Pop culture making bad rep for Theraphoids.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nah... I watch the NEWS when I want to be scared!
I watch movies to be ENTERTAINED!:D

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I watched movies like Arachnophobia and that old Tarantula one when I was young and it didn't phase me. I just love animals. In fact, for my first Ts, I went straight for the challenging Old World ones with nasty attitudes and stronger venom (C. crawshayi, H. lividum, P. regalis). My 2nd scorp was an L. quinquestriatus and I already had a S. subspinipes by then as well. It's only recently that I became more interested in docile and more handleable species.

I've kept various snakes before, but I've been looking into getting a venomous one, mostly interested in Atheris species because of their smaller size and beauty.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In some way the movies are hilarious because of all the abnormalities in them yes, but they in no way deserve a place in my valuable collection. It just isn't right having Eight Legged Freaks next to Donnie Darko or Pulp Fiction for example.
And I don't think it's right having Donnie Darko next to Pulp Fiction.

SchecterManC1FR

Arachnopeon
Hahaha, I loved arachnophobia. I saw it before I got my T. I think it made me fear smaller spiders over the big hairy "SUPER DEADLY" cuddle buddies.{D

...I'm going to go buy Arachnophobia now.:D

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what about the really cool movies like ''piranah'' and part two...where they actually flew!!:D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
does anyone remember in 8 legged freaks when the spider guy fed one of his pets(appeared to be a black widow) with some kind of spider food? That was funny as heck.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what about the really cool movies like ''piranah'' and part two...where they actually flew!!:D
or the sci-fi schannle movie about the snake head fish!.. didnt they have like 4 of thsoe movies lol

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:?
I couldn't disagree more, albeit this is a matter of taste.
If I want an entertaining movie, it better be omg freaking awesome like Grindhouse, Blazing Saddles, or Police Academy. Something that pretends to be any good but is funny only due to its failure to be so is in essence a waste of time to watch.
As to the public perception, isn't public retarded anyway? Expecting them to get the facts right regardless of what the media portrays is too much to ask as it is. In the USA anyway.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First of all, I really love the movie The Birds.
I think most of those "monster horrors" are usually lacking in plot, and the characters are all too predictable. I also don't see how you would think I'm including Godzilla as an example, as I don't know of a domesticated lizard that walks on two legs and has no lateral arm movements. Don't get me wrong, I've seen em all but I wouldn't consider Godzilla to be tricking anyone.

I was a kid when I saw arachnophobia, and it scared the s*** out of me. Took me a while to get over spiders. Now I look at that movie and realize it's pretty lacking in surprise elements and originality. Of course people will be scared by spiders, if they don't have the proper knowledge of them. So let's make a movie so the general population will develop Arachnophobia from!

Maybe my topic title came on too strong, when I read the back of Dr. No I laughed about it. They could have done some research and realized they aren't poisonous.

Snakes on a plane was really ridiculous and stupid.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:?
I couldn't disagree more, albeit this is a matter of taste.
If I want an entertaining movie, it better be omg freaking awesome like Grindhouse, Blazing Saddles, or Police Academy. Something that pretends to be any good but is funny only due to its failure to be so is in essence a waste of time to watch.
As to the public perception, isn't public retarded anyway? Expecting them to get the facts right regardless of what the media portrays is too much to ask as it is. In the USA anyway.
Dude!
How can you appreciate the obvious absurdity of Blazing Saddles...and not the absurdity of Arachnophobia? :?
I'm betting you're a white boy, huh? lololol
Relax...enjoy the show. You can trade dry facts and scientific truths..when you get your phd........
I've got mine...it sits right next to Three Stooges and Killer Clowns from Space.....
Seriously.:D

~ Mrs. R.E. Earl AJP PHD.......

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that I explained that: the absurdity of movies that fail to be good is hardly enjoyable by comparison to the absurdity that is actually well done.
: shrug : I'm getting my PhD at some point in this decade... Not an easy thing to do, rather time consuming, actually; hence, my preference for what I consider to be better movies. There's only that much time in my life and I would rather spend it enjoying something that's truly good rather than merely mediocre. :eek:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And I don't think it's right having Donnie Darko next to Pulp Fiction.
lol. saved me the trouble.

i fully agree with the sentiment that if one does not know that movies are basically makebelieve then one has a much more serious problem than one's bugs not being portrayed with all scientific accuracy! luckily there is probably a pill for one's problems.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you crazy Rochelle??! Blazing saddles OWNED! :p
I have actually heard people say, "you keep tarantulas? Eww those giant hairy spiders from the scary movies? I HATE SPIDERS! RAWR!" And from there, it is clear that some sort of brainwashing or subliminal pre-programming has been going on . :confused: :embarrassed: Either way of course a lot of movies are far-fetched and makebelieve, but Tarantulas really exist, not necessary 50' tall with the capacity to eat hundreds of people a day, but how do they know the difference? I also concur uninformed public is an unsightly thing ;)

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, arachnophobia is a genetically beneficial trait by natural selection. You know, "don't mess with nasty looking bugs - some are dangerous" sort of idea. I don't think people's fears of spiders are connected with media.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, arachnophobia is a genetically beneficial trait by natural selection. You know, "don't mess with nasty looking bugs - some are dangerous" sort of idea. I don't think people's fears of spiders are connected with media.
Good point, hadn't thought about it like that. But the curious nature of humans will be at wits end with the instinctual fears. Every person is kinda like each different T.. Most of the same genus will have the same behaviors or characteristics, but you'll always find those "skittish" individuals..

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, sure, humans have the capacity to apply their intellect to override primal instincts, but given how the vast majority fails to do so in important matters (like not making war and such), it is really too much to expect for them to care to understand spiders, unfortunately.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will only say "those films has made history in some way and has marked the life of many people" but I don't like them.. I rather a good documentary or another kind of film, not the kind of film with simple animals shown like monsters and destroying the world..

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Does anybody remember an episode of Get Smart where they put a T on Maxwell Smart, and he froze. Then someone came in and put a mirror up to the T and slowly got it off him.
I wonder if that really works:rolleyes:

Also does anyone remember the movie "squirm"
good stuff

Last edited: