Please help me Identify

Tobias

Arachnopeon
Well i've been going through a rough time recently and
i decided to step up and get a spider i've always liked my insects
when i was little i had african snails and stickinsects.

So i walked in to the petshop today and was shown a number of spiders
then i saw her a beautiful blue spider on the top shelf i just had to have her.
I asked the women the name of the species but as i arrived home i sadly forgot all i know is that she said its not for holding due to being a ornamental spider.

So heres she is in her glory at the moment she's only the size of a 50pence peice.

Thanks

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Avicularia versicolor. It wont be blue much longer, but you wont be dissapointed with the new colors. (there is a slight chance it could be A. laeta as well, but its unlikely.)

Later, Tom

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its a not an ornamental spider and is perfectly safe for handling.

Tobias

Arachnopeon
Thank you i hope the new colours will be nice its a shame
she wont be blue for much longer.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not a usually defensive T, just skittish for the most part. I don't recommend holding any tarantulas as they may fall or jump off your hand. If you must, remember to keep low to the floor.

Elsvir

Arachnopeon
Maybe it's just the pictures, but my A. versicolor is around that size and her abdomen is not that color at all.
Does it have pinkish hairs?

Tobias

Arachnopeon
Maybe it's just the pictures, but my A. versicolor is around that size and her abdomen is not that color at all.
Does it have pinkish hairs?
No pink hair's what so ever just a metalic blue colour i'll try get some clear photos with a better camera tomorrow

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
[EDIT] Well if it's blue all over then it's prolly the versi but damned if that doesn't look like a P. irminia ;)

---
I'm thinking P. irminia honestly..

Notice the chevron's on the abdomen..

Last edited:

Tobias

Arachnopeon
Thats a nice looking T but he's not brown he's abit yellow under his body tho.

Well i'll get some clear photos tomorrow and try to
get a decent angle. The blue and white look so nice together
i'm hopeing its not a versi if he'll lose that colour but they look nice to.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was thinking the same thing about P. irminia. Easiest way to tell if you're not familiar w/ both species is to look at the toes. Does it have orange swooshes on the feet or not? Nike swoosh = dead giveaway as a Psalmopoeus. When they're younger the entire 2nd segment from the toe will be white.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is 100% Avicularia versicolor. Its abdomen is changing colors because it is growing and starting to loose its sling colors.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I was thinking the same thing about P. irminia. Easiest way to tell if you're not familiar w/ both species is to look at the toes. Does it have orange swooshes on the feet or not? Nike swoosh = dead giveaway as a Psalmopoeus. When they're younger the entire 2nd segment from the toe will be white.
Woundn't the easy way to tell be that he siad the spider is blue?
Later, Tom

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Woundn't the easy way to tell be that he siad the spider is blue?
Later, Tom
I totally agree Tom but those pics really look like Psalmopoeus from what I could so so I was the one who went that route :)

The blue would give it away with a better picture and depending on lighting and the eye of the beholder blue may be something different.

I would either way love to see better pics, Psalmopoeus or Avicularia :D

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Dont get me wrong, I thought P. irminia at my first glance as well, then I read it. The colors in the pic are not accurate , as the pic is not a blue spider. But if the OP said its blue, then you can rule out Psalmopoeus.

Later, Tom

clowns94

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
[EDIT] Well if it's blue all over then it's prolly the versi but damned if that doesn't look like a P. irminia ;)

---
I'm thinking P. irminia honestly..

Notice the chevron's on the abdomen..

i thought the same thing to

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dont get me wrong, I thought P. irminia at my first glance as well, then I read it. The colors in the pic are not accurate , as the pic is not a blue spider. But if the OP said its blue, then you can rule out Psalmopoeus.

Later, Tom
Agreed.. To a point ;)

Eager to see new pics though too!