pockies: over rated

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
$100 is a reasonable price for a sling right? I've seen adults priced for as high as $500. THAT would be a big financial blow.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Honestly I like pokies in general, but if there is one I find over-rated it is P. metallica. Sure they are beautiful in both coloration and pattern, but I don't see why so many people want to spend that ridiculous amount of money on them, especially when something could always go wrong, and if it ends up dead that is a huge financial blow.
If the demand for metallica wasn't so strong, prices would come down, which they gradually are year after year, as more are available. New introductions tend to be pricey. You don't have to look far to find adults going for several hundred dollars of a number of species, not just Poecs. But as new species are bred by more people, prices come down. And there's always something new coming on the horizon. Typical cycle.

Those that take a gamble and invest in expensive new introductions are also the ones that get the big pay offs when they reproduce them and those sacs hatch. They should be rewarded for the risks they take. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have nearly as many species in the hobby, and prices would be higher. How many of us are going to spend $500-$1,000 on a pair of slings of a species that's not in the USA yet? Thank God someone does it. And you know they've taken some big losses along the way. I applaud the individuals that have played a part in the 13 species of Poecs that are being bred in this country. They're my heroes.

numinous

Arachnopeon
Personally I feel that it is no one's business what type of spider I like or want or why I like or want it. I also feel that anyone who bases what they like or want on someone else's opinions is doing themelve's a disservice. Get what you like or want and keep your comments and thoughts concerning my likes to yourself. "What other people think or say about you is none of your business".

Niffarious

Arachnoknight
$100 is a reasonable price for a sling right? I've seen adults priced for as high as $500. THAT would be a big financial blow.
I would say so, and I believe in the US you can get them cheaper if you look. And I agree about the adults! Other species are commanding similar prices at the moment. But like Poec54, I appreciate the people who do invest in these critters so that I can have them at a later date. Everything about this hobby is a waiting game! ;D

When I had some extra spending $$ I got myself a P. met sling, who has turned out male. The friend who sold it to me is going to 'lend' me his female so I can make breeding attempts when he matures, so I think I've still lucked out. :)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think a GBB is expensive enough for me at the moment. I will eventually acquire a P.metallica someday, I am just in no hurry to get one. I guess it's still because I have many other species on my wish list that come before it. Anyway, GBB is just as pretty as P. metallica IMO and are more affordable.

Also I don't agree with that whole "It's my business what I like so keep your comments to yourself" attitude. Maybe the way the OP approached the subject was not the best way to do so, but I like asking others what their favorite types of Ts are and what they enjoy most about them. It's just friendly conversation and sharing of interests.

Niffarious

Arachnoknight
Also I don't agree with that whole "It's my business what I like so keep your comments to yourself" attitude. Maybe the way the OP approached the subject was not the best way to do so, but I like asking others what their favorite types of Ts are and what they enjoy most about them. It's just friendly conversation and sharing of interests.
The way the OP approached it was intending to troll, but it's been a mostly pleasant discussion nonetheless. :) There's no reason to hate on what other people like, but it is nice to know why people like what they do. In the past it's encouraged me to give certain species a try I wouldn't have otherwise.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
This actually made me like species I didn't like before. Because I started observing features I wasn't aware of before.

Cydaea

Arachnosquire
I found an online (Dutch) dealer that has P.met slings (2nd instar I believe) for €30. I'm almost tempted to order one. But let's see how I do with my avics first.

SpiderGirl610

Arachnopeon
You were right, HE was sexed with his last molt. I never let my guard down with my ts, especially with the faster ones, like my Trinidad chevron and m.balfouri and always have an emergency catcher cup whenever I open the cages in case someone tries to make a run for it(the chevron in particular is a runner). All my spiders are treated as display only, no matter the temperament or potency, mostly bc I want them to stay nice and fluffy and not lose hairs flicking them at me and bc I do not like stressing them out.
Compared to the ghost ornamental, most all my spiders are 'predictable' in that they are rarely aggressive, always run into their hides when disturbed, only refuse food when premolt, and molt at regular intervals. Of course they're are exceptions, like Carmen my B.Boehmei who molts at random intervals on a 'when I feel like it' schedule, and Nugget my Costa rican tiger rump who often has wild mood swings and more often than not comes at me aggressively when I feed her(she was in an abusive home b4 she came to me, so I feel this entitles her to a bad attitude every now and again) but overall, I have a well behaved bunch of well fed, happy spiders(tho I'm always ready for any surprise they may throw at me).
Since my previous post, I have fallen in love with p. rufilata and have serious plans to acquire one for my collection now that the ghost has gone back to his home. Poec power! :)

coughinitup

Arachnopeon
I agree. I love my regalis! It just molted today as a matter of fact. My fasciata and striata turned out to be males :/. But, I'm waiting on my two rufis and my metallica to mature, there is still hope!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I don't get the pockie hype they-- Hold on Ima let you finish, but Aphonopelma is the best genus of all! :D

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
The OP is Banned but, Genus is more of Personal Opinion Pokies are my favorite spiders though brachy's second favorite. Old worlder's in general I love No Urticating hairs.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Pokies are my favorite spiders though brachy's second favorite. Old worlder's in general I love No Urticating hairs.
Agreed, except about Brachys; kind of an odd pairing with Poecs. I'd think your second favorite would be Cyriopagopus or Lampropelma.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Agreed, except about Brachys; kind of an odd pairing with Poecs. I'd think your second favorite would be Cyriopagopus or Lampropelma.
Well Orange Baboons are pretty cool little guys I sadly don't have any of of those two Genus you mentioned, Yet.
brachys are kind of boring compared to pokies, also. I just like there colors.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The genus I like most are avics and pokies, which couldn't be more different :p

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, they both are arboreals, so technically, they could be more different. ;)
I know I meant in terms of behavior, venom potency, etc. I do really like arboreals though. They're typically a bit more costly to house unless you're inventive, but they have some very interesting habits.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I know I meant in terms of behavior, venom potency, etc. I do really like arboreals though. They're typically a bit more costly to house unless you're inventive, but they have some very interesting habits.
They're very alert, big eyes. I love the agility and speed, little acrobats. They also seem smarter than the average terrestral. With the lanky arboreals, nothing looks more impressive than long legs and big scopulae with the metatarsi bowed out and tarsi bowed in. Tells you they can go anywhere, and at any speed they want.

Avics and the related genera are distinctive, peculiar spiders with a charm of their own. Can't help but like them.