PLZ help! Should I disturb my pre-molt Curly Hair to check the Cricket I put last night?

achy513

Arachnopeon
TL;DR, I put a cricket in my curly hair's enclosure last night, its gone by today at 1PM. Just realize my T's abdomen got black and shiny, and I'm not sure whether he/she ate the cricket or no. Should I disturb my baby by removing his/her hide (a coconut shell) to make sure the cricket's gone? My T is a juvenile curly hair about 2 inch.

Background: I'm a newbie and this is my first baby, I just got him/her 2 and half wks ago. His/her abdomen was bald since I got it, but it was a beige color. Since about a week ago my T's been hiding in the coconut shell and blocked the entrance, and haven't eaten at all ever since I got him/her. I thought it might be in pre molt, but last time I saw his/her abdomen is still beige color (2 or 3 days ago). I could be wrong because I can't get a clear look at him/her.
I put a cricket in his/her disclosure last night at 9pm, I checked today at 8AM cricket still there hiding, checked again at 1PM afternoon cricket is gone. And I just got a good look at my T's abdomen (its now 10pm), its all black and shiny!! I'm so exited its going to molt but I'm also worried about the cricket!. I got a coconut shell for my curly hair's hide, and its real nice and dark and I can't see sht. I hate to disturb my T cuz I know its real stressful time for him/her and he/she barely settled down. But I cannot risk the chance of having my first baby eaten by a Cricket! Could the cricket really be hiding in my T's hide? I've been checking every now and then and I don't see the cricket, but pre-molt Ts don't eat and don't budge right?..Can anyone help me decide? I'm sorry for my silly question but I'm just really nervous... and plz excuse my english.

sasker

Arachnoprince
If the abdomen only just started to become dark, you will have another few days before it will actually molt. I think it is unlikely that your tarantula ate the cricket because they usually don't eat when in premolt. If I were you, I would gently lift the coconut shell and remove the cricket (if it is still there) because it could certainly harm your spider when it starts to molt.

In the future, remove a prey item if it has not been eaten during the night.

Perhaps you could show a picture of your entire enclosure, to get a feel of the whole situation. Uneaten crickets do not disappear so easily if the enclosure is not very large.

achy513

Arachnopeon
If the abdomen only just started to become dark, you will have another few days before it will actually molt. I think it is unlikely that your tarantula ate the cricket because they usually don't eat when in premolt. If I were you, I would gently lift the coconut shell and remove the cricket (if it is still there) because it could certainly harm your spider when it starts to molt.

In the future, remove a prey item if it has not been eaten during the night.

Perhaps you could show a picture of your entire enclosure, to get a feel of the whole situation. Uneaten crickets do not disappear so easily if the enclosure is not very large.
Thanks for your advice! I just gently lifted the shell away, and I couldn't find anything! I checked thoroughly, underneath the shell, around the fake plants, only didn't dig up every inch of substrate. Cricket don't burrow do they? I don't even see any remains..
2.jpg 4.jpg

sasker

Arachnoprince
Well, that is a riddle you will hopefully never have to worry about (as in your spider will not be attacked by the cricket :)). Perhaps it died on its own accord somewhere in the bushes.

I noticed that the substrate is rather moist. A tarantula of this size and this species does not need moist substrate. Overflowing the water dish should be enough and spraying the enclosure should not be necessary if there is a water dish. It's no big deal, just let it dry out a little.

Nice spider! It will molt before the end of this week, I expect. Make sure to keep the skin so you can see if it is a boy or a girl.

achy513

Arachnopeon
Well, that is a riddle you will hopefully never have to worry about (as in your spider will not be attacked by the cricket :)). Perhaps it died on its own accord somewhere in the bushes.

I noticed that the substrate is rather moist. A tarantula of this size and this species does not need moist substrate. Overflowing the water dish should be enough and spraying the enclosure should not be necessary if there is a water dish. It's no big deal, just let it dry out a little.

Nice spider! It will molt before the end of this week, I expect. Make sure to keep the skin so you can see if it is a boy or a girl.
Thank you so much for your help! TBH I hope the cricket just escaped cuz I'd be kind of worry a dead cricket causing bad smell and bacterial in the enclosure. If my T did happen to eat the cricket, I should be able to find its remain right? I read its easier for a T to molt in a more moist environment so I even put my humidifier beside it, I guess that's more than enough :) He/she's been so nice and docile and kind of stubborn at the same time, I wish the best of luck for him/her.

sasker

Arachnoprince
A dead cricket will not be a cause of bad smell or a danger to the environment of your tarantula. It will just dry out and that's it. I don't think you will find many remains of the cricket if it is eaten either. It is really not necessary to significantly increase humidity to help your tarantula molt. If anything, I think it will stress out your tarantula if the humidity is too high. B. albopilosum is not a rain forest dweller and it really does not benefit from high humidity levels.

