Pit Bulls

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I adopted a one year old APBT from the pound about 2 months ago and I wanted to know if anyone here has experience with them. My primary concern is training. She's extremely smart and learns new commands with ease, but only demonstrates her training when it's profitable for her. In other words she's a little bull-headed. We're also having a little trouble with mouthing. Her bite-inhibition is great--she doesn't hurt when she plays--but it's annoying and stressful for people with dog phobias.

Finally, my biggest concern with getting a pit (believe me I never expected to fall in love with this breed) was human aggression. I have since learned that pits are perhaps the least human aggressive breed on the planet, which is why it is so easy to steal them from back yards. The problem is that she doesn't even bark when a stranger enters the house, so I'm worried she wouldn't respond if I were in real danger. Now I'm sure she'd protect me if I were directly attacked, but we've had 3 robberies at knife-point in the last month on our block. Would she do anything other than look scary and wag her tail? Don't get me wrong, the last thing I want is a guard dog. This is a pet, not a weapon. I'd just like to think I'm a little safer having her around.

Thanks for any and all info.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've owned APBT's for around 20 years, even developing my own bloodlines, before I had to quit breeding them due to the threat of people stealing my dogs. Around here, people will even break into houses to steal dogs that they even think MIGHT be Pits, and that's included such off-the-wall breeds as Boston Terriers! Yes, Pits ARE the most-frequently stolen breed in this country, and that is because NORMAL Pit Bull temperament does not even differentiate between strangers and family members. This is certainly NOT a good choice for a guardian breed! There are many nasty dogs out there that are called "pit bulls", many of which are just big mongrels, and of course, many Mastiff-type breeds, such as American Bulldogs, Cane Corsos, etc, which ARE bred to be guard dogs, are often confused with APBT's. I cannot say just how your girl would react to you actually being threatened; I never had a chance to find out with any of mine. All I know if, they were useless for protecting property, and were just as apt to end up stolen as anything else I owned. Still, many people needlessly fear the breed, and you might end up catching some flak from people you meet because of her. Also, be prepared to deal with thugs and punks who will approach you about fighting her, as this, sadly, is inevitable, especially where you live. I find it so ironic that the very people who seek out Pits to make them vicious and abuse them are absolutely TERRIFIED of my Catahoula Leopard Dogs,another stocky breed which has been mistaken for a Pit on more than one occasion, but which is very stranger-aggressive.

This breed, like all terriers, can be stubborn. Obedience training is a MUST. I have found that attaching a long line(like what they use in training horses)to a choke collar can be useful, since it lets them know that you CAN get ahold of them when you want them to do something, but never leave a choke collar on a dog unattended! The best way to deal with the mouthiness, which again, is normal, is to channel it towards something else, a chew toy of some sort. These dogs love to carry things around in their mouths, and are often crazy over toys. When you are sitting with the dog, have a toy to offer her if she starts mouthing on you. Oddly enough, insect repellent containing DEET is a remarkable deterent for mouthy dogs, too, since it tastes AWFUL! It won't hurt the dog, either-just causes 'em to make faces for awhile!

pitbulllady

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, They ARE

Big Dragonfly said:
Are boxers often mistaken for pitbulls and stollen?

Around here, at least, Boxers ARE often mistaken for Pit Bulls and stolen, or the people just figure that Boxers are fighters, too. Either way, they are often the targets of dog thieves. In areas that enact Breed-Specific Legistlation against Pit Bulls, Boxers are also often taken away and impounded or even euthanized by animal control or law enforcement officers who can't tell the difference, and Boxer mixes are even more likely to be killed. A Boxer x Lab mix DOES look an awful lot like a Pit Bull, as will a Boxer x Dalmatian. I've been fooled by both, and I'm a long-time Pit breeder! Heck, you know if somebody can mistake a BOSTON TERRIER or a Jack Russell for a Pit Bull, they'll steal a Boxer!

pitbulllady

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. I'll try the deet (although vinegar seems safer, doesn't it?)

As for the guard dog issue, a guard dog is the last thing I want. People come and go in my house, so territorial behavior was something I shyed away from in selecting my adoptee. It's just that, like I said, with all the robberies that have gone on here lately I'd like to think that if push came to shove I'd be in good hands. My old lakeland terrier was more protective of me than this pit.

Again, thanks for the info. Anything else you can offer would be great.

Also, do they tend to calm down when they're older, or should I expect this (occasionally destructive) energy for a lifetime? I run her every day (or if it's raining we do obedience training for an hour or so). But at night she gets rammy and occasionally knocks stuff over.

