Poecilotheria metallica care

Charlie1234

Arachnopeon
Just want to know if u think what im doing here is correct
So i have picked up a p.metallica sling and i want to ensure he will live as ik slings can sometimes just die for no reason
Sling size : 1-2cm
Enclosure : sling viles not the really small ones the actual tall sling pots u would recieve a sub adult in etc
Humidity : i dont use humidity % i just go off substrate so i will keep them moist basically ik they like it moist and humid in there
Housing : substrate about as deep as there top to bottom in leg span bit deeper so around 4 cm deep , a small leaf in there or small piece of bark and some moss at the bottom to hold humidity
Temp : im going to keeo at 22 c like the rest of my Ts but i will keep these closer to my gecko enclosure so they will be kept at around 24
Feed : small locust probably pre killed not sure yet will have to see there size in person
So yh does this all look good to you guys if not lmk where i could do better as i do wanna ensure these guys grow up thanks for ur time

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Pictures of the proposed enclosures would be helpful.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
I keep my comparably sized metallica in one of these. Very well ventilated, with a "cork-stop" port on top that allows watering/light housekeeping/feeding/furniture manipulation with very little risk of escape. They're great for arboreals, in my opinion, & they're only like $8 US. An added benefit is they "twist-lock" open & closed halfway up, which is jostling enough to make them retreat to their "safe space," making it a little easier to control their whereabouts during rehousing, etc. 20220602_124951_HDR.jpg 20220602_125016_HDR.jpg 20220602_125047_HDR.jpg

Charlie1234

Arachnopeon
I keep my comparably sized metallica in one of these. Very well ventilated, with a "cork-stop" port on top that allows watering/light housekeeping/feeding/furniture manipulation with very little risk of escape. They're great for arboreals, in my opinion, & they're only like $8 US. An added benefit is they "twist-lock" open & closed halfway up, which is jostling enough to make them retreat to their "safe space," making it a little easier to control their whereabouts during rehousing, etc. View attachment 420109 View attachment 420110 View attachment 420111
Ive seen those there cool

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
I keep my comparably sized metallica in one of these. Very well ventilated, with a "cork-stop" port on top that allows watering/light housekeeping/feeding/furniture manipulation with very little risk of escape. They're great for arboreals, in my opinion, & they're only like $8 US. An added benefit is they "twist-lock" open & closed halfway up, which is jostling enough to make them retreat to their "safe space," making it a little easier to control their whereabouts during rehousing, etc. View attachment 420109 View attachment 420110 View attachment 420111
I really rate these also! Using them for all my arboreal slings :) I've got a couple of the XL versions lined up for when I next need them.

Screenshot_20220602-193013_Gallery.jpg

This was my last weekends updates, 2 subfusca hl slings into the ones I got off the spider shop and SA male metallica into his final emclosure. He disappeared seconds later :rofl:

I also have a metallica sling, it's one of the picker eaters I've had and likes to be offered prey a size smaller than my others pokies similarly sized. Apart from that it's been no different to anything else :)

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
I really rate these also! Using them for all my arboreal slings :) I've got a couple of the XL versions lined up for when I next need them.

View attachment 420112

This was my last weekends updates, 2 subfusca hl slings into the ones I got off the spider shop and SA male metallica into his final emclosure. He disappeared seconds later :rofl:

I also have a metallica sling, it's one of the picker eaters I've had and likes to be offered prey a size smaller than my others pokies similarly sized. Apart from that it's been no different to anything else :)
I'll second this...they do seem to prefer smaller food items than you might expect.
Also, with regards to the XL version, I've had bad luck with them cracking upon opening or closing; I think the plastic is too thin, in my opinion. After ruining two, I just reinforced around the diameter of the thing (on the top part) with tape, just to sturdy it up a bit, & that seems to have helped. I also found sanding down the lock nubs just a bit reduced the amount of effort it was taking to open/close them, thereby minimizing the risk of splitting it. Those larger ones could have been designed a little better if you ask me, but they're still very nice.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
I'll second this...they do seem to prefer smaller food items than you might expect.
Also, with regards to the XL version, I've had bad luck with them cracking upon opening or closing; I think the plastic is too thin, in my opinion. After ruining two, I just reinforced around the diameter of the thing (on the top part) with tape, just to sturdy it up a bit, & that seems to have helped. I also found sanding down the lock nubs just a bit reduced the amount of effort it was taking to open/close them, thereby minimizing the risk of splitting it. Those larger ones could have been designed a little better if you ask me, but they're still very nice.
One of my smaller ones is pretty tight fitting and I've felt like I could have burst it a couple of time.
I know what you mean re. the XLs though, fortunately mine are fairly easy to turn so I'm not using much pressure

VermillionFox

Arachnopeon
Just be prepared for two things with pokie slings:

- They'll throw up dirt curtains or outright burrow. I usually give a little less substrate so they'll choose to curtain which feels a bit easier to monitor.

- I swear they're a lot more fragile than other species as slings, save perhaps avicularia. A lot should make it to adulthood, but this genus for me and others I've spoken to at shows and around, seem to have a tinge of dropping until they get to 2-3" range. Just know in the unlikely event something happens, be 99% sure it was not on you, especially if around molts. Had a vitatta go into seizures, a striata with stomach/fang issues, and an ornata drop for nobody knows why. Rest have been champs.

(oh, and make sure to keep her in a barely lit area. Metallicas haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate light)

Charlie1234

Arachnopeon
Just be prepared for two things with pokie slings:

- They'll throw up dirt curtains or outright burrow. I usually give a little less substrate so they'll choose to curtain which feels a bit easier to monitor.

- I swear they're a lot more fragile than other species as slings, save perhaps avicularia. A lot should make it to adulthood, but this genus for me and others I've spoken to at shows and around, seem to have a tinge of dropping until they get to 2-3" range. Just know in the unlikely event something happens, be 99% sure it was not on you, especially if around molts. Had a vitatta go into seizures, a striata with stomach/fang issues, and an ornata drop for nobody knows why. Rest have been champs.

(oh, and make sure to keep her in a barely lit area. Metallicas haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate light)
Gotchu man 👍 i will probably just cover them over then

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Litterally like this
Tbh, I'd just house it in a 32oz deli cup right off the bat, they're fast/good enough hunters that the space doesn't matter, it also gives you a little more space to work with as P. metallica are extremely high strung and erratic IME.