Poke cage help

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'll go ahead and reply here instead of thru private message. I've experimented with several backdrop materials (not sure if you can tell in the pics).

I always like to cover the back wall entirely, so I hot glue flat cork bark pieces close together. Then I just fill the gaps to complete the look. You can use foam if gaps are larger and then just cover with silicone and substrate (plenty of YouTube tutorials available). Or if gaps are smaller, I've used zoo med excavator sand/clay or even just really tightly packed green moss.

As far as foliage, I like going to craft stores or wedding stores have lot of fake plants for displays. Think of what jungle fauna looks like... vines, twigs, roots, ferns, etc. It's good you have leaf litter, as many people overlook that simple addition. I mean what forest doesn't have leaf litter everywhere?

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask more specific questions. I really do believe that making tanks is a craft, and it take a thought and refining just like any skill.

- Mr Haas
Love your set ups. :)

And yep, that's exactly what I was thinking just now. Cork is really expensive here so itll have to be something else.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Adding leaf litter instead of just dirt to the bottom is a nice touch.
Lol the leaf litter looks pretty but we always argue over how much to put in BC it makes husbandry a bit more difficult... sometimes its like I need like a freakin GPS tracking chip to locate the smaller/dwarf Ts when I feed and water (they could potentially crawl out if unseen) or locate uneaten crickets or Bolus to remove lol! Plus, remember the more stuff u put into the tank the heavier it gets... some of those exoterras weigh like 20lbs! No joke.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Love your set ups. :)

And yep, that's exactly what I was thinking just now. Cork is really expensive here so itll have to be something else.
Cork is getting harder and harder to find BC it takes FOREVER to grow. We stock up anytime we see any at a pet store... I would also research what kind of wood you can and cannot use in your enclosures. I think that it’s not good to use pine or redwood or something like that so I’m sure there are some restrictions as well.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Got a good deal on exo teras recently. And some big cork pieces. I cleaned one out and set it up, but it's not quite looking right.. I'm thinking maybe some foliage top left.. but I don't know if that will clash too much with the natural wood look.

Anyway, would appreciate some suggestions on how to improve the aesthetics.. View attachment 258226 View attachment 258227
View attachment 258228
You’re tanks look very similar to the ones my husband make excluding the back drop and a few plastic plants... you got the right idea, just try experimenting and have fun with it, ull find a method you like and will stick to eventually! Great job!

raggamuffin415

Arachnosquire
Certain wood especially if it has sap or resin can be dangerous for spiders. Do a little research on that before just sticking anything in there. Cork is good because it doesn't mold easily. Some woods retain moisture and before you know it you have green fluffy mold all over it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Certain wood especially if it has sap or resin can be dangerous for spiders. Do a little research on that before just sticking anything in there. Cork is good because it doesn't mold easily. Some woods retain moisture and before you know it you have green fluffy mold all over it.
Like what? Pine and cedar?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Interesting. I've heard that's all one big myth.

I use whatever this is. Pine maybe? 1513739334281-1863047780.jpg 1513739334281-1863047780.jpg

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Well I took all of the inspirstion from this thread and finished my first adult poec enclosure. I found pre-done corkboard 12”x12” on amazon, got a cork round at Petco that I cut in two (I’ll use the other half in my P smithi enclosure) and already had the plants. Turned out pretty decent I think!

D492D1A3-B7E2-4341-B6F2-F8868795E3EA.jpeg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well I took all of the inspirstion from this thread and finished my first adult poec enclosure. I found pre-done corkboard 12”x12” on amazon, got a cork round at Petco that I cut in two (I’ll use the other half in my P smithi enclosure) and already had the plants. Turned out pretty decent I think!

View attachment 264299
Those are good cages. Did you hot glue the bottom pieces? They warp with time and water can leak out.