Best,
Chris

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Females usually calm down at around 3-4 years of age, but males tend to stay "perpetual puppies" when it comes to immature behavior like chewing, crying, etc. Crate training is pretty much essential, since they do often tend to get "wound up" at certain times of the day, to let off that energy, and are like the proverbial "bull in a China shop" when they do! I tend to think of Pits as "ADD kids", since that's what they act like. Their attentiion spans are about 2 seconds long, if that! People tend to forget that they ARE terriers, and terriers are notorious for this sort of behavior, only most terrier breeds are small, so it just seems cute. In a 40-65 lb. dog, it can be a nuisance, to say the least! Another thing I found effective in at least getting their attention is a water spray bottle, since I have found that most Pits(though there are exceptions)HATE to be sprayed with water, or to get water on them in any way, shape or form, or step in water-they are a lot like cats in this respect! It will probably hurt her feelings to squirt her with water, but it will most likely teach her what is and what is not acceptible, if the sqirt is accompanied by a loud, "NO!"
Again, I honestly cannot vouch for this dog defending you if you were attacked. I never have had the opportunity to find out if any of mine would, but with most, I'd seriously doubt it. They would most likely think it was a game of some sort. The fact that it's a Pit Bull MIGHT deter some people, but others might actually attack you in order to take the dog, since they can sell her, which makes her just as valuable as jewelry, etc., in the eyes of a mugger. They won't know she is spayed and cannot be bred; one of the dogs I had stolen was my 11-year-old blue foundation bitch, who also had recently been spayed, along with one of her adult daughters, two granddaughters, and four great-grandsons-four generations gone in one day.

pitbulllady

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, that's an aweful loss. Did you breed exclusively "blue" pits? Mine is fawn and white, about 55 lbs. She looks like pictures online of "game-bred" pits, not the block-headed, extremely large chested "show pits." Are their any pictures of your line online?

Chris

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm dying to see a photo of your pup, Reitz. PBL's info has been right on the mark regarding the breed. I have never raised an APBT but I have extensive experience with bull terriers, their compulsive cousins. Here's kilo in his usual pose these days...

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I Had Other Colors, Too

Reitz said:
Wow, that's an aweful loss. Did you breed exclusively "blue" pits? Mine is fawn and white, about 55 lbs. She looks like pictures online of "game-bred" pits, not the block-headed, extremely large chested "show pits." Are their any pictures of your line online?

Chris
They weren't all blue. Breeding dilute to dilute for several generations is a good way to wind up with dogs that have all sorts of skin problems, so it isn't recommended. I used to get lots of blacks, reds, blues, blue-fawns, and chocolate red-nosed dogs. My dogs weren't "extreme" in type one way or another, neither overly "terrier type" nor very "bulldoggy". I know what you mean about many of the show dogs being TOO stocky and broad, and losing all the stamina and agility, too. Mine were bred primarily as wild boar catch dogs, so they had to be very agile and quick! Unfortunately, I don't have any pics online anywhere.

pitbulllady

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with pit's having a bad reputation. My parents have a pit (umm..he's kinda redish and white) and he's a sweet loveable dog. I really couldn't tell you anything about the guard dog thing though, as I don't really have any long term experience with pits, since my parents got the pit after I moved out.

If somebody tried to break in the house he probably wouldn't do anything (he's acutally an outside dog). However, I would not want to be the person trying to get in, as there are two akita's inside. :)

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like to think that if anyone were ever stupid enough to break in here, Kilo would at least annoy them long enough for me to reach under my pillow and retrieve the glock.

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Please don't get me wrong, the last thing I want is a guard dog. The landlord is fixing stuff in our house all the time. If she didn't like strangers we'd have a big problem. Like I said, the first requirement was that she be friendly with everyone. It's just that with all the attacks lately I wanted to know if, in anyone's experience, pits "get tough" when the tough get going.

Again, thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming please. And I'll post pics for those who may be interested (she's a supermodel).

Best,
Chris

JeffG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Growing up my brother had a pit. She was the sweetest girl in the world. A really great dog with a really great attitude. I love bully breeds. When it was time to move out and start college i wanted a dog i could take to my apartment with me, i did research for awhile and found another bully breed i loved. My boston!

Back on topic though. They are great dogs, very intelligent and loving. Good luck with her!

Attachments

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pitbulllady said:
Around here, at least, Boxers ARE often mistaken for Pit Bulls and stolen, or the people just figure that Boxers are fighters, too. Either way, they are often the targets of dog thieves. In areas that enact Breed-Specific Legistlation against Pit Bulls, Boxers are also often taken away and impounded or even euthanized by animal control or law enforcement officers who can't tell the difference, and Boxer mixes are even more likely to be killed. A Boxer x Lab mix DOES look an awful lot like a Pit Bull, as will a Boxer x Dalmatian. I've been fooled by both, and I'm a long-time Pit breeder! Heck, you know if somebody can mistake a BOSTON TERRIER or a Jack Russell for a Pit Bull, they'll steal a Boxer!

pitbulllady
Or they steal a sparring partner for their fighting dogs.

