Phormictopus, which is the best?

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I want to care for a phormictopus sling, to see if id like more from the genus.
Question is simple, which is the "best" To you, and why?
Preferably include size, whether theyre smaller or larger than average in the genus
Color
Behavior YOU experienced
And growth rate.
These are the factors that tend to sway me.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Phormictopus cancerides.

Sold at 5.6"

I would describe the color as velvety brown, hints of reddish browns and copper tones through the body and carapace.

I would have described my T's behavior as cheeky and not really the type of temperament you would expect from an new world, threat postures were not uncommon and strikes were observed fairly often upon rehousing. Eating response is amazing, fairly aggressive if I could describe it as such. If you keep a level head and you do not take unnecessary risks you should be fine.

Although I did not record the growth rate of this T I would comfortably say it grew much faster than my N. chromatus, faster than my LP and slower or equal to my chilobrachys if that makes any sense :rofl:

All in all I really liked the species, mine tended to burrow so I did not see her as often as I would have liked. (There are keepers who have told me theirs are out all the time)

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Hm if it grows faster than a Nchromatus thats fast! Ive heard they can be quite tempermental for new worlds, though i think i can easily deal with that. Cool

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cancerides are amazing, and were the only Phormictopus species I had ever had until I recently picked up an auratus sling. Photo attached
It's a girl too and she's an amazing hunter, molting more frequently than I expected. It seems like I barely have enough time to fatten her up before she's in premolt again. Amazing little thing.
DSC_0218.jpg

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
It depends on what you're looking for. In terms of personality, I really like my P. auratus. She's easygoing and always visible, but has a wicked feeding response. In terms of appearance, Phormictopus sp. Dominican violet is incredibly colorful, along with Phormictopus sp. green femur. Cancerides is big and beautiful also, with more of an attitude.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I prefer calm spiders(well i dont care, my gf does) so thats helpful to know the arutus may be calmer than most. Its got a pretty golden carapace too!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I prefer calm spiders(well i dont care, my gf does) so thats helpful to know the arutus may be calmer than most. Its got a pretty golden carapace too!
They tend to be a bit more on the mellow but slightly skittish side in terms of Phormictopus I'd say. I wouldn't necessarily count on it being "calm" when compared to, say, a Brachypelma or something, but I think that they are one of the more calm ones in the genus. My female has been great. Great eaters and a good display species.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
For sure I have species that she doesnt come near unless im there, but I do enjoy having some species that she is compelled to feed. The Phormictopus genus is for me, but the calmer it is the more likely she is to enjoy it too.
In particular threat poses scare her a lot, she doesnt even look at my vonwirthi when shes out, she's terrified of it