Posion Crickets?

LordofScorpions

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Poison Crickets?

I bought like a whole pack of crickets from the pet store it was a 30 count (Stupid I Know), but now some have died in the little container, while some are still alive, I was wondering is it still okay to feed the live ones to my emperor, otherwise I going to throw the whole container away?

Will they eat meal worms, because I can buy like 20 for a dollar?

Last edited:

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They will eat mealworms but cricket are better I think because mealworms burrow. People have their techniques for feeding mealworms so it ultimatly is your choice. Just clean out the dead crickets. It's kind of hard to keep crickets alive like that anyways. I bought a ten gallon tank and 1000 crickets and suprisingly I have fewer deaths than 30 in a kritter keeper.

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There's dead crickets because either:

a) You didn't provide them food (yes, they may be about to be fed to your scorpion, but they're still living creatures, and will die without food).

b) Didn't provide them water (see A, above).

c) The dead ones are not actually dead, but cricket molts (yes, crickets molt. It's how they get bigger).

d) Any combination of the above. Crickets are omnivores and cannibalistic, so if there wasn't food, or enough of it, they'll eat each other.

As well, adult crickets only live on average 10 days, and they mature to adulthood pretty quickly, so it's possible that they just lived out their lives without you even knowing it.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks couldn't put it any better myself. I usually get a napkin and dip it water for their H2O and i use bearded dragon food for their solids. You can use anything tough like carrots, dog food, umm use you imagination buddy.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why would you throw away the live ones? They are fine to feed, and yes you do need to care for them, because they are the food your scorpion is eating, and ultimately they are eating what your crickets are eating. If you starve your crickets, there will not be much nutritional value there. There are lots of foods to feed them, I just use gutload and water crystals, do a google search for cricket care. Get a tupperware to put them in, a few egg cartons or cardboard tubes (tp rolls). The better care you take care of your crickets, the better off your scorpions will be, because half their food is what is in the crickets stomach.

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feed my scorpions hoppers or locusts. I normally buy hoppers and I place them into a "kritter keeper" type "tank" and they ALL survive and some morph into locusts. I always provide them with food. Before I used to buy them and leave them in their container with food and most would die...but ive not had any deaths...well one last week. One hopper was really SMALL! and that was just...dead the day after it was bought. No injuries, I just think it was too soon for that little guy to have been sold and out of its comfy growing enviroment.

So ive learnt that place them in something bigger and the risk of death goes down. I think if you have many in a small container and they are all pooping and doing their "thing" and I think in small containers if can become quite toxic.

IMO

xxxxx

Kenobi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just moved my crickets into a larger container today.
I put in a soaked sponge for them to drink from and a couple of grapes and a carrot to eat. I also threw in some mealworms that my scorp refused and that have since died, incase they want something other than fruit n veg :rolleyes:
Hopefully they'll last a while.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed my scorpions hoppers or locusts. I normally buy hoppers and I place them into a "kritter keeper" type "tank" and they ALL survive and some morph into locusts. I always provide them with food. Before I used to buy them and leave them in their container with food and most would die...but ive not had any deaths...well one last week. One hopper was really SMALL! and that was just...dead the day after it was bought. No injuries, I just think it was too soon for that little guy to have been sold and out of its comfy growing enviroment.

So ive learnt that place them in something bigger and the risk of death goes down. I think if you have many in a small container and they are all pooping and doing their "thing" and I think in small containers if can become quite toxic.

IMO

xxxxx
i to use a lot of hoppers:clap::worship: and keeping them the way you say is spot on my ones last a long time and its not as bad as them crickets :eek: i DO NOT LIKE THEM {D so I.M.O. they are the best :drool: :} ~~~~ PHIL

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hehehe I only bought the hoppers since crickets are just small and annoying!
So one day I thought "ok, they can have hoppers" and...as I mentioned some died *waste of money I thought* and then I thought "hmmm" and in a big tank and they happy as larry *whoever this larry is* and when one turned into a locust I freaked out.
"nooo they wont want to eat that! they will run away"

If Scorpions could jump up and down...mine would have as they were very happy...when they get hoppers I swear I can hear them mumble "is that all!" :} :rolleyes:

So I like it when some morph! Because I know my little darlings will be nicely fed!

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Miss connie...u mean molt and not morph :D
I'd be worried if it really did morph into something else ;)

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
{D {D {D
I meant molt...not morph hahahaha...but now ive said that im sure I will just end up calling it that from now on!
*face palm* aww but you knew what I meant :p

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hahaha...
I know...

Anyway my Parabuthus transvaalicus juz morphed into an adult {D

Well to me... i think roaches are the best feeders. They are hardy and u can churn up a colony real soon...which in turn means that u dont need to go to the shop and pay for food...:D
sorry but i do have a mini legion to feed...and free food means alot to me lol