/Lelle

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Reitz said:
It's just that with all the attacks lately I wanted to know if, in anyone's experience, pits "get tough" when the tough get going.
I´d say it depends on the breed (or strain) of your dog. Some guard dog breeds back off from a attacker, some bite his balls off. Depends totally on where your dog comes from (and offcourse training). But afaik pits dont usually back down when its gets rough. Here in Sweden its possible to do a psychological test on your dog, stressful and attack situations are simulated. Maybe you got a similar test there.

/Lelle

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We do, in fact, have the American Temperament Test, developed to test the mental and emotional stability of dogs. On average, 84% of American Pit Bull Terriers/Staffordshire Terriers PASS, which is a lot higher than the percentages for most other breeds, including many thought to be "harmless". Of those that fail, it is mostly due to dog aggression, which is to be expected in a breed originally developed to fight other dogs. It is possible to make ANY dog vicious, and if some of you could just hear the accounts told by my Middle School students of the things they do to their Pits to make them mean, you wouldn't be able to sleep at night! They don't even think of dogs as living, feeling creatures at all, just as tools to achieve thier macho reputation and to get in good standings with whatever gang they're trying to join. They have absolutely no compassion for other living things, humans included, and cannot fathom having a dog as a pet or companion and NOT fighting it! When people like this get ahold of ANY breed, trouble is bound to ensue, but getting rid of the dogs isnt' the problem, since they'll just get some other breed. This is the same type of person who, back in the '70's, would have HAD to had a Doberman, and a decade before that, a German Shepherd. Now, it has to be either a Pit(or what they try to pass off as a Pit)or a Rottweiler. Take those breeds away, and what will it be next? Akitas? Caucasian Ovtcharkas? South African Boerbels? Some newly-concocted "breed"? There are breeds that I, as a Pit Bull breeder, am leary of, since I know what will happen as soon as they get into the wrong hands; heck, my own Catahoula Leopard Dogs are one of those breeds! All it takes is for the gang-bangers and thugs and drug dealers to discover them, and it won't be long before they will be among the growing list of banned breeds in this and many other countries. Where will it end, when ALL dogs are banned, as in Communist China?

pitbulllady

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
PBlady, agree on all you wrote here. The test result are very high on passed pb´s here aswell.
What many here do is cross pb with for ex rottweiler and get a stamina and gameness of a pit and a guard mentality as a rottweiler. Thats very bad. If this dog then bite someone its labeled 'pitbull'...
Here pitbulls are illegal to import, very bad cos that creates inbreeding of bad strains and that combined with stupid morons who owns them results in more accidents.
I hope the hiphop video artists start to keep beagles in their videos ;-)

/Lelle

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
PBlady, agree on all you wrote here. The test result are very high on passed pb´s here aswell.
What many here do is cross pb with for ex rottweiler and get a stamina and gameness of a pit and a guard mentality as a rottweiler. Thats very bad. If this dog then bite someone its labeled 'pitbull'...
Here pitbulls are illegal to import, very bad cos that creates inbreeding of bad strains and that combined with stupid morons who owns them results in more accidents.
I hope the hiphop video artists start to keep beagles in their videos ;-)

/Lelle

I swear, I laughed so hard when I read this, and got such an outrageous "visual", that I nearly choked on my Mt. Dew! Just the image of a tough, gansta rapper with a Beagle, or better yet, a Chihuahua, is enough to make my sides hurt! I agree with you 100%, though; it's the same way here-ANY dog which bites, attacks(and a "bite" and an "attack" are NOT the same thing), growls, etc., is automatically labeled a "Pit Bull". That's why statistics on dog bites and dog attacks aren't reliable, since often the breed is given either by the victim or the law enforcement officer responding, and it is very easy, as I've said, to mistake even dogs with no Pit in them whatsoever for a Pit Bull.

pitbulllady

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pitbulllady said:
I swear, I laughed so hard when I read this, and got such an outrageous "visual", that I nearly choked on my Mt. Dew! Just the image of a tough, gansta rapper with a Beagle, or better yet, a Chihuahua, is enough to make my sides hurt! I agree with you 100%, though; it's the same way here-ANY dog which bites, attacks(and a "bite" and an "attack" are NOT the same thing), growls, etc., is automatically labeled a "Pit Bull". That's why statistics on dog bites and dog attacks aren't reliable, since often the breed is given either by the victim or the law enforcement officer responding, and it is very easy, as I've said, to mistake even dogs with no Pit in them whatsoever for a Pit Bull.

pitbulllady
LOL That would be something, a yapping chihuahua...The rapper holding on to the leach for dear life while the chihuahua is making a go for it LOL
The strangest thing is American Staffordshire Terriers are recognized as a breed here (pb are not) and its perfectly ok to keep them and take em to shows (if you are into that) etc. Its basically the same dog as a pb!

/Lelle