Pokies Vs Bullet Ant

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I know pokie venom is ranked up on the top of the scale but how formidable is it to the bullet ants sting? I've seen stings from the and it seems quite similar to a pokies bite (cramps, fiery pains, nausea etc. ) so how bad are pokies in comparison? I know the venom is different between both and that probably none of you have been stung by a bullet ant so if you guys know anything about it i'm interested! (if you have been stung by a bullet ant i'm sorry that sounds terrible)

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Bite reports have noted cramps and spasms lasting for weeks to months after a pokie bite. Not sire how long it lasts for bullet ants.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Bite reports have noted cramps and spasms lasting for weeks to months after a pokie bite. Not sire how long it lasts for bullet ants.
Wow! that's a bite! I've read some of the bite reports for pokies but there's not much out there for the bullet ant.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Wow! that's a bite! I've read some of the bite reports for pokies but there's not much out there for the bullet ant.
I just read a sting report for a bullet ant (on esquire of all places) and the dude said it lasted about 12 hours. Id say the pokie wins.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Bullet ant stings are based from the Schmidt Pain Index, that is Schmidt willingly allowed himself to be stung so he can record the intensity of the pain.
His work involved Hymenopteran's (eusocial insects). I don't think anyone would fancy to get bitten by tarantulas of all manner and sorts due to the unwanted mechanical damage involved.

However, to compare, Hymenopteran stings (specifically the more venomous ones) are SHARP and intense, and CAN shut a person down but for brief moments only - the pain subsides relatively quickly. In contrast, Tarantula bites are more "blunt", that is a person remains functional immediately after getting bitten, but the symptoms of envenomation persist for days nonetheless.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
We need however to take always in consideration that the 'pain level' may vary person to person. Consider always those kind of venoms (no matter a 'pokie' or a P.clavata) like a sort of freaking 'grenade' inside your body, not sure where/how to 'explode', exactly.

Ask to cold blood and he will tell you about one of his acquaintance that, after a 'pokie' bite, suffered a pretty bad post bite effect.

I've also once read a speculation about a man that almost went into a sort of kinda "light" in/out coma after being tagged by one (I do not exactly remember now which 'pokie' was but I think P.ornata).

You and me (for the same multiple reasons that we actually doesn't know well) after a 'pokie' bite can suffer different effects, because can enters a different health condition etc

Overall, probably only one that was bitten badly by both (lol) can truly give you a proper detailed answer :)

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
I was under the impression most OW T venom is about the same in toxicity but what sets pokies apart is their venom glands are much bigger than any other? They pump you real good if it's not a dry bite...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was under the impression most OW T venom is about the same in toxicity but what sets pokies apart is their venom glands are much bigger than any other? They pump you real good if it's not a dry bite...
I believe you are wrong on this one, regarding equal toxicity.

basin79

ArachnoGod
1 bullet ant vs a pokie bite?

I'd take a goat chewing on my gonads.

iEatRazorz

Arachnopeon
I believe it was on Wildboyz, that "nature" show with Chris Pontious and Steveo from Jackass, put on a glove filled with bullet ants.

I won't post the clip and it's been awhile since I've watched the DVD, but they didn't react to well... it was a coming of age thing a tribe does.