Best of luck with your tarantula. Maybe it will be the first one of a large collection :D

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
@achy513 I really like the shape of your enclosure. Is seems like a critter keeper but much better. Where did you get the enclosure? I might like to get one. I agree about the substrate being too moist. Many people here told me to moisten one side by overflowing the water dish and to leave the other side dry. The tarantula will choose where it wants to be. It seems to be working for my B. Albos. Good luck.

achy513

Arachnopeon
A dead cricket will not be a cause of bad smell or a danger to the environment of your tarantula. It will just dry out and that's it. I don't think you will find many remains of the cricket if it is eaten either. It is really not necessary to significantly increase humidity to help your tarantula molt. If anything, I think it will stress out your tarantula if the humidity is too high. B. albopilosum is not a rain forest dweller and it really does not benefit from high humidity levels.

Best of luck with your tarantula. Maybe it will be the first one of a large collection :D
I see, I got coco fibre for the substrate and I gotta say, it really does well of what it says: keeping moisture. I'll leave it alone and only change its water dish from now!

achy513

Arachnopeon
@achy513 I really like the shape of your enclosure. Is seems like a critter keeper but much better. Where did you get the enclosure? I might like to get one. I agree about the substrate being too moist. Many people here told me to moisten one side by overflowing the water dish and to leave the other side dry. The tarantula will choose where it wants to be. It seems to be working for my B. Albos. Good luck.
Thank you! I got this enclosure at my local reptile expo along with my baby T :) I kind of hesitated of getting the enclosure first and thought my pet store may carry more, but I'm so glad I got it. My pet store has crappy cages yet ask about the same price. I did a quick a google search and I actually found it, the enclosure is from the brand "EXO TERRA", very nice cages and they categorize mine as breeder box. Comes in different sizes too, very good quality, I have the smallest one for about $18 canadian. http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/breeding_box_terrariums.php

achy513

Arachnopeon
I think I'll get one or a few. Thanks for the info.
I just closely inspected the enclosure again wondering could the cricket possibly escaped, and I noticed on the side window there, just beneath and above of the opening nob, there is a small opening that just may be big enough for the cricket to escape. I saw the cricket climb up the green plant in there and it may be smart enough to squeeze through. I'll probably seal it up with tape or glue, something to note.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
OP -- it sounds like you're doing your best and have done all you can at this point. I can understand if you keep checking enclosure to verify that crix was consumed/escaped for T's safety. There isn't much more you can do now but trust your own best judgment.
Good luck with upcoming moult! :)

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I just closely inspected the enclosure again wondering could the cricket possibly escaped, and I noticed on the side window there, just beneath and above of the opening nob, there is a small opening that just may be big enough for the cricket to escape. I saw the cricket climb up the green plant in there and it may be smart enough to squeeze through. I'll probably seal it up with tape or glue, something to note.
Crickets are masters at escaping. In the beginning I didn't need very many crickets, so I bought a cricket keeper. It's terrible. Crickets were escaping all the time, so I started to keep the cricket keeper inside of a kritter keeper. The crickets would get out of the cricket keeper into the kritter keeper and die from lack of food and water. Now I use an old pretzel container that I burned small holes into for ventilation. No more escapes. Sometimes the fancy stuff just doesnt work all that well. Thanks for the heads up on the breeder box. I was legit just looking on amazon. I might hold off if it allows for cricket escapes.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Aside from the wet substrate i really like the look of your enclosure and beautiful T :D

achy513

Arachnopeon
Crickets are masters at escaping. In the beginning I didn't need very many crickets, so I bought a cricket keeper. It's terrible. Crickets were escaping all the time, so I started to keep the cricket keeper inside of a kritter keeper. The crickets would get out of the cricket keeper into the kritter keeper and die from lack of food and water. Now I use an old pretzel container that I burned small holes into for ventilation. No more escapes. Sometimes the fancy stuff just doesnt work all that well. Thanks for the heads up on the breeder box. I was legit just looking on amazon. I might hold off if it allows for cricket escapes.
Absolutely, I think yours is a great idea, I might put the enclosure in a large plastic bin before I feed my T again, to catch escapees. Since my curly hair is so docile and calm I don't think I'd need the window openings, so I'll probably just seal it up for now. I kept couple cricket in a cereal container from the dollar store cuz I only need so few, don't think they'd be able to jump that high lol. Still, since my enclosure is kind of next to my bed the thought of it escaped to my bed is real unsettling, hope all the other spiders in the house catches it soon :) Heard cricket can chew your cloth and papers to survive :grumpy:

achy513

Arachnopeon
OP -- it sounds like you're doing your best and have done all you can at this point. I can understand if you keep checking enclosure to verify that crix was consumed/escaped for T's safety. There isn't much more you can do now but trust your own best judgment.
Good luck with upcoming moult! :)
Thank you! Only did I found out about the changing abdomen after I put a cricket in there overnight. Won't happen again now that I've got a sense of pre-molt period! Like mentioned in my comments, the cricket most likely escaped through a small opening in the enclosure, hope my house spiders catches it soon :)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Thank you! Only did I found out about the changing abdomen after I put a cricket in there overnight. Won't happen again now that I've got a sense of pre-molt period! Like mentioned in my comments, the cricket most likely escaped through a small opening in the enclosure, hope my house spiders catches it soon :)
Up until the actual molt, keep checking the enclosure for the little bar steward, a menace to T society. If you do see the cricket crush the little pest, no holds barred, you don't want the cricket in with your T when it molts, good luck and I hope you find it.