Please help me sex my smithi

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Looks pretty darn female to me.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I think it looks male-ish, but the flash may just be throwing me off.
Here's my confirmed-via-molt female, at the same size as yours it seems:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Tom, I am honestly trying to learn some more about sexing some of the Brachy's. This pic has kind of a funny glare, but I was going to say Male on that one.

What traits led you to deem it was Female?

Joe - CAK

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm mixed opinions, that what i didnt want lol :(

I'm a novice, so don't take my word for it. I'm trying to learn as I gain experience. As Hobo mentioned before my post, it could be the glare of the flash that is thowing the results.

Lets wait and see what kind of responses we get. :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well.. I would guess male off the picture myself.. Maybe if you can get a better picture? Never know it may be a glare as stated..

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree... looks manly.

I find B. smithi often difficult. I have a male B. smithi that I would have sworn was a female ventrally, but low and behold it molts and theres no spermathecae present. It was a bit disappointing given how much I paid for it (sold as unsexed)... live and learn.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I'm pretty confident that the boehmei is female,
The smithi looks more female-ish in these set of pictures than the last. At least, they look a lot like my female.

Fresher

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think maybe i should wait for my smithi to molt once more then it should be a bit more clearer, even tho the last time it molted was like the middle of 2009 :?

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
boehmei is definitely a girl. The smithi, I'm still going to stick with my original thought on being a boy.

Added: Molt is MOST accurate!

Last edited:

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
My mistake.:8o With the new pictures I can see I definitely looked way too fast. Should have kept my mouth shut and stick to just sexing the molts. With my jeweler's loupe I've been able to sex 1.5" molts with 100% accuracy. What my original post should have said was:

"Hey, you know what I do to determine the gender of my tarantulas? I use a jeweler's loupe to get an EXTREME!!! close-up of the molt. Way more accurate, and definitely a lot more fun!:D"

Once again, sorry about that. Thanks for hangin' me out to dry with those two original pics. Just kidding. I'm just going to stay away from the ventral sexing for a bit and stick to my handy little magnifying glass.:eek:

edit: I forgot to say, my 1.5" - 1.75" B. smithi started fasting about 10 or days ago and is starting to get dark and plump. If I am amble to, I'll try to take a picture of the molt through the loupe. You'll be able to see a big difference between a male or female if the pic comes out right. Again, to the OP, my apologies.

Last edited:

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Regarding the Brachypelma smithi:

I'm guessing male too but, really need to inspect exuvium after it molts to be sure.

Here's a good thread to help.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=54718

Brian
Just to add to my original post

Reguarding the Brachypelma boehmei:

I'm guessing female. This is purely based on my ventral sexing ability which is far less accurate than the exuvium sexing ability.

Here's another interesting link when it comes to sexing:

http://www.birdspiders.com/faq_sex.php