Possible for the abdomen to explode from heat?

Meecht

Arachnosquire
I ordered a G. pulchra online from a reputable dealer, but I won't say which because I don't want to come off flamey.

It arrived in the center of some toilet paper lining the inside of its small vial. However, it looks like the abdomen was squished between the folds of the toilet paper.

Now, I did not choose the "Live Arrival Guarantee" option of shipping, so I would understand if it was just lying in a death curl at the bottom of the vial. However, this is physical damage to the specimen that could not have happened during the shipping process due to the way it was packed.

Before I contact the seller, I want to know if it's possible this DID happen during shipping. Could it have gotten so hot the container that the poor sling's abdomen just exploded? I've enclosed a picture of what it looked like when I opened the toilet paper inside the vial.

Attachments

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
My first ever tarantula shipment back in 2004 had a similar problem with a GBB sling. I think mechanical damage to fragile slings is possible if not probable. I had the live arrival guarantee though.

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its very possible the heat could bust an abdomen!!:( I've had it happen to a couple of my t's back in the day and it sucks...... All i can say is im sorry and id try to contact the dealer and maybe they will replace it i do not know...

Meecht

Arachnosquire
As for the rest of the packaging, it was shipped inside a thick styrofoam container packed with newspaper so the vial wouldn't move around.

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
Im sure the dealer will replace it. ;) sorry for your misfortune

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Unless the package was in a microwave, then no, it shouldn't have gotten so hot that it burst. That's shipping damage; it just happens sometimes no matter how careful they're packed. Contact the seller, they might send you a replacement anyway despite no lag.

Meecht

Arachnosquire
After contacting the seller, they're offering to give me half-off the price of my next T. Unfortunately, the next one I would want to get is a GBB and they don't have any of those in stock.

I took my sadness out to the local pet shop and bought a G. rosea. I know I'm encouraging the conditions of pet shops, but I feel I've saved life and that's good enough for me (yes, I'm in denial, lol).

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It arrived in the center of some toilet paper lining the inside of its small vial. However, it looks like the abdomen was squished between the folds of the toilet paper.

Now, I did not choose the "Live Arrival Guarantee" option of shipping, so I would understand if it was just lying in a death curl at the bottom of the vial. However, this is physical damage to the specimen that could not have happened during the shipping process due to the way it was packed.

Before I contact the seller, I want to know if it's possible this DID happen during shipping. Could it have gotten so hot the container that the poor sling's abdomen just exploded? I've enclosed a picture of what it looked like when I opened the toilet paper inside the vial.
There are possibilities...
That it could have happened in transit... yes!
if the t wasn't packed properly...

It looks like it was packed too loose...
i can see, that she was bounced around in there during that time...

Also maybe he got injured during the time it was being packed...
slings that size are still fragile and their abdomen can easily rupture....
he/she could have squished the sling, not knowing when they were trying to close the lid of the vial or putting in the toilet paper...

with that being said...

the seller should have gone with the straw method...
Where you put the sling inside a straw...
cut it to an appropriate length, punch one or two pin wholes,
then plug the ends with tissue or paper which ever works and then put the straw in the vial... secure the straw with toilet paper inside the vial.
this way there would be less chances of them bouncing around and getting injured...

Btw...Like what Hobo said your T didn't explode because of the heat!!!!

Peace,

Last edited:

imatroll

Arachnopeon
I think the dealer is partially to blame. I agree that the straw-packing method should have been used. The biggest thing is, sometimes these things happen, but the dealer should give a refund or send a new one, regardless. Only half off of the next T? That's ridiculous. And now Meecht ended up with a G. rosea. Personally I have not seen this or had it happen to me, though, so I wouldn't know.

As far as what actually happened, probably shipping or packing damage. If it really was hot enough for something like this to happen, the dealer should have put in an ice pack or SOMETHING.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
The damage is do to improper shipping and nothing else.

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Three words LIVE ARIVAL GUARANTEE should always be the choice when ordering. Think about how long you want your Ts to be out there. You're lucky you're even getting credit on your next purchase. I cant stress this enough, LAG! It should be the only option for any animal that's shipped.