Pokies, larger pokies - and enclosures

Phases

Arachnoknight
Curious, what size enclosures does everyone keep their 6, 7, 8 inch pokies in?

I have a regalis I've yet to be able to measure but she's at least 6 inches. She's in the enclosure she came in still, and considering substrate the free space is about 7.5 x 7.5 x 9.

She's behind the leaned up cork bark, stays on the ground, and every night makes more headway toward building up walls on the right and left to give herself privacy. (mixing substrate and silk)

Seeings how she should be up in a tree catching flying insects, I'm just wondering if I should rehouse her into one of the 12 x 12 x 18 front opening enclosures - or if she's fine where she is a while longer. Cuz, $. Heh.

I'll edit in a picture or two shortly. Just curious everyone's recommendations. If she's fine I'll be happy.. if she should be upgraded I'll figure it out.

Going off the legspan rule of thumb I suppose this is a dumb question..

20170730_112756.jpg 20170730_112742.jpg 20170730_112750.jpg

Last edited:

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a ~7" P. regalis in a 8x8x14 acrylic enclosure (Jamie's). Substrate is about 2" so roughly 12" of free vertical space. She's usually in her cork tube, on her cork tube, or on the side of the enclosure next to her cork tube. I rarely see her anywhere else.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have one of those 12x12x18 enclosures that has had a regalis in it since it was around 2.5 inches or so. I know that it's frowned upon to have small spiders in large spaces but I've had no problems at all. I think it's probably around 4 inches or so now. I love it and eventually I want to get more of them. As long as the prey can be found with minimal difficulty it should be fine.

Phases

Arachnoknight
I've got my 4.5" C. Versicolor in my 12 x 12 x 18 now - I hate to rehouse and make her redo her web. Perhaps I'll buy another, or get a 5 or 10 gallon and lay on it's side, if I can figure out adding acrylic. Oh, here she is :)

kali.jpg

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I've got my 4.5" C. Versicolor in my 12 x 12 x 18 now - I hate to rehouse and make her redo her web. Perhaps I'll buy another, or get a 5 or 10 gallon and lay on it's side, if I can figure out adding acrylic. Oh, here she is :)

View attachment 247455
The enclosure looks fine at the moment, is your regalis a male/female, if female she's gonna get a whole lot bigger, as I said she's fine in the enclosure she's occupying ATM but I would be upgrading it quite soon, s/he looks beautiful BTW, as most of them do, can't go wrong with Poecilotheria.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Thank ya :)

I was told she's a she, but I've yet to verify it myself.