pictures of pitfall traps?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i know it is pretty much too late in the season to try anything, but for next spring, i was going to set up some pitfall traps. could some people post some pics of 1) the traps they used 2) what they got in the traps, and 3) what they used as bait (i've heard of several different things, depending on what you're shooting for).

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
someone pointed out that it is illegal to pit trap for most verts and that you might have a hard time convincing a wildlife marshal that you are just trying to catch bugs

that being said, i used smooth sided containers ranging from about 8oz to like 64 oz.

eventually i liked the smaller containers cuz it was a pain digging in the sandy substrate to place the larger ones

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
someone pointed out that it is illegal to pit trap for most verts and that you might have a hard time convincing a wildlife marshal that you are just trying to catch bugs

that being said, i used smooth sided containers ranging from about 8oz to like 64 oz.

eventually i liked the smaller containers cuz it was a pain digging in the sandy substrate to place the larger ones
hmmm, good advice caco! do you think you can supply any pics?

scolex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Survivorman on the discovery channel made some when he was in Africa Hot air ballon show I think. He got like 3-4 scorps. Ate them all.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hmmm, good advice caco! do you think you can supply any pics?
it was honestly just a bunch of water bottles and tupperware. i picked some that had like, overhanging edges to their openings to hopefully keep something in

ironically, aside from ants and maybe a tiny beetle or two the only trap i caught anything in had a scorpion (which i expected, cuz i laid the trap at the enterance to its' burrow, basically) AND A TIGER CENTIPEDE! a little guy... but it still cracks me up

a couple few ppl took pics, i will see if i can find them