Pisaura mirabilis

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
AKA the Nursy Web spider.

I am enjoying my nice three month vacation to bautzen germany. and Of course have immediatly began capturing and catologing the local species. and for the longstime a wild spiderling I caught refused to be ID! well now it has reached a size to be able to be ID'd. and it is a Pisaura mirabilis. Also today i caught what I believe to be a full grown female.

this species thus far has been very intresting; One of the most docile true spiders I have come accross. they seem to build an odd little tent retreat in an aboreal area of their tank. and simply wait for prey (but dont let their passive sluggishness trick you, they can be lightning fast when they want)

thus far the little one is growing happily in his jar, the adult female is setting in. and I believe I have the husbandry for these little fellas down, but does anyone else have experiance with them?

Juvie:
was found in dry leaf decay beneath the porch, taken into a tal peanut butter jar with dried plant stalks to build upon (it did happily)
adult is in same situation located in a field of long grass seen scampering away from my foot-kept same way with larger jar, the juvie has gone through 3 molts with me, all successful without misting however am considering begining to give a light mist as it has been quite rainy here. Prey ranges from flies to small grasshopers crickets and mealworms. fed the juvie once every three days. now expanding to a week as it is about mid size.

No substrate as they are aboreal. moisture levels are the same as places of capture.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They really are great spiders, definitely my favorite UK species :)
Heres some photo`s of the ones i find around the back of my house, they seem highly variable in colour :)

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They seem to vary about as much as the ones here. I am actualy spectating if the colour changes per molt according to enviroment. the juvi I had went from orange to a grey of his new habitat within one molt. may just be him getting closer to adult hood. not sure. I am strugging to get my gfs camera working so I can begin snapping pics of the various ones I've encountered but yes. so far this has got to be the most pleasent species I've encountered.. almost cuddly spiders 0.0

PS: great site! Should be handy in pinning down ids :)

Last edited: