Pinkies on a plate?

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I fed one of my Chacos a pinkie yesterday and it ate readily. The other one wouldn't even touch it, the same with my P cancerides, wouldn't touch it. I felt bad cause the little mice was rolling around in the dirt plus I didn't want my Ts food getting all dirty (yeah, I'm weird). So I cleaned them off and I put it in a plastic lid to one of my medium sized beanie baby cases. Kind of like putting it on a plate. This morning the pinkies were gone.
Does anyone else put them on a "plate" for thier Ts? Or am I just being the weird one. They seem to prefer it this way, at least with my P cancerides.
In one, I laid the pinkie in some green moss (I felt sorry for it being cold and naked). When I looked at afterward I thought, "Wow, looks like a steak with a side salad"=D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have no idea if they would prefer it on a plate... however, have you ever been able to feed dead food to your t's?

WULF03

Arachnopeon
I put a male and female chaco togather last night.They were getting kinda close befor I fell asleep.When I finally woke back up,she was finishing off his small body!Next time I will try not to fall asleep when I put a pair togather.Anyways I belive they did mate.
By the way my large female eats anything I give her.What a little beast!

Hallidaykill55

Arachnopeon
interesting.

I have had very different luck with myt H. albostriatum. the first time that I introduced them, he tried to tap her out of her burrow and got half way down before she finally grew tired of him and removed one of his palps and his first leg. So I pulled him out and felt so bad for the poor bugger. I let him recoup for about a week and then just three days ago I put him back in her cage thinking that he would at the very least make a good meal for her. Well, I check on him, as I do all of my spiders, about two to three times a day, and he is still in there and goin strong. In fact, he has nestled in at the entrance of her burrow!!! He has constructed a web and everything. Been sittin there for at least 48 hrs and no sign of her. I'm surprised because it is a knew burrow and she has been engaged in an immense earth moving project. I would have expected her to have come out and whooped his a@# by now. I'm bloody well baffled!!! If anyone has any info let me know.

WULF03

Arachnopeon
The chaco male is the first one I have lost.I have a pair of P.fasciata and a pair of P.regalis both of which have been togather for a few months.I also have a pair of Brazilian Salmon Pink that have been togather for a few days.I just make sure everyone is fed really good and let them do there own thing.I do remove if I see a really aggressive female or they happen to be high $$$ spiders.

Hallidaykill55

Arachnopeon
Yup.

Well as I've said many times before, "I'm no expert". Hoewever, I have learned from extended correspondence with many who have much greater experience than I, that many, not all mind you, but most arboreal species seem to demonstrate less copulative aggression than many of the terrestrial species. Of course, this is not, by any means, definitive. I am still baffled by the behavior that I have observed in my H.albostriatum though

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't tried feeding prekilled pinkies yet. This is the first time I've fed pinkies successfully. The first time I tried to feed pinkies, the Ts (P cancerides) ignored them and I had to take them out. I ended up giving them to my rat who nurtured them for a short time before gobbling them up herself. At least they weren't wasted:D :rolleyes:

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd just like to know how this thread went from feeding methods to mating/feasting rituals??:)

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Um..., I guess the male getting eaten could be a feeding method? If you put him on a plate first!=D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is the only way I feed them so that they can't burrow and turn into dangerous black beatles. (dangerous to the T)

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feed pinkies to alot of my Ts, I have a large female Chaco that wont take crickets, so she gets pinkies all the time. She will take live ones right off my forceps, same with thawed. Only my "longipedum" and smaller female Chaco wont take them. One thing you might try besides the plate is, and this is gonna sound funny, putting the pinkie in with your crickets for a couple hours. It worked for my seemanni who wouldnt touch the pinkie before that.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Herp keepers have long been familiar with the technique of "scenting" a prey item with something else (most common case scenting rodents with lizard or frog skin) to get a reluctant feedre to take it.

This sounds grusome, but sometimes splitting a pinky's head open will entice a snake to strike once it smells the fluid. Not sure if a T has any sense of smell or taste so to speak but it might be worth a shot. Similarly scenting a mouse with crickets or rubbnig it with cricket guts could get a T to take it. after a few times taking scented prey it should get used to the idea that mice are yummy and not need to be 'tricked' anymore

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok, I picked up an anole today and will try feeding that to my t blondi. How long do you think that I can leave it in there with her?

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
how long's the anole?

From my experience with anoles they're chicken, wont try to chew on something much larger than they are (unlike crickets!)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Diane S
"Wow, looks like a steak with a side salad"=D

LOLOLOLOL

Peace, light & eternal love...
Gillian

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Malkavian
how long's the anole?

From my experience with anoles they're chicken, wont try to chew on something much larger than they are (unlike crickets!)
without the tail about three inches, with the tail about 6?
I don't even think my blondi has noticed its in there, they are all in the scaxt same position I left them in last night...
Time will tell!

spiff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i fed my haplopelmas anoles a couple times. they seemed to like them. the rosie liked them too.

house geckos are another good feeder. they have more meat than the anole, and have really cool eyes.

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anoles are expensive meals though! They cost $10 a piece and they look like they hardly have any meat to them at all. I'm gonna wait till it gets warm out and get me some little pond frogs or tadpoles:D