pinhead crickets

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i woke up to find a bunch of pin head crickets that have or are hatching out in my A genics cage and doing the suicide thing with water bowls that crickets do is there an easy way to catch em all out outta her cage? i would like to grow some of them a little bigger to feed em to 2 slings i got recently

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Honestly your best option would be change out the substrate. You could pick out some crickets from the old sub, but you really shouldn't have loose crickets of any size in with your T (aside from feeding obviously). There's just too much of a risk that they'll munch on the T when it's molting and vulnerable

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Yep - dump all the old substrate then clean the enclosure thoroughly, that's the easiest, most fool proof way of getting rid. You could let the enclosure dry out for 1-2 weeks, A. geniculata are pretty bullet proof so that would not be a problem for it - depending on size/age.

A quick tip - if you have crickets with a *proboscis these are female and should be fed off first, that's if your A. genic is typical of the genus. It'll munch all the females first - problem no more!
*Ovipositor

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
If the tarantula isn't due a moult you're fine to catch them.

Place a dish in the substrate. Something about 2 inch deep or more. Sink it right in. Put a little piece of fruit in. Every couple of hours tip out the crickets.

I don't think they'd be able to hurt a moulting tarantula but they could crawl on it and cause stress.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
haha i decided to use a plastic spoon to scoop a few out into some deli cups when my ghetto booty girl nailed the spoon so i ended up with a disgruntled and disappointed A genic walking away kicking hairs as she went back to her hide

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
haha they all gone now thx to @basin79 for that trap idea was able to trap out a bunch of em before my control tower got home from work then had her dump all the eco dirt out for me :smug:except now just gona be cleaning out my genics water dish twice a day for a few days now since she likes to dump into her water dish everytime i have changed the dirt or rehoused or basicly cleaned or messed with her cage in any way she lets me know she is not happy haha why must females make life difficult:(

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
everytime i have changed the dirt or rehoused
Absent a problem (such as excessive mold or infestations of a potential pest), you don't need to periodically change the substrate. Spot cleaning should be adequate.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Absent a problem (such as excessive mold or infestations of a potential pest), you don't need to periodically change the substrate. Spot cleaning should be adequate.
i had one of those log hides for her that that started molding badly and spreading all over the glass tank now she gots a sterlite box with plenty of vent holes on the side and top and a 2 inch pvc cross section pipe as her hide