pinky mice

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it best to feed T's dead pinkies or live ones, wouldent they much prefer live ones or can they smell the dead ones?

thx for replies

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I tried to feed my seemani a dead one.....I held onto it with forcepts and wiggled it about.....the seemani kept stroking it with its legs but never ate it. Ive heard of them eating F/T mice just fine. Im hoping the T. blondi Im getting will take a F/T mouse.. I hope I hope...I just feel so bad for the live ones. LOL
Michelle

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ya, i dont think i could feed a live one, its very crewl, i feel a bit better if there dead when i get them

MyRoseHairedJoy

Arachnopeon
I just fed my Rose about ten minutes ago. I fed her a small, live fuzzy. I know what you mean by feeling bad about doing it, but at the same time...there is a food chain, and the pet store I went to only had live ones. I generally feed her live crickets though. The part that really made me feel bad was to hear the fuzzy "scream" as Rosey bit into it. Then seeing it struggle. I felt kinda bad...but I generally stay away from feeding her fuzzies or pinkies.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OldHag said:
Im hoping the T. blondi Im getting will take a F/T mouse.. I hope I hope...I just feel so bad for the live ones. LOL
Michelle
I fed my T. blondi a live mouse two days ago. The venom, as I observed, was quite powerful and basically paralyzed the mouse in two minutes.

IMO, they go through more pain/suffering in the freezer, as they dont die for sometimes over an hour.

I would go with live. They cant hurt the blondi at all, and they go through less trouble. The poor thing didnt know what hit it.

Last edited:

TheGreenMachine

Arachnopeon
scorpio said:
I fed my mouse a live mouse two days ago. The venom, as I observed, was quite powerful and basically paralyzed the mouse in two minutes.

IMO, they go through more pain/suffering in the freezer, as they dont die for sometimes over an hour.

I would go with live. They cant hurt the blondi at all, and they go through less trouble. The poor thing didnt know what hit it.

Wow, I didnt know mice had venom and were cannibalistic. :}

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
TheGreenMachine said:

LOL funny

I feed mine frozen ones with no problems

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
I can't get mine to take the dead mice... they only want it if it is alive and wiggling :D

As for feeling sorry for them, aren't these the same animals that you set out traps and poisoned bait for in your house:?

FelixA9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Red Queen said:
I can't get mine to take the dead mice... they only want it if it is alive and wiggling :D

As for feeling sorry for them, aren't these the same animals that you set out traps and poisoned bait for in your house:?

Yeah, and people don't seem to have problems with cats doing their thing to mice. Toss it around, give it a chew or two to make it run, swat it a few times, oops, broke it's back and now it won't run, then leave it to die a slow painful death. "But it's so cute". Yeah.

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you wickel the f/t pinkies infront of it, it won't eat it, but strike it in defense instead. I fed my rosie a f/t fuzzy before and she strik at it when I wickle it infront of her. So I left it infront of her hideaway, and about 15-30 later she started to eat eat it.

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
Aragorn said:
If you wickel the f/t pinkies infront of it, it won't eat it, but strike it in defense instead. I fed my rosie a f/t fuzzy before and she strik at it when I wickle it infront of her. So I left it infront of her hideaway, and about 15-30 later she started to eat eat it.
I've tried this trick with mine... it won't work :(

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lmao i couldent stop laughing when i just read that post "i fed my mouse a live mouse" LOL, u made my day dude (i know what u meant to say)

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I often feed my Ts rat pinkies (I breed them for my snakes). All off them take them readily but only if they are alive. I tried on a few occasions giving them a freshly killed or thawed out one but none of my Ts took it...

Pixie

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
TheGreenMachine said:
Wasnt that a nice typo :rolleyes:

I laughed out loud as well, which I rarely do for some reason.

I meant T. blondi.

Mice are cannabalistic, but we wont go there right now...

TheGreenMachine

Arachnopeon
I looped some thread around a live pinkie and lowered him infront of my E. murinus's burrow and she snached him within 1 second. The pinkie squeaked once, i think it was dead within a few seconds so I didn't feel to bad for it.

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My T blondi (which is the newest addition to my collection) had NO problems excepting a thawed rat pinky. I held it in front of the hide, dropped it about 2 inches off the dirt and out he came in a flash! Grabbed it without even a "Thank you" and devoured the whole thing in 30 minutes. I was gonna put in a live one but after my G aureostriata accidently fanged one the wrong way, it squeaked for a long time before it died. I just didn't want to have to hear that again. It was too much suffering for the little guy even for a rodent :(

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed my A. geniculata, L.parahybana and L.cristata live pinkies....My large 6 to 7 inch P.regalis just loves live anoles but wont touch pinkies...my other smaller T.s just get crix for now... :}

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Just by 2p worth here but iv found all the big SA guys will take them live f/k f/t as a rule any way they come if they will only take live (this applies to insect prey too) then the's a good chance there not all that hungry, but the movement is setting off feeding reponse (like a fox in a hen house)

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
I breed mice so as to have fresh pinkies for my tarantulas. (Tank on the floor makes great Cat TV for my five.) Most of my Ts love live pinkies, excepting the B. smithis, which tend to run away and stand in a far corner until I remove the offending creatures. B. smithis seem to prefer mealworms for their treat. Other Brachys - emilia, angustum, pallidum, vagans - love pinkies. And the Chilobrachys sp. Asian Smoky, C. brachycephalus, A. seemanni, Pterror Usumbara, and my beloved P. cancerides all think live pinkies are great. Not much luck giving pinkies to G. rosea, but then she is currently on a diet of air...

I did try freezing the pinkies once, and that was much worse than a quick tarantula bite. I could see that the pinkies had tried to crawl away... Sometimes a few squeaks when the T hits, but doesn't last long. Seems much more kind than freezing. Others have said there are safe, humane ways to kill the pinkies before freezing, but I haven't tried those.

In a pinch I've fed tiny bits of raw beef heart to slings, and they seemed to enjoy. I just leave it in the container, take out any remains the next day. They always seem able to find it, even the ones in larger-than-recommended containers.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
TheGreenMachine said:
Not to fall off topic, but they are actually. Kinda freaky looking.