Picky Dubias won’t eat?

444 critters

Arachnosquire
How reliable are the vivosun heat mats? I was thinking of getting some for my colonies but I've heard complaints of technical issues. bad readings, short circuits, etc from crappy Chinese ones. These look much higher quality, so have you had any problems with them?
I have had zero issues. I currently have 3 dubia colonies of roaches with heat mats and 2 hisser colonies with heat mats, and 1 colony without (red runners without) I have had 2 colonies with a heat mat for over 2 years now, with zero issues. The thermostat works great and is accurate. I have crossed checked my temps with other thermometers aswell. I like them so much, i even use a vivosun in a mini fridge to keep my bearded dragon eggs incubated.. 20240302_125712.jpg 20240302_125738.jpg

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
I have had zero issues. I currently have 3 dubia colonies of roaches with heat mats and 2 hisser colonies with heat mats, and 1 colony without (red runners without) I have had 2 colonies with a heat mat for over 2 years now, with zero issues. The thermostat works great and is accurate. I have crossed checked my temps with other thermometers aswell. I like them so much, i even use a vivosun in a mini fridge to keep my bearded dragon eggs incubated.. View attachment 468018 View attachment 468019
Wow, very impressive! I'm gonna order a few for my colonies then. They have a sale right now.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, everytime I buy, I grab 2 at a time, it's a better deal. Haha
Thermostat says 90 but the heat mat doesn’t really feel that hot to touch. But it must be working if the roaches are swarming it . How do you place them?
It’s on the side of the container I can get pics.
Are Regular mealworms any good as a cc or just wait til I can buy the three species that are popular for it ?

Last edited:

444 critters

Arachnosquire
Thermostat says 90 but the heat mat doesn’t really feel that hot to touch. But it must be working if the roaches are swarming it . How do you place them?
Are Regular mealworms any good as a cc or just wait til I can buy the three species that are popular for it ?
Our natural body temp is 98.6 I believe. So 90° won't feel very hot. I put mine on the bottom of enclosure covering only half. So they have a cool side where they can go if needed. I also only put egg crates on the heat side, and food and water crystals on the cool side

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
The website says that it uses heat projection technology to direct the heat upwards, so I don't think the mat itself gets very hot.
I think the mealworms could be a good cc, not sure what people use as cc usually for dubias.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
The website says that it uses heat projection technology to direct the heat upwards, so I don't think the mat itself gets very hot.
I think the mealworms could be a good cc, not sure what people use as cc usually for dubias.
Yeah I just can’t decide on side or bottom placement when I use my biggest container soon.

I’ll test out mealworms see if there any good for cc , I can’t afford to buy lesser mealworms right now . And my spiders aren’t really eating them right now.

Last edited:

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Perhaps tub in tub to make an ambient temperature rather than a hot spot?

444 critters

Arachnosquire
Yeah I just can’t decide on side or bottom placement when I use my biggest container soon.

I’ll test out mealworms see if there any good for cc , I can’t afford to buy lesser mealworms right now . And my spiders aren’t really eating them right now.
The way I figured, heat rises, so I put my mat on the bottom and thermostat right above it, covered it with substrate. Mine sit on a shelf too and havnt had any issues with anything heat sinking and getting too hot. And I have alot haha

20240222_135423.jpg

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
The way I figured, heat rises, so I put my mat on the bottom and thermostat right above it, covered it with substrate. Mine sit on a shelf too and havnt had any issues with anything heat sinking and getting too hot. And I have alot haha

View attachment 468295
Worth thinking about a bit. Like a water bath when cooking. When heat is direct, things are vastly more extreme than a more subtle approach such as water/air heating

loads of fires start (I have had 3 from heat mats and/or heat tape myself, and i used 3 thermostats for every setup). Really worth thinking about.

Thermostats should be placed at the heat source, without question. Meaning, directly on top. For safety. A second thermostat can be placed inside for the animals. A third should be placed in the room connected to sprinkler.

Also note, in many areas, insurance companies won't cover fire damage with such usage of these devices. I know 2 people in canada that lost their house, and all their occupants, and the insurance companies are not playing ball with them because precisely this type of "misuse". Which frankly is understandable.

Far better to make air temperatures better. If wanting to do spot temps, I suggest lights. Can do as the chicken folks do and use red heat lamps. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just be sure it's safe. And your insurance company will cover it when something goes wrong ;)

444 critters

Arachnosquire
Worth thinking about a bit. Like a water bath when cooking. When heat is direct, things are vastly more extreme than a more subtle approach such as water/air heating

loads of fires start (I have had 3 from heat mats and/or heat tape myself, and i used 3 thermostats for every setup). Really worth thinking about.

Thermostats should be placed at the heat source, without question. Meaning, directly on top. For safety. A second thermostat can be placed inside for the animals. A third should be placed in the room connected to sprinkler.

Also note, in many areas, insurance companies won't cover fire damage with such usage of these devices. I know 2 people in canada that lost their house, and all their occupants, and the insurance companies are not playing ball with them because precisely this type of "misuse". Which frankly is understandable.

Far better to make air temperatures better. If wanting to do spot temps, I suggest lights. Can do as the chicken folks do and use red heat lamps. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just be sure it's safe. And your insurance company will cover it when something goes wrong ;)
I understand what you are saying, but these mats are made for seedlings, its not some crappy experiment. They are made to be on the bottom and used this way to warm plants. I chose to use them to warm something else.

