not needed because dubias can't climb glass.

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh okay... so how do you think my roach food is going to do?? ( as in will it be a good gut loader and will they eat it)

Meecht

Arachnosquire
I'm sure they will eat it up as they'll eat just about anything you put in their cage.

What type of lettuce did you use? Just about any kind will do except iceberg because it has very little nutritional value and is mostly water, so it's kind of a waste to put in the mix. Better to keep it for sandwiches :)

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Using an aquarium you do need to watch for roaches climbing the silicone in the corners. You could remove the upper few inches to prevent this, and smear the corners with vasaline. Just don't try to fill it with water later. I'm extra paranoid about roach escapes due to the wife. I use both packing tape and vasaline in my sterlite tubs. Better safe than sorry.