Please help! PetHole lost a leg, and etc!?

Armpit

Arachnosquire
i am going to do ALL of that right now. do you not suggest an ICU right now then? i have her in a small container ready to be moved. im glad i have a stock pile of substrate haha.

all of my tarantulas are kept in my bedroom, which is the quietest room in the house. im only up there to change, and sleep. but my floor is very creaky, and they're on a table - could that be a factor?

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
new home.jpg dawn photoshop.jpg bam.jpg

here are how I configure my premade burrows. either have it going straight vertically down or have it coming through the ground at an angle. as you can see these are three of my haploplemas and they all took to it. the vertical one has wrath my h. lividum

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
i am going to do ALL of that right now. do you not suggest an ICU right now then?
I mean you might want to have some damp paper towels so that their is some humidity in their thats all an ICU really is just a container with moist paper towels surround the temp enclosure. the reason I don't think an ICU is necessary is because ICU are for sick T's. like if they seemed near death I.E shriveled or shrunken abdomen, seem to be in a near death curl or moving odd. I think she is stressed and an ICU is not going to help with her lost leg or bald spot. those won't come back until after she molts.

Armpit

Arachnosquire
great pictures, thank you! and thank you for the advice and information. been mixing substrate, have her in a small container with a damp paper towel in a dark warm part of the room until her place is situated <3

Armpit

Arachnosquire
IMG_0016.jpg

i spent a good deal mixing and spraying until it could pack, but isnt soggy at all. pushed in a starter burrow with a little piece of cork bark, covered some of the vents (not seen is a top vent, covered), and removed roach hiding places. because i found a couple. hiding away like terrible, devious, demon bastard children. im beginning to think i should switch to dubias, as everyone seems to have better luck with them.

i hope this thread at least teaches someone to not make the same mistakes i did. thank you everyone for your amazing help. <3 ill keep you updated if anything should change.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
R: Please help! PetHole lost a leg, and etc!?

How deep.is the premade burrow?
I'd suggest you to make it deep to the bottom of the enclosure...it will help the T to settle down faster...

rob0t

Arachnoknight
Sounds like you need to leave it be. The enclosure looks good to me now. Put it in there and don't even look at it for a few days at least. Constantly messing with it and moving it around is going to do nothing positive for the tarantula.

Armpit

Arachnosquire
the premade burrow is about 6 or 7 inches deep. i put her in, she went right there, gave me a look, and proceeded to go down. she is now on the same shelf as my slings, which is a little quieter and warmer. i wont bother her for several days :) thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited:

Armpit

Arachnosquire
Just thought I would throw in an update:

Everything is going great! She loves her new set up, has been rearranging everything, and finally ate a roach. Every night I see her perched at her burrow opening, and she looks much healthier.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just thought I would throw in an update:

Everything is going great! She loves her new set up, has been rearranging everything, and finally ate a roach. Every night I see her perched at her burrow opening, and she looks much healthier.

Thanks again for all of the help!
I had been watching this thread, but couldn't think of anything substantial to contribute. But I have a few questions:

1) In your original post of 01-25-2013 you state, "I have had this H. lividum for quite some time now, ..." Exactly how long is "quite some time?" I have seen tarantulas do this as they become very old, hence my question.

2) When exactly was her last molt?

3) And, the molt before that?

4) How large is the cage? In your photo of 01-29-2013 it looks immense!

Good to hear it's recovering! Enjoy your little 8-legged banshee!

Armpit

Arachnosquire
Another update: After two months, Beira emerged from her burrow - all ten legs intact :) She molted beautifully, vibrant and deep blues.

---------- Post added 04-30-2013 at 07:56 PM ----------

@Pikaia

1. Sorry, i should have been more clear! I have had her for about a year.

2. She molted roughly 6 months ago.

3. I'm unsure of how long ago her previous molt was, and her previous owner doesnt really know much about her.

4. haha! her cage DOES seem huge, camera tricks. It's really just about 5 gallons. I'm afraid it wasn't the typical ones on tarantulacages.com, but one the guy had at his table that slightly varied from the others. i'm afraid i dont have a measuring tape available at the moment to let you know exact dimensions.

BaddestRuffest

Arachnosquire
I'm glad to hear she molted out fine, they really are the most amazing looking species after molting gotta love those blue legs.