Poll: How long were you in the hobby before joining a board?

How long were you in the hobby before joining a board?

• Basically the same time as my first T

Votes: 38 46.3%
  • Less than a year

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • 1-4 years

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Over 10 years

Votes: 12 14.6%

• Total voters

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was curious to see how many people, and for how long people were in the hobby before joining any boards on tarantulas? Where did you aquire your knowledge of T keeping?

I bought my first T in 1997. I went crazy buying T's within a few months I had over two dozen. During that time there really wasn't alot of information on the internet. I bought all the books I could find, read them, re-read them, and read them again. I joined the ATS and received their periodical every two or three months. The rest of my knowledge came from years of experience, some good, some bad.
I have to admit, I have learned more since joining a few boards. The amount of pictures in intense.:)

Last edited:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd only been in the hobby for a few months when I joined. I'd perchased my B. smithi in march of last year, and I joined in august after purchasing my second T. (MM A. avicularia) I learned mostly through books and information on the internet.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A friend of mine got me into the hobby and he was a member here and highly suggested it.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I joined the board before I joined the hobby. I was here for about 2 months before I got my first t. I believe in educating yourself before getting a pet. :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually was a member of this forum befor I got my first tarantula... I kept scorpions befor I got T's... This forum.. Everyones pictures.. and the excitement everyone showed for their tarantulas are the reason I started getting T's.. I got into keeping T's back in August of 09.. I have enjoyed every minute of it...

The friendlyness.. The joy.. The knowledge everyone is willing to share.. This is the one forum that has offered me that since I started keeping them.. Even with scorpions..

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I bought my Rosie last January, and learned through reading the TKG as well as lurking on the Internet. The Internet is to blame for my addiction, because the second I saw a versi, GBB, and a P. metallica I absolutely had to have those species....soon, along came a P. irminia, and I was hooked for life!!!!

In April of last year I joined another forum that eventually led me here.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I joined the board before I joined the hobby. I was here for about 2 months before I got my first t. I believe in educating yourself before getting a pet. :)
i did the same thing and well... thinking about how i joined the boards is lovely :p
if anyone knows... search: there is a little add-on called stumble!! I came across a spider website where i saw great spider pictures till i came across tarantula section where there was something sayin that tarantulas were kept as pets and there is no deaths from tarantulas and their venom was not deadly! I started to search pictures... amazed... information... amazed... got into boards... read read asked read asked read read... and bam...1 T... half year l8r... another T.. and now... a little bit more than a year after i bought my first T i have 3 Ts coming from england to portugal :D can't w8 to pick them up hehe =) this is the best hobby that anyone can have... its intricate(? bad spelling) , u know "nothing" about what you keep, they dont make noise... dont smell.. they are cheap, you can keep them in the corner, you can go on vacations and they can stay healthy... it's perfect! they ocupy almost no room! (except if you have thousands haha :p) and they are amazingly fun to watch! man... am i done talking about how much i love this ? :p

cheers everyone :D

//Tiago

DMBizeau

Arachnopeon
It took me quite awhile to actually join, before I joined I would just look things up without joining or ask friends with experience.

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I joined the forums the day I got my T's, but I was reading these forums for about 3 months before actually registering. I found out about these forums through watching all kinds of Youtube videos.

Big B

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a bunch about 10 years ago, took a long break and got back into it. Then joined AB 6 mo or so afterwards.

"Never trust a fart"

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I joined this board the same day I got my first T! But I had been reading the boards for a few weeks prior to that.

Marvin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I started reading on forums about a week before I got my first T. I wanted to get some basic knowledge before the T arrived. Reason I joined a board is because I don't trust many of the care sheets you find on google.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had been browsing the forum for a couple weeks before I got my first T, and then I joined.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Over a year.
My friend owns the local rep shop so was well into it before I even had a snake,scorp or spid.
Saw no need to join a forum with him around.
Things changed though as my collection grew bigger and bigger and all of a sudden I realised he did not know everything so had to look elsewhere to further my knowledge.....hence forums.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I kept scorps for 3 months before I joined.....then after seeing all kinds of T stuff on here I decided to get my B.smithi.......then it kinda went nuts from there. {D

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i had dabbled with tarantulas when i was a child(held them but was terrified) then when i was about 17 buddy of mine called me up and said he had a T for me. it started there. then i had some obt's given to me.about a year later. but i didnt really get into it untill i quite drugs and needed a past time to keep my mind at ease. a year later i joined A.B. its been a godsend ever since.

No regrets and im not leaveing!;P

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
after my first set of Ts, google led me to this site! and its been cool!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't even known if I can select a poll. I was already into true spiders, someone here contacted me after seeing my spider videos so I got invited. I read and replied to many topics here for many months before my mom caved in and I was able to get my first tarantulas. I am actually able to get more, but only after I've raised these for a while and they get bigger. I'm thinking my mom is seeing if I'll bore of them (NOT gonna happen. Sorry Mom and Paps. I'm not a child anymore and I got the bug fever {D)

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Got my first T when I was 6. She was a 2" G Rosea, named duhh "Rosey" unique right, she lived 12 years in our care. Had quite a few G. Rosea over the years but gave it up after she died. I decided to get another a few years after she died and that search lead me here.