Poecilotheria metallica final terrarium size

firedept10

Arachnopeon
Just got a Poecilotheria metallica. She is about 4" in size currently. She is in an Exo Terra 8x8x12 currently. What would be the perfect size for a final home eventually. I'd like to stick with an Exo terra. Thank you for any advice you can offer me.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
That enclosure would be fine even for an adult. These are smaller poecs, even the largest of females rarely surpass 6.5''.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Depends on how close to her you are comfortable being when you feed her or maintainance the enclosure. Personally i would want at least a 12×12.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is the size of my P. met and their enclosure... it is plenty big enough to sustain one at adult size :)

Depends on how close to her you are comfortable being when you feed her or maintainance the enclosure. Personally i would want at least a 12×12.
My P. met is an absolute puppy... not defensive or flighty. Are most not like that?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
That is the size of my P. met and their enclosure... it is plenty big enough to sustain one at adult size :)

My P. met is an absolute puppy... not defensive or flighty. Are most not like that?
They have a rep for being one of if not the most skittish pokies. Reguardless, of attitude/personality, i would want more room than that. Putting a 6" spider in an 8x8 just seems too snug to me.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They have a rep for being one of if not the most skittish pokies. Reguardless, of attitude/personality, i would want more room than that. Putting a 6" spider in an 8x8 just seems too snug to me.
Interesting! My Ts all seem to have a penchant for not following reputations of their species, it seems lol I get all up in mine's face to take photos, s/he comes to the front of the enclosure begging for food, etc. I took this at feeding time the other night... it isn't zooomed in. I squished my hands and phone into the ExoTerra, trying to get a good shot. S/he took so long to settle in when relocated to this enclosure that I decided not to move them again.

That being said... there is nothing wrong with sizing up an enclosure!

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
P Miranda is also skittish never saw a threat pose yet .
I just wish I had more pokies . Aboreals except Maybe bigger ones don’t use a lot of space .

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mine's a bit of a spaz, he'll either run laps or throw up a threat posture.

At least it's not just me who has defective tarantulas then :rofl:
Mine has *never* run laps or threat postured at me lol

Bwahahaha right! I have a house full of baboons and never get threat postures.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Mine has *never* run laps or threat postured at me lol

Bwahahaha right! I have a house full of baboons and never get threat postures.
Gloating, eh? Beware the spider gods: they tend to punish hubris! ;)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Beware the spider gods: they tend to punish hubris! ;)
Yup.

"Oh look, I have the most hilariously docile B. hamorii female in the history of docile B. hamorii females, she doesn't even kick hairs"

**One moult later**

"Erm.... At least she's still not a hair kicker"

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Gloating, eh? Beware the spider gods: they tend to punish hubris! ;)
I wasn't gloating... I was just saying mine has never done those things lol I am not one to brag.. I believe it is in poor taste to do so (;