Please Help -- High Scorpling Casualties!

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Hiya,

I just checked on my mama Emp scorp and her babies. I've dropped all the way down from about 10 to only 2 left alive.

I don't know what's wrong. Earlier today, there were 5, then 4, now 2. One was just walking around. It seems to be the biggest one. The other is still on her back.

The seem a bit yellower than they were the last time I'd seen the entire group of 10 or so.

Any ideas what might be killing them and what can do to hopefully save the last 2 that are still alive?

This is my first batch of baby scorps and it's sooooo frustrating to lose so
many of them!

Thanks a bunch!

Wysi

Ciryluk3g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have you checked the entire enclosure... if the scorplings are 2nd instar they may have left their mothers back voluntarily?! :confused: The scorps that are yellower will be yellower because they have had their first moult! :)

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
Assuming they are just dead and not being eaten, there are three things I can think of right off the bat: temp, humidity, and mites. Make sure your temps are at least 80 degrees, make sure your humidity is very high, and check the dead ones for mites.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Ciryluk3g said:
Have you checked the entire enclosure... if the scorplings are 2nd instar they may have left their mothers back voluntarily?! :confused: The scorps that are yellower will be yellower because they have had their first moult! :)
yeah, I thought they might have molted, but I haven't found any molts.

I think they were probably eaten, which is annoying, because she had a roach in there to eat. I think she wanted easier targets or something as she did not seem interested in the roach.

I only found about 3 of them and they seemed to be missing stingers or something? I thought maybe they were molts, but I'm not sure. I guess judging by the fact I can only account for the 2 lives ones and 3 partial bodies, she probably ate them, darn it. :(

The other two are on her back again. I'd like to get them out of there, away from her, but if they're on her back, maybe they still need her. Pretty frustrating to lose to many in such a short time. :(

Thanks for your help guys. :)

Wysi

darrelldlc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe if the little ones did molt they could be buried in the substrate. It is a longshot, but they will stay fairly close to the mom yet can be unseen. Did you see any white threadlike stuff anywere near the mom? In my experience the first molt doesn't look like a scorpion at all, only a bunch of really white threads kind of like a big snowflake. It is always hard when scorplings die or are eaten. good luck with them.
Darrell