Please don't be nematodes

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Please tell me this isn't nematodes.... This is the sling I was concerned about a few threads down about not eating. This afternoon it was not like this.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Doesn't look promising...

There's a ton of controversy about nematodes, so I would personally be hesitant to call it that, but it definitely isn't supposed to be there.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It looks like a whole lot of not good whatever it is. It does look like some other Nematode infestations I've seen on here... But it's hard to say.

Regardless you need to get that T the hell away from your others. Like, other end of the house away. You don't want to risk this being Nematodes and having it spread to the rest of your collection.

Aaaaand Joe beat me..... as always. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't know enough to know what it is or isn't... but good luck!

james.m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, thats def no good. Did you recently purchase the little guy? Even if you were to assume it was, there is gonna be little you can do about. I would keep him seperated from the pack and hope for the best. Good luck.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's exactly what our P. ornata looked like when it had nematodes. It could be something else, but I agree that it doesn't look very good. Good luck.

-Cass

DDaake

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When my h. schmidti had this, what seemed to be nemateods, the paste in the mouth was brilliant white and the pedipalps and portions of the legs looked wet, and moving. Yours looks to be a little yellower in color and the same wetness is not seen in your pic. Any more pics?

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The lighting and the camera could have something to do with the color. In any case, it isn't looking too good :( I came across a short article on nematodes in Ts a while back, and there was a photo in it that basically had the exact same appearance.

Here it is: http://www.giantspiders.com/article12.html

Interesting read. Hella sad, but interesting nonetheless.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks kinda like nematodes to me, but a better picture would help. Whatever it is, it isn't good.

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks like nematodes does it keep its pedipalps in front of its mouth all the time, thats what my p. rufilata did when it died of nematodes.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah I'm about 100% sure it's nematodes. I spent a good half hour looking right at the mouth region. I observed movement of the 'white substance'. It's glob like so It's almost surely nematodes.

Palps are just hanging in front of its mouth, constantly trying to clean itself... poor thing. I will euthanize unless anyone has any alternative ideas to what it might be. I'd hate it to suffer a lengthy death.

Questions:
How quickly does a nematode infestation set in?
Does it come from food?

I've only had the sling since the 16th of September and got it from a reputable dealer. I've fed crickets from a single vendor prior to the only molt I've witnessed.

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
here are a few things you might try before putting the poor little thing down. I found the ideas on a plant forum so they might not work.

1.) Use sugar or sugar water. it is supposed to make them explode. i don't know what adverse effects that would have on the T, but that is one idea.

2.) sesame grind. I don't know what it does to them, but it might work.

3.) raise the temp a lot. I don't know how much, maybe a little over the max temp of that sp. for a little while each day or every couple hours and then let the temp go back down. *edit* or try lowering the temps really low.

4.) Chitin or shellfish waste. bacteria is attracted to the chitin that eats nematodes.

Hope this helps. Who knows could save the little guys life.

This is the site I got it from. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flgard/msg091232197741.html

Last edited:

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The problem with trying to flush or clean is that it's mouth is so small still. I don't think I could reasonably clean the mouth without killing the poor thing. Not to mention there is nothing to really hold on to while cleaning, it would certainly scramble free.

Too bummed!

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Take a small water dish with water and sugar in it like the last post said, then drop the spiderling in? They can swim cant they? I cant see that killing the spiderling.
I'd wait for input from more experienced keepers first though.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what about sticking the t in the fridge for a bit so it won't bit you. Turn the little guy upside down and picking them out with tweazers and flushing the rest out with a little eye dropper or something. Worth a shot rather than watching helplessly. Change your substrate and get it away from the rest of your animals and t's.

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Take a small water dish with water and sugar in it like the last post said, then drop the spiderling in? They can swim cant they? I cant see that killing the spiderling.
I'd wait for input from more experienced keepers first though.
This is what i would do if the T was small. From what i know most Ts can swim. Some can swim quite well in fact. Point is, is that it won't drown and you will give it a dunk in nematode killer. You have nothing to loose, try it out and let us know.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would be very worried about the sucrose in the sugar getting into it's book lungs and drying/crystallizing.

I know you have very little options but I don't think a 'dunk' in sugar water, unless you can get just it's infected area, is a good idea.

Possibly a sugar water drip from an eyedropper right near the fangs so as to isolate the target area?

Sorry about all this and wish you and the T the best of luck with anything you try mate!

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Soo... since I had nothing to lose I tried a salt solution.

I placed the sling in the fridge for approximately 1hr during which it became very slow. After I took it out, flipped it over and noticed there was VERY little, if any, white residue on the slings underside. Regardless, I dribbled the salt solution on the mouth, chelicerae and around the carapace (avoiding the book lungs). I did a VERY slight bit of scraping on the chelicerae. It was quickly becoming active after 3minutes. It's now in a full ICU with nothing more than damp paper towels. I will repeat this action tomorrow, swapping out ICUs, if it makes it through the night.

I know the issue is that the nematodes are internal as well but with any hope maybe something will work... who knows.

I will advise.