planning for power outages.

white_feather

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not enough funds yet to get a generator. I told my boss that he wears hhis ass as a hat and now I am unemployed so I must wait another couple of weeks.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First I would put all of my Ts into vials and deli cups. These would all go into styro boxes. Putting a couple of heat pacs in there and your good. I have shipped 30 P.met slings from Winnipeg to Montreal in -30c weather this way so I know it works. As long as you have more heat pacs, I think this could work for a couple of weeks.

white_feather

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What about the burrowers? Would you dig up their burrows? That is what I am trying to decide.

samsbugs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, dig them up if you want to save them, they will create another burrow later.
I am from Ohio (Geneva) originally and the cold their sucks, (thats why I'm in Arizona) not as bad as other places.
The heat pack idea with styro. boxes, or the generator seem to be the most fool proof.
Water can cool off quite fast, being hot steam may settle in to cages and frost if your a few minutes late.
A generator in good working order will run indefinately with proper fuel supply.
Heat packs are quite good use more than 1 or 2 a small chance of having a dud, you can always wait to see if it warms up first, like you do when shipping.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live in AZ too but at a higher elevation than Phoenix which means colder night temperatures. I am planning for the worst, two or three (or more) days without power. I know if I am to stay and take care of my T's I will need warmth too. I am extremely fortunately in that a guest room I have uses gas for heat. Easy fix, we all move in there.

I would go with your first idea with the bath heater for short emergencies. Whatever you use keep in mind you might have to be there too and will need heat and food yourself. Does it flood in your area of Ohio? Might be good for all of us to consider alternative plans ahead of time for any emergency we might encounter.