Heat tape is direct electricity to wires through a plastic tape. It has no regulation, unless you introduce a outside source.. This comes as a complete set, and specifically is made to work this way. Which is why I suggested it in the first place. There is no electric tape holding wires together 😂.. which can easily cause a fire if you don't know what you are doing... there is a right way to do things, and if you are heating a plastic bin, this regulated system is the way to do it. It's been this way for over 2 years. I havnt even melted the glue on my tape 😏..

Perhaps tub in tub to make an ambient temperature rather than a hot spot?
There would be no cold side for them to escape too.

And I highly doubt your 3 fires were from a heat mat, it was probably heat tape. And it was probably wired wrong or exposed wires that caused a spark.

Plus you said you 3 thermostats? A thermostat regulates temperature. Meaning it will turn off at a certain temperature set. I think you mean THERMOMETER. which only tells you how hot something is. Doesn't regulate anything.

Maybe you should scroll back and read what we are discussing specifically. This Is a heat mat for seedlings... 👍

Last edited:

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Ahh I see. Apologies. I thought regular heat mats (for humans) were being discussed. I haven't had experience with seedling versions, my bad. But the ones intended for people have melted twice on me and Manu times for others I know (reptile setups). The third situation was indeed the flexwatt heat tape, but not at the wire but in the middle because the plastic was warped and melted. Rack setup for pythons. Thankfully I had a thermostat in the rack and it shut off everything. The racks were actually burnt and black, but no fire thankfully. I don't use heat tape after that.

What are the key differences with the seedling heat mats? Have a link? I am now curious if there is indeed a plug n play alternative that is actually safe. I could use one as well for the odd winter drop in temps. I would assume seedling mats are built for animals chewing, water, abrasion, uv etc. But, that is certainly an assumption :)

I mean actual thermostat, not thermometer. The former controls the device 24/7, the later let's us keepers know that spots temp when we check randomly. A thermometer doesn't prevent a fire. I meant a thermostat on the surface of the heat source (because it is directly touching plastic/wood etc, and often being pinched between 2 things), a thermostat inside an enclosure for the animals safety if something made in China goes crooked (in rack systems I always put them in the middle top where things tend to become warmer), and a thermostat in the room to shut off things and turn on a sprinkler system (like a smoke alarm, but actually effective).

444 critters

Arachnosquire
Ahh I see. Apologies. I thought regular heat mats (for humans) were being discussed. I haven't had experience with seedling versions, my bad. But the ones intended for people have melted twice on me and Manu times for others I know (reptile setups). The third situation was indeed the flexwatt heat tape, but not at the wire but in the middle because the plastic was warped and melted. Rack setup for pythons. Thankfully I had a thermostat in the rack and it shut off everything. The racks were actually burnt and black, but no fire thankfully. I don't use heat tape after that.

What are the key differences with the seedling heat mats? Have a link? I am now curious if there is indeed a plug n play alternative that is actually safe. I could use one as well for the odd winter drop in temps. I would assume seedling mats are built for animals chewing, water, abrasion, uv etc. But, that is certainly an assumption :)

I mean actual thermostat, not thermometer. The former controls the device 24/7, the later let's us keepers know that spots temp when we check randomly. A thermometer doesn't prevent a fire. I meant a thermostat on the surface of the heat source (because it is directly touching plastic/wood etc, and often being pinched between 2 things), a thermostat inside an enclosure for the animals safety if something made in China goes crooked (in rack systems I always put them in the middle top where things tend to become warmer), and a thermostat in the room to shut off things and turn on a sprinkler system (like a smoke alarm, but actually effective).
Yeah. I have seen human heat mats get destroyed because there is no regulation, just temp settings and that will indeed heat sink.

The mats I am currently using is called vivosun.. I don't think they are made to be chew proof haha, they have to be used appropriately, but they are well made and I have had no issues thus far. I am currently using 6 of them, 5 are under a roach colony.

Here is a link

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire

Same here, since inverts tend to bury to cool down, I figured a side placement would be best.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah. I have seen human heat mats get destroyed because there is no regulation, just temp settings and that will indeed heat sink.

The mats I am currently using is called vivosun.. I don't think they are made to be chew proof haha, they have to be used appropriately, but they are well made and I have had no issues thus far. I am currently using 6 of them, 5 are under a roach colony.

Here is a link

That’s the brand I nearly bought . My mats only 8”x12” BN link
Same here, since inverts tend to bury to cool down, I figured a side placement would be best.
thats how my current dubia mat is. IMG_7032.jpeg

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter

Here is a link

Cheers. At the very least, they should be better sealed/built as water and pressure is applied to them. The ones for people really seem quite lousy. Seems ironic that the ones meant for people would be less regulated than those for soil. But that's why we have these conversations haha.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Cheers. At the very least, they should be better sealed/built as water and pressure is applied to them. The ones for people really seem quite lousy. Seems ironic that the ones meant for people would be less regulated than those for soil. But that's why we have these conversations haha.
My mats only 8”x12” is that really big enough for a 105 quart container
k
Any idea what’s going on with this one ? IMG_7102.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Seems to be making some sort of egg mass. Maybe they had development issues and the ooth isn't valid.
Yeah it happened before I wasn’t sure if it could still have babies or not afterwards.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
My mats only 8”x12” is that really big enough for a 105 quart container

k
Any idea what’s going on with this one ? View attachment 468765
I have seen that a few times recently as well. Always after the eggs have been expelled. Someone in another thread made a funny comment about blowing things out, female wise. It seems that's, indeed, what is going on ;)

Photographed it once, though to be fair it had a crushed head then a P. metallica envenomation.

Prolapse like yours. The creepy thing was it would go in and out, for 20 minutes. Fully in, and fully out, every 30 seconds or so. Probably the venom and contractions?

For clarity, note the expelled/aborted eggs