Possible Premolt Disruption

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Note: I am completely aware that everything I am about to describe is really stupid and entirely my fault so please don't flame me because I'm already so upset about it I've been crying on and off.

My B. albo ~2" has been seeming like he might be in premolt for a week or two but I'm not positive but it's possible (balding abdomen, getting darker, etc.). He's been hanging out in his hide 99% of the time, although yesterday he came out, did a lap around his terrarium, and went right back in.

Just now when I checked on him in his hide (peeking in, not disruptively), he looked like he was half buried by substrate. I got kind of freaked out because I haven't ever seen any spiders half buried before. It was in an upward direction, probably about 45°, with his front buried upwards. I poked him a little bit and he didn't move and I started to really freak out. I took up his hide (this had no effect on where he was) and brushed him lightly with a small paintbrush; still no movement. I thought he was dead and had a breakdown before needing to be absolutely sure and bothering him a little more. He finally started to move (bless), slowly spreading his legs, and then sprinted up one side of the terrarium and down onto my bed and neatly onto my hand.

I put him back in his enclosure and the enclosure back in its spot, and then he climbed the wall again and has been hanging out in the upper corner. He does this sometimes, it has no bearing on his substrate, stress level, or anything else.

Only after all this did it occur to me that maybe he was laying a mat on the floor of his hide. He was in a position where his spinnerets were pointing at the floor, and there was some webbing around, though I'm not positive about if it was on the ground or not. Now I'm really worried that he was about to molt (even though he was half-buried, I wish I had taken a picture, I'm such an idiot) and I disrupted him and he's going to molt in the upper corner of his terrarium and fall and die.

If I did interrupt his mat-laying, will he have the time to make another before the molt happens? I'm not sure how in control of when they molt spiders are, and if I interrupted his only time window and he dies because of me, I'd hate myself forever. I know this whole thing is really dumb and absolutely my fault, but any insight/comfort/prepare yourself for deaths you guys could offer would be so so so appreciated. I'm really not okay.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Obviously a lot of people may remind you to leave them be because they know more about their needs than we do.

I will say this, my OBT's first molt (with me) was delayed. He had literally just turned upside down when the workmen arrived to put a new roof on my home. (Don't get me started but that roof was supposed to have been done 2 weeks prior!)
Anyway, I was very upset, but he turned back upright and appeared to walk okay, so I knew he hadn't actually started molting yet.. It was noisy for 3 days here and he had been 2 weeks without eating at this point, little sling, yannoe -- NEEDED TO MOLT!

POINT: They are sometimes hardier than we think. If he needs a new mat, I think yours will build one.
I am hopeful.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
I'm pretty sure I did the over-involved keeper thing to a old-ish C fasiatum that was saving up its strength to molt for about a year.....didn't eat, didn't web, didn't drink, didn't move. Maybe my repeated attempts at feeding disturbed her cycle....but I definitely went too far when I noticed that she had a 'leak scab' on one of her legs. Boom. ICU. Movement. Poking. Superglue. Misery. Poor gal never had a chance with a friend like me. She was a gift to boot. Long story short, she started springing more leaks the more I raised the humidity and tried in vain to 'help.' Best thing you can do is hope for the best and leave it alone. Molts are best left to the spider to accomplish....Just the existence of Rob c's youtube vid for Zilla sends the wrong message to folks out there looking for answers...however amazing it was. Water dish is the only thing you should mess with, and even that could be argued against in the right (or wrong) situation. Tarantulas dehydrate, but rarely starve to death. They're built to withstand some harsh conditions and we all have to take time to remind ourselves of this. If the opisthosoma is fat, T is refusing meals regularly, leave it be. Sounds like you already know when to be on the lookout for a molt.

Leave it be. Really...and you've only failed if you fail to learn. :)

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Okay thanks guys. It's so hard for me to let it be aaaa >.< Time to go sit on my hands and pretend nothing is happening. I'll keep you updated <3

Sana

Arachnoprince
I did about everything that one could do to stress a T premolt in my inexperience with my first couple. They all made it through just fine. Take a deep breath and trust your T. You're probably more of a wreck than it is. I know I am when I'm waiting for a molt.

cold blood

Staff member
Disrupting a molt will only delay it, not stop it...no worry.

A molting mat is not a requirement for molting, just the usual. I've had several molt without making one.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's a major fallacy of many tarantula keepers to get super paranoid about the livelihood of the animals in our care. ALL of us have done it. Everything they do seems to make us paranoid. I've been keeping spiders for over 10 years now and still find myself obsessing over perfection. The key is to be paranoid to a certain limit but never cross the line over to causing the spiders harm.

Just remember they know what they are doing! They have been fine on their own for hundreds of millions of years. Unlike those creepy human children. *shivers*

Hang in there!

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Haha you're all great, thank you all so much. He's back in his hide as of this morning; I didn't want to disrupt him again so I could just see one knee sticking up, but it's all good. I'm sure I would have seen if he'd molted, and anyway, maybe I'm just being hopeful and he isn't about to molt at all (though I'm still hoping :p).

Really, you're the best, thank you all :love: :love: :love:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My B. albo ~2" has been seeming like he might be in premolt for a week or two but I'm not positive but it's possible (balding abdomen)
Just wanted to point out for future readers that aren't aware; a balding abdomen is not indicative of being in premolt, only that the spider has kicked off urticating hairs.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just wanted to point out for future readers that aren't aware; a balding abdomen is not indicative of being in premolt, only that the spider has kicked off urticating hairs.
This. If the bald spot is darkening noticeably, then that's usually a good indicator. But yeah, a bald spot in general just means it's a kicker.

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
This. If the bald spot is darkening noticeably, then that's usually a good indicator. But yeah, a bald spot in general just means it's a kicker.
Oh yeah no, it's been darkening. Sloooooowly darkening. I've handled him a few times and he's never kicked at me, so yeah.